VKB Gladiator WWII joystick

Sokol1_br

"Teasing" the Kosmosimov "two handed" stick concept.

post-979-0-21508900-1474337240.jpg

Looks tank gunner controls, probable the left grip

and the thing pivot in vertical axis, besides X, Y movements.

Interesting, reminds me of Tank/APC controls and the Atari yoke, got any more/better pics? Pitch is obvious, is the second axis yaw?

Spent a good while looking at those things when I was coming up with my kinematic test model for the 6dof spaceyoke I'm working on.

${1}

When my left hand Warthogs are ready it will be made with modded r/l warty grips.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

VKB Gunfighter "leaked news" - or why they are delayed "Two weeks, be sure"™. :)

For one not used with, "Two weeks, be sure"™ is a measurement of time in "Dr.OM'World" time scale (a kind of Maya calendar), for what are various interpretations. :D

The last, from FSC is "Most likely Q1 next year". :)

Note that this "Q1" is not the commonly Q1 understanding, is some time after "Chinese New Year" holidays in February. :lol:

Edited by Sokol1_br

The last, from FSC is "Most likely Q1 next year". :)

Note that this "Q1" is not the commonly Q1 understanding, is some time after "Chinese New Year" holidays in February. :lol:

Too bad...

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Still not the Gladiator :D

Imho, loosing the programmability is a significant loss (same for the MaRS for the twist grip/rudder axis).

For example, you can use the buttons on the base as virtual axes (trim) thanks to the NJoy32 capabilities.

Or just send keyboard inputs. Use long presses. Etc.

Also, it's Asia Games quality control. I'm not sure I'd be confident. "Better safe than sorry", right? :music_whistling:

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

You are right, although the majority of buyers of "entry-level" joystick don't look at this "details" - for example in IL-2 community are players complaining that the game should detect their joysticks buttons and assign the proper functions... automatically. :)

And this Javelin at least is showing how "lemon" is the AIRROW. :P

Edited by Sokol1_br

IL-2 community are players complaining that the game should detect their joysticks buttons and assign the proper functions... automatically. :)

Of course! And that's exactly where you can download a profile for your favorite game, install it on your joystick, and just play!

That's possible with the Gladiator as it can emulate keyboard inputs and it should be possible to create a (limited) profile for a specific simulation using the default key bindings. The users will probably need to assign the axes though.

I'd like to test that with the DCS Dora I just got and Il-2 BoS/CoD. I'd just need to find some free time hiding somewhere :D

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

But the buyers of the "clones" still able to do this "press joystick buttons to press keyboards keys to do commands in games", just need use 3rd part of keymappers like Joy2Key, XPadder, SVMapper...

They are easy to use/set, has few computer resources usage, don't cause eventually BSOD like some official keymappers, can be started/configured/re-configured after the game start. ;)

The guy that aren't able to use these, will be not able to use VKB Config Soft's. Why they make that dumb "WIZZO" calibration software :)

Edited by Sokol1_br

Quick question for those familiar with VKB joystick mapping features.

Is there a way to emulate mouse axis with buttons much like you can with Thurstmaster TARGET ?

Happy Flying ! :pilotfly:

--

My specs: i7 8700K oc 5.0gHz, Asus Maximus Hero X, 32 Go DDR4 3600MHz, GTX1080 oc 2025MHz, Samsung Evo 960 SSD, Oculus rift CV1, 2 sensors. VKB Gunfighter w/ Warthog stick. Warthog throttle. Custom 6xrotary box. MFG rudder pedals

Quick question for those familiar with VKB joystick mapping features.

Is there a way to emulate mouse axis with buttons much like you can with Thurstmaster TARGET ?

Like Ron said ;)

For example, you can assign any axis or any set of buttons to control the mouse axes, also choosing the sensitivity, response delay, an on/off button to enable/disable the virtual mouse control, invert the axes, set a specific deadzone, etc.

Five mouse buttons can be emulated + a dedicated "enable/disable virtual mouse control" button, and a "set to center" button.

GtOo1X8.jpg

You can also emulate the mouse wheel (encoder-like function).

So you could use the joystick main axes as a temporary slew control/TDC (assuming your aircraft is stable enough (autopilot/trimmed)) then restore your normal pitch/roll controls.

Or use the hat to emulate the mouse (temporarily or permanently, depending on what you've defined in the profile).

(it's probably possible to enable the virtual mouse while holding a modifier button, but I didn't try that)

Edited by Bourrinopathe

Ravcore Javelin (Gladiator OEM) "screwdriver" review - by Slaw (pedals).

http://forum.il2sturmovik.ru/topic/4898-ravcore-javelin-gaming-joystick/

EDIT - Just for record, OEM use same gimbal of Gladiator, with grease for damper. What Slaw are complain is the use of same Cobra M5 gimbal design, with "pincer" center system - what he use in his first pedals. ;)

Edited by Sokol1_br

• 2 weeks later...

