[INVESTIGATING] Losing 1 wing and keeping ...

Anatoli-Kagari9

It appears to me that there is something really still too "Early Access" in the Spitfire module, although I have noticed the same happening to other modules as well...

I usually take the Spitfire in the "Battle over the Lake" SP Mission that comes with it and sometimes while chasing one of the Axis aircraft I get shot by another one chasing my Spitfire, lose the port or the starboard wing ( more often the port ) to the root, but the effect is practically unperceptible until I see flames and look...

I believe that the true thing would wildly start to roll ?

Either it is still a very crude damage model that causes this behaviour or the flight dynamics need some tuning right ?

Edited by jcomm

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

Indeed. I managed to nurse one back home and land in such a condition.

I think we will have to wait for the full working release of 2.0/2.5 for a more reasonable approach to damage modelling.

There are two (related but seperate) sides to this:

1. Modelling the appropriate level and location of damage itself (Damage recognition modelling) on the air-frame, and

2. Modelling the effects of damage on the handling characteristics of an aircraft and its systems (Damage flight modelling).

The current system seems to have been built for modern weapons, where a crude damage model is OK, given that modern weapons like missiles (unless a near-by blast) deal so much impact. Older mid-20th century weapons might only hit with three or four small MG rounds. It requires a somewhat more sophisticated damage systems to make sense of this kind of "tickling" damage, and model its effects accordingly.

Edited by philstyle
  • Like 1

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

• ED Team
It appears to me that there is something really still too "Early Access" in the Spitfire module, although I have noticed the same happening to other modules as well...

I usually take the Spitfire in the "Battle over the Lake" SP Mission that comes with it and sometimes while chasing one of the Axis aircraft I get shot by another one chasing my Spitfire, lose the port or the starboard wing ( more often the port ) to the root, but the effect is practically unperceptible until I see flames and look...

I believe that the true thing would wildly start to roll ?

Either it is still a very crude damage model that causes this behaviour or the flight dynamics need some tuning right ?

Same old song... these guys did not know that they must violently roll...

https://www.google.ru/search?q=one+wing+SBD&newwindow=1&espv=2&biw=1791&bih=1084&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiv-5GywvHRAhWhQJoKHYRtCSEQ_AUIBigB#imgrc=BnF9t_rpchTyOM:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/24/f1/aa/24f1aa346edfd932a64c995d6abc5868.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/07/11/article-2013219-0CF541DC00000578-267_964x649.jpg

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

TRANSLATION:

There is substantial evidence that wing-tip (or more) loss, does not necessarily result in wild amounts of wing roll. See links provided.

:)

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

There's a difference between flying with part of the wing missing and flying with only one wing. The first poster said he lost the wing to the root. I witnessed a spit the other day completely lose its right wing, not a partial loss but complete, and still had controlled flight. In the 109 when I lose an entire wing it always leads to an uncontrollable roll to the ground.

There's a difference between flying with part of the wing missing and flying with only one wing. The first poster said he lost the wing to the root. I witnessed a spit the other day completely lose its right wing, not a partial loss but complete, and still had controlled flight. In the 109 when I lose an entire wing it always leads to an uncontrollable roll to the ground.

This!

I flew one day with only one wing, or at least, i couldn't see anything else from the wing from my cockpit, but i would have been able to land if nobody would have shot me...

there's also a video from someone who recorded me flying with less than 1.5 of my wings

In all of these cases there was still a substantial amount of wing that is able to create lift. If the wing were to be completely missing from the root at the fuselage, wouldn't the complete lack of lift on one side result in a roll?

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

• ED Team
In all of these cases there was still a substantial amount of wing that is able to create lift. If the wing were to be completely missing from the root at the fuselage, wouldn't the complete lack of lift on one side result in a roll?

THis moment answers your question :)

and this one

Anyway, the total effect depends on the lift the wing or g-load before the breakdown. Then the secondary effects can be due to control cables uncontrollable input due to damaged lines or to the uncontrollable stick movement due to changed hinge moment from the single aileron.

Edited by Yo-Yo

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

To me DCS has very forgiving flight characteristics overall. This 109 lost both of its wings and still flies.

Source: DefaultFace. https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3028809&postcount=91

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

To be fair the above case only happens when you rarely manage to get an equal break on both sides. Even then usually it still ends in a quick death.

