Request Engine Start?

mytai01

I've noticed that some A/C (ie-F/A-18C) in DCS can't use the radio unless the engine(s) are already started. This means they can't call for engine starts at all. Is this correct? I've tried ground electrical power and even that gives no radios...Is this correct???

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

I've noticed that some A/C (ie-F/A-18C) in DCS can't use the radio unless the engine(s) are already started. This means they can't call for engine starts at all. Is this correct? I've tried ground electrical power and even that gives no radios...Is this correct???

On the F-18 the Batterie(s) only power the canopy, the IFEI and the ignition coils for the engine.

If you want to use the radios then you need to ask the Ground Crew for external electrical power. Once its connected, do the following:

• (1) Switch EXT PWR on RESET (right clic)
  • (2) Switches GND PWR 1, 2 and 4 on B ON (hold each a couple of seconds to engage)

This will get all systems powered, in particular, the radios.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

On the F-18 the Batterie(s) only power the canopy, the IFEI and the ignition coils for the engine.

If you want to use the radios then you need to ask the Ground Crew for external electrical power. Once its connected, do the following:

• (1) Switch EXT PWR on RESET (right clic)
  • (2) Switches GND PWR 1, 2 and 4 on B ON (hold each a couple of seconds to engage)

Cheers

That did the trick! Thanks!

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
On 6/14/2018 at 4:15 PM, Rudel_chw said:

• (1) Switch EXT PWR on RESET (right click)

Sorry for the thread necro - just want to say thanks to @Rudel_chw!  I have been wondering how to ask for engine start in the Hornet.  I haven't seen anyone discuss this in any of the startup vids I've seen.  

image.png

Works exactly as you stated.  👍

Thanks!

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

2 minutes ago, Mistermann said:

I haven't seen anyone discuss this in any of the startup vids I've seen.  

Hi.

The probable reason for that, is that requesting startup clearance is not something that it is done in real US Navy or USAF operations .. I'm not really sure, but it seems to be a Soviet thing, that the primitive ATC of DCS wants us to perform, so you first request clearance for engine start, then clearance to taxi and finally clearance to enter the runway.

• Thanks 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

3 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

Hi.

The probable reason for that, is that requesting startup clearance is not something that it is done in real US Navy or USAF operations .. I'm not really sure, but it seems to be a Soviet thing, that the primitive ATC of DCS wants us to perform, so you first request clearance for engine start, then clearance to taxi and finally clearance to enter the runway.

Really?  Had no idea on that nugget.  Thanks!

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod