Tacview, the ACMI for DCS World – Official Thread

Vyrtuoz

Hi Vyrtuoz,

the latest Tacview patch is awesome. :thumbup: One more time: Thanks and keep up your great work.

The new "add object" is a very nice feature, but ... it's not transmitted via the online debriefing, right? Every participent in the online debriefing has to add his own objects. :(

Is it planned to transmit the added objects of the host in a future patch?

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nice work Gliptal!

Like video games Tacview supports one sided triangles only. So you have to make sure your triangles are properly oriented in Blender (counter clock wise).

Try to export your object with the following options: File -> Export OBJ -> No Normals / No UVs / No Materials / Triangulate Faces -> -Z forward / Y Up

Then reload it in Blender and make sure faces are displayed one sided only. This should show which ones have the wrong orientation so you can “invert” them the proper way.

I managed to model a low-poly Tornado yesteday evening (https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=174526), although I'm having problems getting it to render correctly in Tacview. Any chance you could share how the mesh is rendered by Tacview Vyrtuoz? It seems like the normal recalculation in Tacview is calculating a number of faces as being in the inside of the model, making it seethrough in many of its parts.

Thanks!

tacview-signature-512x128x24.png

Indeed, the tool to create or edit objects does not send data over the network. I have to create it quickly for local debriefing. I will need more time to make it work nicely with the online debriefing.

Meanwhile, you may add the object (bullseye) in an empty world and share the tiny resulting file with your mates so they can merge it with their own data.

Hi Vyrtuoz,

the latest Tacview patch is awesome. :thumbup: One more time: Thanks and keep up your great work.

The new "add object" is a very nice feature, but ... it's not transmitted via the online debriefing, right? Every participent in the online debriefing has to add his own objects. :(

Is it planned to transmit the added objects of the host in a future patch?

Nice work Gliptal!

Like video games Tacview supports one sided triangles only. So you have to make sure your triangles are properly oriented in Blender (counter clock wise).

Try to export your object with the following options: File -> Export OBJ -> No Normals / No UVs / No Materials / Triangulate Faces -> -Z forward / Y Up

Then reload it in Blender and make sure faces are displayed one sided only. This should show which ones have the wrong orientation so you can “invert” them the proper way.

Many thanks, reloading the .obj in blender did it! I simply had Blender recalculate the normals on the imported model and re-exported it, it now is rendered correctly rendered by Tacview.

I attached the .obj file for anyone who wants to use it. Instructions on how to add it in Tacview are available on the website: http://www.tacview.net/documentation/3dobjects/en/.

Feel free to use it at your liking Vyrtuoz, you may freely add it to Tacview if you deem it of high enough quality.

pQVrh2e.jpg

H3KbPAS.jpg

vdRBswD.jpg

rZLSNdz.jpg

DVk1Opa.jpg

ISYEajJ.jpg

tornado.zip

Edited by Gliptal

• 1 month later...

About the new flight recorder

New Exporter Comming Soon

As announced a few days ago on Twitter, I have resumed my work on the new Tacview exporter for DCS World.

What have changed during the past 10 years?

• Battlefields are much busier. Thousand ground and air units are common these days.
  • DCS World can export much more data than ever.
  • Tacview has evolved a lot too and can now manage any kind of data, in astronomical amount, and soon in real-time!

What’s wrong with the current exporter?

The current LUA exporter is now 10 years old. Even if it is working fine, it needs a rejuvenation cure for the following reasons:

• Made of LUA script, it is not as fast as I would like, especially with overcrowded battlefields. For example, the current export script can take up to 10% of CPU.
  • Because of LUA, many programming features are not available or very complicated/slow to code: For example, it is not possible to compress the exported data.
  • DCS World is now offering an extended API which offers much more possibilities than 10 years ago. For example, it should now be possible to export mission data like waypoints.

What about the new exporter?

The new exporter will be 100% made of C++. Which means that is it going to be as fast and powerful as possible is can be.

• Deeply optimized and multithreaded the new exporter will take less than 1% of CPU. Please note that this exclude DCS World LoGetWorldObjects() bug explained bellow.
  • Data export frequency and resolution will be tweaked to both same storage space and gives more accurate replays.
  • The created files will be already optimized and compressed. No need to re-save your files from Tacview anymore!
  • An efficient network connection will be possible between DCS World exporter and Tacview so you can see a battlefield evolving in real-time.
  • An anti-cheat system will be implemented so you can delay data review to prevent people from spying your network session while still enabling data export for later debriefing.
  • All cockpit available data will be exported and will be displayable in Tacview telemetry windows and in the HUD view.

Feel free to post any remarks, questions and suggestions on this thread.

