Reflective Sabres!

==Wiggy==

I'm not sure who's skin this is...but I've used it as my test bed. To learn this wonky language of PBR texturing. I contacted Belsimtek, and they referred me to the war thunder SDK. Very helpful actually.

Early results of my first time doing any paint stuff in DCS...all I can say is wow! very powerful stuff here. I've done A LOT of metal in P3D for Milviz and others, and so this new method of texturing has a learning curve!

but the reflections are coming! You can see the comparison in the drop tanks which are unchanged, and close to the finish on the original paint.

38324865151_15694cff6b_o.jpg

38324865481_c40e64d12f_o.jpg

38324866111_ca3c0cd8a9_o.jpg

Save

Cheers,

Rick

CSEL\CMEL\IFR

Certified Airplane Nut

If you look at original photos taken in Korea they were nowhere nearly so shiny as the ones you see at airshows today.

Reflectiveness of old jets was a debate that occured many times over the years ... photos from this era were not as good as today's (obviously). Still, no one ever asked a F-86 owner how much polish do they use today to keep them as shiny ... if they use polish.

Taking the highest quality pictures from the 60s-70s (many of them from NASA or USAF tests units), tells us that they're shinier than what i see from your skins. May be wrong tho.

f-86a.jpg

Now, dirtiness can change the perspective, but by how much ?

Nice work Rick.

Edited by Absha

Dunno abkut Sabre jets, but in WWII the ground crews sometimes took it upon themselves to polished the bejesus out of Mustangs, filling in rivet heads and such to make everything flush to squeeze every knot possible out of the airframe. Wouldn't be a stretch to imagine it was the same in Korea.

If you find that my skins are inaccurate, everyone is welcome to not use them, and download other skins they find more accurate. But using a skin I put countless hours in making, stating it's wrong, and changing it to their taste saying "here, this is what it should look like" - I think it crosses a few borders.

PS:

F-86_in_korea.jpg

006e7fbb0f4c1e7e962206f1b7bcdd12.jpg

If you find that my skins are inaccurate, everyone is welcome to not use them, and download other skins they find more accurate. But using a skin I put countless hours in making, stating it's wrong, and changing it to their taste saying "here, this is what it should look like" - I think it crosses a few borders.

OP said he used your skin as a basis to learn the art of skinning in DCS, not that yours was wrong.

Just sayin’...

OP said he used your skin as a basis to learn the art of skinning in DCS, not that yours was wrong.

Just sayin’...

The OP said he's an experienced skinner. He's welcome to experiment on mine, then create something on his own, but this would have required a PM to me asking "hey, can I do this?"

My apologies! I didn't mean to start anything unpleasant! I just entered the modern DCS world very recently; having done Lockon many years ago...

I fly with just a couple of friends online and they actually just sent me all the paints they had. So I hadn't DL any of these, as I'm still not really sure where to get the paints as is. (So I had no idea who did what!) I actually thought the name was indicative of the type of paint (Reflective). So my apologies.

At any rate, nothing meant to offend anyone. If you're not happy with me experimenting with yours, I won't. I respect that. I only did so because I felt like of the ones I had this was by far the most well done. That is all. Your paint is in fact completely accurate. This was only meant as a test bed to see how things work. (I've never used this kind of texture method before). Nothing more. This will never see the light of day outside of screenshots showing my own learning curve progress. I fully plan on doing my own originals. I just felt that starting from something that actually was very well done would yield the best looking results...anyway. As a painter I fully respect your wishes. Please, no hard feelings! At least not from post #1 from me here! Looking to learn from others, not offend anyone!

Aluminum oxidizes fairly easily when exposed to the elements, but all natural finished Sabres would have at some point in their career have been very reflective in the cleaned acid washed state leaving the factory. After that, it would have been up to the maintainers to keep them in whatever condition they could.

Cheers,

Rick

CSEL\CMEL\IFR

Certified Airplane Nut

Rick, it's alright, feel free to experiment. Actually it's the best way to figure out stuff like this: see how others did it, and what variables make them look like that, then adapt to your liking. All I'm asking is that when you do upload a work of yours it be 100% yours. Looking forward to seeing the first shiny Sabre! ;)

The OP said he's an experienced skinner. He's welcome to experiment on mine, then create something on his own, but this would have required a PM to me asking "hey, can I do this?"

