AV-8B Harrier Thread

Angelthunder

And I do not think the prospect can distort the air intake and turbine up to this point

I agree, the WIP Pegasus fan diameter looks a little small and/or the intake too small.

attachment.php?attachmentid=167870&stc=1&d=1503337083

2004333802_Pegasusfansize..thumb.jpg.5584242d26ddeec153bbc2307d955209.jpg

i9 9900K @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, the WIP Pegasus fan diameter looks a little small and/or the intake too small.

In fact, looking at these photos, the angle of vision is practically the same, so the perspective affects the least.

20934109_1441529829266984_5154643630754019189_o.jpg?oh=24894cbf6e61019cfb29d79f9aadbe0e&oe=5A34D72A

thumb-1920-648501.jpg

The difference seems obvious to me.

:thumbup:

20992843_1441529802600320_6944591464065179967_n.jpg?oh=5fe510041af7e445b5c970b6acb449b1&oe=5A2EDFB6

:music_whistling::music_whistling: :music_whistling:

wow. that looks great. where did you get it from?

also which city is it in the background?

*edit* just answered it myself: should be abu dhabi! smartass.gif

Edited by twistking

Well, I don't think so. To me it looks like it is pretty accurate and just a matter of perspective.17e4bce78615474f96f4d13835a7be47.jpg387a8d08603033329ff9265c6b3fefd5.jpg13e280d1eb756cb9f29bcd2684dfca41.jpg

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Fun fact from a book that Im currently reading: 79% of ordnance used by AV-8B's during OIF (Operation Iraqi Freedom) was precision-guided munition. Most commonly used was GBU-12, GBU-16 and LMAV.

Usually working in a pair of two, AV-8B Harrier II+ with radar and AV-8B Harrier II NA.

One would be carrying a TGP and either an LMAV or GBU-12 on opposite station. The other would usually carry 2xGBU-12 (or 16). Both jets would also have 2xtanks on the inner stations.

The TGP was a real gamechanger, and they used buddy-lasing as the TGP usually only was fitted on one jet in each team.

Sidewinders was not needed on the jet. The ECM pod was very rarely carried as it created drag and most radar SAM defenses was down. Cannon was carried during certain periods, but not so often as one would think. The reason for not always carrying the cannon was quite simple. Shoulderfired IR SAM threats was pretty high, and a 10000ft hard ceiling was imposed on the Harriers to avoid those threats, rendering the cannons useless. When the ceiling was not imposed during the operation, the cannon was actually a very good and precise CAS weapon.

No real mention of the AGM-122 sidearm (other than it was tested carried in the mid/late 90's) or unguided weapons. There was another book on Harriers in the Gulf War, might be more info about the iron stuff there...

In fact, looking at these photos, the angle of vision is practically the same, so the perspective affects the least.

The difference seems obvious to me.

:thumbup:

Again, slight differences in the angle in which the photo was taken, and two completely different focal lengths... Make a big difference

(I am also a photographer)

Come check me out on

YouTube!

Twitch!

Have a listen to the Alert 5 Podcast - YOUR source for the latest combat flight simulation news!

New video... Nice!

Totally wrong CCRP. ASL randomly fixed in the middle of the pitch ladder, (instead of behaving as a kind of "flight director bar" guiding to the computed drop solution); pitch ladder which still is not wind-corrected.

I don't understand you guys complaining about the 3D model, when there are so evident MISTAKES in the avionics fundations.

Regards!

Edited by amalahama
  • Like 1

Totally wrong CCRP. ASL randomly fixed in the middle of the pitch ladder, (instead of behaving as a flight director guiding to the programmed drop point); pitch ladder which still is not wind-corrected.

I don't understand you guys complaining about the 3D model, when there are so evident MISTAKES in the avionics fundations.

Regards!

Agreed, maybe work in progress. You might want to point Razbam at this and detail how it behaves in the real AV-8B.

Very little photographs from the HUD in the books I have...

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Totally wrong CCRP. ASL randomly fixed in the middle of the pitch ladder, (instead of behaving as a kind of "flight director bar" guiding to the computed drop solution); pitch ladder which still is not wind-corrected.

Regards!

Two solutions here :

1/ This is a WIP element.

2/ The Harrier pilot working with Razbam has no clue how his plane was operating.

I'll wait for the module being released and read about the first feedbacks before complaining.

There are only two types of aircraft, fighters and targets. - Major Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson, USMC

Considering, that books and construction drawings from the fuselage and even for the engine exist a plenty, I am pretty sure they didn't "draw the model free hand" and used a CAD program like any other 3rd party.

So I am pretty sure it is modeled to scale and with correct geometry.

Photographs for comparison need to be from the exact same angle, distance and focal length to show differences.

Judging 3D objects with 2D pictures is very difficult... ;)

We will check your observation and if a change is indeed needed we will do it.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

Fun fact from a book that Im currently reading: 79% of ordnance used by AV-8B's during OIF (Operation Iraqi Freedom) was precision-guided munition. Most commonly used was GBU-12, GBU-16 and LMAV.

Usually working in a pair of two, AV-8B Harrier II+ with radar and AV-8B Harrier II NA.

One would be carrying a TGP and either an LMAV or GBU-12 on opposite station. The other would usually carry 2xGBU-12 (or 16). Both jets would also have 2xtanks on the inner stations.