About DCS World export performance issue:

DCS World LoGetWorldObjects() currently takes about 20% of CPU. This is a bug which can only be fixed by ED dev team. There is nothing we can do on Tacview site do fix this performance issue. For example: This is the most important export function and we must call it at least once a frame to know what is going on. Because without it, it is not possible to know which objects have been created/deleted/updated.

With Tacview 1.5.1 you can check your DCS.log file after a mission to see by how much CPU Tacview LUA exporter and LoGetWorldObjects() are taking to export data.

For instance, they are respectively taking:

• Tacview LUA script AddUpdateObjects(): 10% CPU (Tacview side, will be fixed)
  • DCS World LoGetWorldObjects(): 20% CPU (ED dev team side)

02995.954 INFO    LuaExport::LuaExportStart: [Tacview.UpdateLog] Profile Time=[30.0s] Frame Rate=[30.9 fps] w/o Export=[44.7 fps] DCS Ratio=[69.0%] Export Ratio=[31.0%]
02995.954 INFO    LuaExport::LuaExportStart: -------- Profiled Section -------- | CallCount | Ratio | Total |
02995.954 INFO    LuaExport::LuaExportStart: AddUpdateObjects(ballistic)        |       926 |  0.1% |  0.0% |
02995.954 INFO    LuaExport::LuaExportStart: AddUpdateObjects(units)            |       926 | 31.2% |  9.7% |
02995.954 INFO    LuaExport::LuaExportStart: LoGetWorldObjects(ballistic) [C++] |       926 |  0.4% |  0.1% |
02995.954 INFO    LuaExport::LuaExportStart: LoGetWorldObjects(units) [C++]     |       926 | 67.4% | 20.9% |
02995.954 INFO    LuaExport::LuaExportStart: RemoveObjects                      |       926 |  0.6% |  0.2% |

I will add an anti-cheat option so the host of the game can decide if the clients can record or not the flight in progress. Clients will not be able to export data without prior approval of the server.

Another option will enable the host to create a file for each client, so each squadron member can get his/her file after the flight (assuming your server can share files).

I will discuss further the new options as soon as the new exporter is working enough.

Tacview command line options will not change. Also, all the exported files will already be optimized and compressed, so it will not be necessary anymore to use Tacview command line to do so after each flight for example.

New export script v1.5.2

Tacview 1.5.1 export script is not working with the latest beta version of DCS World.

So, I have published a fix in Tacview 1.5.2 beta 1:

If you do not have a license to use beta versions of Tacview you can manually install the latest script by follow the instructions provided in the documentation:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tacview 1.5.2 is available

You can now download Tacview 1.5.2 which introduces a few fixes while waiting for the next major upgrade: http://tacview.net/download/

Amongst other things, this version fixes a crash in the LUA data exporter with DCS World 1.5.5.

I am still working on the new exporter and I hope to be able to release a beta version by the end of the year.

May I suggest you ?

I didn't read the whole forum but could I suggest you (if it isn't already WIP) to give the possibility to display all the exact infos on the hud like what is displayed inside the game ? I am thinking about ILS informations and autopilot (and why not the radio too). It should be usefull to analyse IFR approach precisely from Tacview cockpit view.

Thank you.:smilewink:

@Gliptal

Can you share me a short track file (.trk) with JDAM launch? I will check if this is a DCS or Tacview bug.

@Bahnzo

Not sure about what you mean by highlighting. When you select your aircraft as the main object, it is outlined and its label displays more information than for the other objects. Can you share a screenshot so I can see what you mean?

@Bahnzo

Not sure about what you mean by highlighting. When you select your aircraft as the main object, it is outlined and its label displays more information than for the other objects. Can you share a screenshot so I can see what you mean?

I'm talking about the Flight Log showing the events of the file. It would be more than useful to be able to highlight yourself (or other people/objects, ie, your wingman) so that all your actions are easily shown or stand out over all others, making it much easier to find those actions in the list.

@Bahnzo

Absolutely! A long time ago I have added a first improvement in that direction: The events related to the selected objects are highlighted in the time line.

Now, I completely agree that the even log is overcrowded with the current DCS world battlefields. I am going to redo it completely in Tacview 2.0. It will be much clearer and more contextual like the timeline.

@Chicki

Just download and run the installer. There is no need to uninstall older versions (unless you are installing explicitly each version in a separate folder). When you install Tacview, it is installed on top on the previous version. Beta version are installed in a separate folder so you can easily have both the latest stable release and the latest beta on your system.

@Gliptal

Thank you for the data! If this is a bug in my exporter, I will fix it for the next release. Else I will let you know if the data I am receiving from DCS World are just incomplete.