He doesn't have to, because his work is private and he only shares screenshots of his experiment. And nobody said it's wrong, we're putting arguments to discuss about a thing you said : "If you look at original photos taken in Korea they were nowhere nearly so shiny as the ones you see at airshows today.".

It's a discussion you know ?

Now, let's be honest, if your first picture is not-that-far in terms on reflectiveness from your skins, the second is really showing something interesting : you can see the environment in the jet, which is, afaik, not the case for your skins. Maybe a little bit too matty ?

Again, could be wrong.

He doesn't have to, because his work is private and he only shares screenshots of his experiment. And nobody said it's wrong, we're putting arguments to discuss about a thing you said : "If you look at original photos taken in Korea they were nowhere nearly so shiny as the ones you see at airshows today.".

It's a discussion you know ?

Now, let's be honest, if your first picture is not-that-far in terms on reflectiveness from your skins, the second is really showing something interesting : you can see the environment in the jet, which is, afaik, not the case for your skins. Maybe a little bit too matty ?

Again, could be wrong.

Have you seen objects on the wings of my Sabres in DCS? I haven't seen anything being placed that close.

Check this one: I'm pretty sure I can see the horizon and the landscape reflected from the fuselage.

Untitled-1.jpg

I'm pretty sure reflectivity was all over the place. newer jets were shinier, war weary ones might even have been matte. There is no single "accurate solution" here.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I've finally had the chance to look over the paint kit...which I was unaware of previously! Sorry, a total noobie here in DCS realm...My apologies to Reflected for that...but since then I've been messing with the kit to come to some kind of "base metal"...just to come to grips with how the textures all interact...getting there....here's my 5th attempt....lol....getting better...I could go with this for now, until I get a more fluid understanding about how this new PBR system works. I setup the Spec Paint file with Discreet shading per channel so that I can perform non destructive tests....I really need getting used to it, but man, once it's setup, seems like it's a great way to go. I like this work flow, compared to P3D....I do find a few things annoying but on the whole it's not too bad switching back and forth.

38504567134_589f659c84_o.jpg

39184245372_ffa76f30bb_o.jpg

38504562084_638b02bca8_o.jpg

Cheers,

Rick

CSEL\CMEL\IFR

Certified Airplane Nut

I modified one of my older bare metal skins to be more reflective and I must say the results are Jaw dropping!

tKikNWS.jpg

Holy crap Carss.. any chance of uploading that skin someplace??.. I'd love to use it for a couple of videos

Edited by philstyle

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

tKikNWS.jpg

Holy crap Carss.. any chance of uploading that skin someplace??.. I'd love to use it for a couple of videos

Haha, already done! ;) You can download it Here

I'm going to be uploading more similarly

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Planes: FC3, P-51, F-86, F-5E, Mirage 2000, F/A-18, F-14, F-16, Mig-19P :joystick:

ED pls gib A-4 and F-4 :cry:

Well, I've finally had the chance to look over the paint kit...which I was unaware of previously! Sorry, a total noobie here in DCS realm...My apologies to Reflected for that...but since then I've been messing with the kit to come to some kind of "base metal"...just to come to grips with how the textures all interact...getting there....here's my 5th attempt....lol....getting better...I could go with this for now, until I get a more fluid understanding about how this new PBR system works. I setup the Spec Paint file with Discreet shading per channel so that I can perform non destructive tests....I really need getting used to it, but man, once it's setup, seems like it's a great way to go. I like this work flow, compared to P3D....I do find a few things annoying but on the whole it's not too bad switching back and forth.

38504567134_589f659c84_o.jpg

39184245372_ffa76f30bb_o.jpg

38504562084_638b02bca8_o.jpg

Rick,

Amazing job there! Shiny, reflective, but not overdone at all. Bravo!

Thanks Reflected! Appreciate that. One question:. Is it possible to load a paint in the sim without the tail numbers? I see that if you simply leave it blank it shows as "000". Is there an option somewhere to turn off those numbers?

Cheers,

Rick

CSEL\CMEL\IFR

Certified Airplane Nut