The TGP was a real gamechanger, and they used buddy-lasing as the TGP usually only was fitted on one jet in each team.

Sidewinders was not needed on the jet. The ECM pod was very rarely carried as it created drag and most radar SAM defenses was down. Cannon was carried during certain periods, but not so often as one would think. The reason for not always carrying the cannon was quite simple. Shoulderfired IR SAM threats was pretty high, and a 10000ft hard ceiling was imposed on the Harriers to avoid those threats, rendering the cannons useless. When the ceiling was not imposed during the operation, the cannon was actually a very good and precise CAS weapon.

No real mention of the AGM-122 sidearm (other than it was tested carried in the mid/late 90's) or unguided weapons. There was another book on Harriers in the Gulf War, might be more info about the iron stuff there...

I read a note in a book about AV-8B NA and Plus in operation Southern Watch. Many will be loaded with sidearms and mavericks and would go SAM/AAA hunting. All sidearms were expended there.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

Why would they use a ceiling (a maximum altitude) to counter MANPADS... did you mean they had a hard deck (a minimum altitude) of 10 000ft to make sure they never flew below the MANPADS envelope?

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

DCS Finland | SF squadron

Two solutions here :

1/ This is a WIP element.

2/ The Harrier pilot working with Razbam has no clue how his plane was operating.

I'll wait for the module being released and read about the first feedbacks before complaining.

What sort of solutions are those? The only solution possible is to fix it. I don't care if they work with a Harrier pilot. The behavior of the ASL is just WRONG, and anyone with experience in Falcon and A-10C DCS will immediately realize of the mistake. The implementation can vary a tad between platforms, but the mechanics are always the same: Azimuth Steering Line (see the name?) provides the direction cue to fly towards the computed released point.

Regards

• Like 1

@MikeMikeJ - ofc, I meant hard deck. They needed to fly over 10k ft.

@Zeus67 - I did not know that the Agm-122 was used for SAM/AAA hunting during Southern Watch. Very cool! Thx for that piece of info.

Found a pretty good article about the AGM-122 and some pictures. It was auite effective and reliable and used a type of "pop-up" flight profile. Make sense as it was also mounted on low flying helicopters.

I guess it will be hard to simulate the damage properly. Blasting the entire vehicle to bits is not entirely realistic... One way to go might be to damage the radar/vechicle below 50% health. If im not wrong ED implemented that damaged SAM/Radars will shut down below a certain health in DCS.

I guess it will be hard to simulate the damage properly. Blasting the entire vehicle to bits is not entirely realistic... One way to go might be to damage the radar/vechicle below 50% health. If im not wrong ED implemented that damaged SAM/Radars will shut down below a certain health in DCS.

Yeah currently if a SAM/AAA is damaged to below 50% HP it is still alive, but stops targeting. It can still move but just cannot utilize its weapons or radar. I've seen it a few times in the sim, normally when an ARM has a near miss. This would definitely be the best way to do it I think :thumbup:

Also.. you got a link to that article? I'd be very interested in reading it!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What sort of solutions are those? The only solution possible is to fix it. I don't care if they work with a Harrier pilot. The behavior of the ASL is just WRONG, and anyone with experience in Falcon and A-10C DCS will immediately realize of the mistake. The implementation can vary a tad between platforms, but the mechanics are always the same: Azimuth Steering Line (see the name?) provides the direction cue to fly towards the computed released point.

Regards

LOL, someone is cheesed, you do understand that its WIP, if you ACTUALLY LOOK at the captions you can read "this is WIP." So please quit your whining and let the devs work, they have heard your opinion/statement now move on.

BTW you linked two videos to very different planes, unless you have a video of the AV8B hud on ccip, idk what ur argument is.

I was inverted B)

LOL, someone is cheesed, you do understand that its WIP, if you ACTUALLY LOOK at the captions you can read "this is WIP." So please quit your whining and let the devs work, they have heard your opinion/statement now move on.

BTW you linked two videos to very different planes, unless you have a video of the AV8B hud on ccip, idk what ur argument is.

Yep I know it's WIP, what worrying me is that even the caption in the video is a bad understanding on how AUTO (aka CCRP) works.

But if you don't like the videos of similar platforms doing CCRP (good luck finding one on the Harrier), just take the TAC Harrier manual and check. Since I'm a good person and again, my only aiming is that everybody gets the best Harrier possible, I took the trouble of looking up by myself, see attachment.

Regards!

P.S- In the second attachment (also taken from Harrier TAC manual), it can be seen how ASL is sticked to the TD, pilot only has to put the velocity vector on the ASL to reach the computed release point. If you include the wind into equation, and if ASL always crosses the TD, that means that the velocity vector needs to be wind corrected. Because all pictures show the VVI in the middle of the pitch ladder, I assume that also the pitch ladder is wind corrected, but I need to more carefully read the docs for assurance.

DEMO.jpg.97de08b1233f3fb9013675cfb53e8ce5.jpg

DEMO2.jpg.5057258449a65ccc8a12ddd448faee91.jpg

Edited by amalahama

Keep Calm pal. :joystick:

We want the best Harrier simulation possible so all information is welcome. Amalahama provided very useful information to the developers so, what's the problem?