The "luck" European buyer of these OEM versions is limited do add MODE only for grip trigger, top button and POV HAT.

This is because if allowed MODE2 to base buttons, the number of buttons would be above 32 - what most of games don't see due Windows limitation (exceptions DCSW = 128, or RoF/IL-2:Bo'=64...), and will lead uninformed buyers to complain that buttons in this mode are "DOA". :P

So factory opt for the most commodious way - for them - to deal with this.

For the same reason the standard profile in VKB Gladiator/PRO don't surpass 32. At least in this versions is possible change this.

Edited by Sokol1_br

No Warthog grip adapter for Gladiator base

Hope I'm not duplicating...

I asked Eduard at VKB: "Is the 'base of Gladiator Pro plus TM Warthog adaptor (without Gladiator grip)' available for ordering now?"

Reply:

"No, unfortunately we do not offer it. The option is planned to be available for Gunfighter stick. It has modified gimbal which fits much better to Warthog grip than Gladiator Pro. The Gladiator Pro gimbal designed to work with lighter plastic grips so VKB currently do not plan to produce adaptors for Warthog grips for Gladiator Pro owners.

The Gunfighter stick is planned for Q1 next year."

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Typical VKB... they are always changing plans. :)

See their extended series of "Mk's" revisions of RDR, T-Rudder, Mambas.

But "better safe than sorry", probable some "beta tester" broken a Gladiator base with the ~1KG of Warthog grip. :joystick:

Some early buyers will be pissed, because they buy expecting this adapter, what was promised at almost a year...

Edited by Sokol1_br

Hope I'm not duplicating...

I asked Eduard at VKB: "Is the 'base of Gladiator Pro plus TM Warthog adaptor (without Gladiator grip)' available for ordering now?"

Reply:

"No, unfortunately we do not offer it. The option is planned to be available for Gunfighter stick. It has modified gimbal which fits much better to Warthog grip than Gladiator Pro. The Gladiator Pro gimbal designed to work with lighter plastic grips so VKB currently do not plan to produce adaptors for Warthog grips for Gladiator Pro owners.

The Gunfighter stick is planned for Q1 next year."

I cant see any official statement about this on vkb english forums. Is guess this is an answer from Eduard to you question through email.

I cant hardly believe this. I would have wait to the gunfighter if they didnt say gladiator pro would have adaptors to warthog grip. If this is true, they just lost all their reputation.

Edited by Kailorn

Well now, that really sucks. Most of the reason I bought a Gladiator Pro was because of the potential to put my Warthog stick (I have three) onto it.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Typical VKB... they are always changing plans. :)

See their extended series of "Mk's" revisions of RDR, T-Rudder, Mambas.

But "better safe than sorry", probable some "beta tester" broken a Gladiator base with the ~1KG of Warthog grip. :joystick:

Some early buyers will be pissed, because they buy expecting this adapter, what was promised at almost a year...

Damn I'm so glad I did return the Gladiator Pro !! I'm glad Eduard offered to return it free of charge. Too bad for early adopters though.

Happy Flying ! :pilotfly:

--

My specs: i7 8700K oc 5.0gHz, Asus Maximus Hero X, 32 Go DDR4 3600MHz, GTX1080 oc 2025MHz, Samsung Evo 960 SSD, Oculus rift CV1, 2 sensors. VKB Gunfighter w/ Warthog stick. Warthog throttle. Custom 6xrotary box. MFG rudder pedals

I ll keep mine, gimbal is very good but Its my last vkb purchase. Its a shame because I planned to buy vkb pedals and other grips (with more buttons for scifi). Now I ll wait for a community made adapter and I ll encourage my friends and guildies to not buy their products (exactly the opposite I was doing till now).

/rant off

I ll keep mine, gimbal is very good but Its my last vkb purchase. Its a shame because I planned to buy vkb pedals and other grips (with more buttons for spacesims). Now I ll wait for a community made adapter and I ll encourage my friends and guildies to not buy their products (exactly the opposite I was doing till now).

Don't be too quick to judge them. After all, they are the only ones making a commercial mid-to-high-end product like that, in quantities. The fact that there is a WWII style joystick, alone, is remarkable to me. Putting an adapter to make grips from a competitor compatible is fixing their mistakes. I'm sure they'd like to keep the option of their own grips open. I'm certain they had plenty of good reasons for this. I do fell for your disappointment and false hopes, though.

Edited by hegykc

Does anyone know if the throttle base is detachable? I'm sorry if it was already mentioned but I didn't want to go through tenths of pages of thread

My rig specs:

Intel Core i7 4770 @3.4Ghz // Corsair 16GB DDR3 // MoBo Asus Z87K // HDD 1TB 7200RPM // eVGA Nvidia GTX 760GT 2GB DDR5 // LG 3D 47" 1920x1080 // Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS // Saitek Combat Pro Pedals // Thrustmaster MFD Cougar pack // PS3 Eye + FTNOIR

If you mean the metal base plate of the Gladiator then, yes, you can just remove the screws and detach the plate.