All right, I can confirm that the wrong orientation of JDAMs is a bug of DCS World export interface.

As a workaround, the new exporter (still in alpha version) will not export rotations for guided bombs so they will be more nicely displayed in Tacview.

@Bahnzo

Absolutely! A long time ago I have added a first improvement in that direction: The events related to the selected objects are highlighted in the time line.

Now, I completely agree that the even log is overcrowded with the current DCS world battlefields. I am going to redo it completely in Tacview 2.0. It will be much clearer and more contextual like the timeline.

Great. It really would make things clearer. Even with the highlighting on the time line, it's easy to change the object and lose yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey folks, I think I need your expertise again. I have followed the troubleshooting tips here and on the Tacview site, created a clean export.lua file with only Tacview content, uninstalled every mod, and then reinstalled Tacview.

It seems I still have some kind of lua error in my logs, probably a result of an old mod I no longer use. Unfortunately, I have no idea where to find the references to these lua files that are no longer there...any tips on how to track those down?

In the spoilers are the error messages from the logs, in case that helps.

00040.497 ERROR DX11BACKEND: rendertarget "SmokeTrailNoiseTex" not found

00040.527 ERROR DX11BACKEND: texture "wic/normal_huge.png" not found

00040.533 ERROR DX11BACKEND: texture "normal_tmp.png" not found

00040.536 ERROR DX11BACKEND: texture "testAtlas.dds" not found

00040.544 ERROR VFS: Can't open file models/groundExplosion_03_01.lua.

00040.544 ERROR EFFECTS: FFX: file 'models/groundExplosion_03_01.lua' is not exist

00040.544 ERROR EFFECTS: FFX effect 'groundExplosion_03_01' not loaded

00040.546 ERROR VFS: Can't open file models/groundExplosion_03_02.lua.

00040.546 ERROR EFFECTS: FFX: file 'models/groundExplosion_03_02.lua' is not exist

00040.546 ERROR EFFECTS: FFX effect 'groundExplosion_03_02' not loaded

00040.547 ERROR VFS: Can't open file models/groundExplosion_03_03.lua.

00040.547 ERROR EFFECTS: FFX: file 'models/groundExplosion_03_03.lua' is not exist

00040.547 ERROR EFFECTS: FFX effect 'groundExplosion_03_03' not loaded

00040.548 ERROR VFS: Can't open file models/groundExplosion_03_04.lua.

00040.548 ERROR EFFECTS: FFX: file 'models/groundExplosion_03_04.lua' is not exist

00040.548 ERROR EFFECTS: FFX effect 'groundExplosion_03_04' not loaded

00040.549 ERROR VFS: Can't open file models/groundExplosion_03_05.lua.

00040.549 ERROR EFFECTS: FFX: file 'models/groundExplosion_03_05.lua' is not exist

00040.549 ERROR EFFECTS: FFX effect 'groundExplosion_03_05' not loaded

00040.552 ERROR EFFECTS: OParticleSystem: error reading 'groundExplosion' emitter in Config/Effects/ParticleSystem2/groundExplosion.lua

00040.557 ERROR VFS: Can't open file models/barrel01.psm.

00040.557 ERROR EFFECTS: OParticleSystem: file models/barrel01.psm not exist

Thanks!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Zilch79's YouTube Channel:

Zilch,

Some of the errors you are listing are for special effects rather than for LUA stuff. So, they should not be a problem and should not prevent data export.

You may want to try a REPEAIR with DCS World updater to fix them. In the worst case, a clean re-install will surely fix any issue related to obsolete add-ons.

The new Tacview exporter (which should be available in the coming weeks) will not be subject to errors happening in other modules.

I've been trying to do some analysis of dog-fighting tactics (P-51D vs Bf-109-K4), and of course one of the most important things I was looking for was the AIS of the 109, because I of course have the AIS of the 51, because I'm flying it :joystick:.

I read somewhere that the issue is, that the AIS data of the 109, or any other non-player controlled aircraft, is not recorded, because DCSW is not displaying it in the cockpit of an AC, and therefore doesn't have the data to record, only the positional data of the model, from the outside so to say.

Is there really no way to tickle this data out of DCSW and into the export? :huh:

Edited by Captain Orso

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

You are correct: Like may advanced telemetry data, IAS is available only for the local player aircraft. DCS World does not make it available for other aircraft.

I know this is not perfect, but you should be able to see an estimate of the CAS displayed in HUD view and in the telemetry window.

I will try to calculate a more accurate CAS and maybe even the IAS in the future, when I will be able to extract more important information like weather data from DCS.