When one wing is lost to the root it tends to be uncontrollable. That being said I've definitely seen Spits with wings lost to the wing root just fly like it was normal several times in the last week or so. All aircraft do it in DCS. Not to mention Mustangs with grapefruit sized holes in their wings that can still pull max performance turns....... Hopefully the new Damage Model will address the aerodynamic effects of damage as well.

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

I can add to this yet another episode where the whole tail section of my Spitfire was ripped off by a chasing Fw190, and I kept pursuing the 109 ahead of me, feeling the aircraft a bit strange, but still flying...

As I changed to external view and noticed the whole tail section wasn't there, just out of curiosity I started waving the rudder and the elevator, which got no effect ( at least that was coherent...), until after some aileron input the Spitfire entered a flat spin, all the way to the ground - I mean really flat!

To me DCS has very forgiving flight characteristics overall. This 109 lost both of its wings and still flies.

Source: DefaultFace. https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3028809&postcount=91

I'm aware of Default's video and it is highly questionable if a plane could fly with two equally damaged though short wings, but I have never lost an entire wing to the root and been able to fly. That seems completely out of the realm of possibility.

Also lost my Wing in the Spit only tiny little of the wing was still there, was little bit impressed how this thing was even flying straight, but after Spit was just released and the k4 was patched over 2 Years think he is addressing this also.

I wonder how US airforce get this Bird in the Air without bend the Physic with 7,5 Tonnes take off weight and wing Profile from a Knife...

300px-Douglas_X-3_NASA_E-17348.jpg

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

Also lost my Wing in the Spit only tiny little of the wing was still there, was little bit impressed how this thing was even flying straight, but after Spit was just released and the k4 was patched over 2 Years think he is addressing this also.

I wonder how US airforce get this Bird in the Air without bend the Physic with 7,5 Tonnes take off weight and wing Profile from a Knife...

300px-Douglas_X-3_NASA_E-17348.jpg

Easy, its just needs power .. like rocket ;)

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team

First of all, let's be accurate in the definitions: the plane lost less than 50% of the wing area and it does not equal to "lost both wings".

Then let's think about the Spitfire loosing both tips... then - Yak-1 that lost about 2.5 sq m when turning into Yak-3. And they both flied!

And they fly too...

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2188718#post2188718

Edited by Yo-Yo

• ED Team
Yo-Yo

I'm not saying the spit lost 20, 40, or 60% of a wing. I'm saying 95-100% of the wing was missing and it was flying level and was even able to make a left turn and went back to level flight.

If you really lost all of the wing you fly a missile with 1/15 of the lift it has with the wing the L/D not more then 1.5-2... you still call it forgiving?? Including that you have no means to counteract the torque because sideslip to roll coupling is nothing without the wings.

P.S. I just checked this case - the video will be tomorrow, but I must say that nobody can call it " a flight"... :) So, your information about "146% wingless flight" is not correct.

Edited by Yo-Yo

Yo-Yo I believe Darkraiderss means losing 95-100% of one wing not of the total wing area. i.e. 50% of the surface area lost but with an asymmetric break (one wing completely gone, the other still there).

I, as well as a few others here, can confirm that the spit seems to be able to just balance this out with the rudder and keep flying. It is also by no means a rare occurrence.

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

Yo-Yo I believe Darkraiderss means losing 95-100% of one wing not of the total wing area. i.e. 50% of the surface area lost but with an asymmetric break (one wing completely gone, the other still there).

I, as well as a few others here, can confirm that the spit seems to be able to just balance this out with the rudder and keep flying. It is also by no means a rare occurrence.

This!

This is another way to put what has been said several times.

Edited by DarkRaiderss

• ED Team

Noway...

I don't have even Nvidia Shadowplay enabled because my system is rather old... OTOH, recording a flight in DCS is still bugged, so, it's not going to be a video by me, but I can confirm having had my wing ripped to the root...

Yet, I was at low G, probably very near 1G, so no great forces were being applied, and this could account for not spinning around the moment the wing got ripped off...

Regarding the tail thing, that's a different story, because with a tail ripped off I would expect at least a deep nose down pitching .... certainly not a shallow / flat spin, and all with the engine still working....