Medevac Campaign

Thanks for the mission Wavehopper. It was my first medevac and I'm not sure that I'm cut out to be a slick pilot. It's hard sitting there when so many are shooting at you not to be able to shoot back :). Well, I suppose the grunts and the door gunners did their job or we wouldn't have made it out of there. The mission is a good one though, and the skin pack is a nice addition. Look forward to the rest.

• Like 1

R7 5800X3D / 32GB / VPC T-50 CM2 Base and CM3 Throttle with TM Hornet Grip / RTX 4080 Super / Meta Quest Pro

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice to see someone is doing heli missions.

@Wavehopper, check pm please.

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

@Wavehopper

I did you mission and it works. It could maybe need a hint that you should take the wounded back to the hospital and not the camp on the hillside. (the hillside trigger is still working if you do)

I really like the location where everything takes place. Good choice. :)

Screen_160324_193343.thumb.jpg.d481ae61e491a82674921ccce8b3cc75.jpg

Good point by flying_rabbit, I was about to suggest the same thing. Other than that, great mission, keep'em coming! ;)

Just one other thing: Wavehopper, is there a dedicated thread or can you create one? I don't think we should clutter the UH-1H Missions thread with discussions about particular missions. Once it exists, would be great if a mod could move these posts as well.

Screen_160323_01.jpg

Medevac Campaign

As requested, this will be the thread for discussion about my Medevac campaign (apologies for the clutter in the missions part).

url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiG7I6rstrLAhVEuBQKHZxbAiIQjRwIBw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fcommons.wikimedia.org%2Fwiki%2FFile%3AUH-1H_Medevac_at_Norton_AFB_1982.JPEG&psig=AFQjCNFU-nfCwcGiNSI740F-dvUi_AGlrQ&ust=1458945675160337

f35VJId.jpg?1

Campaign for 1.5 (Georgia/Russia)

RELEASED!

The final campaign is now complete.

Final Version of the campaign can now be downloaded at:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mrpylz1ii8ka1qh/Wavehopper%20Medevac.zip?dl=0

Required Mods (this will be the only required mod used by the campaign as I want it to be easy for newcomers to play this):

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/346912/ (Home Fries excellent Medal of Honor skin pack)

Optional Mods:

- Starways Vietnam terrain (I also highly recommend his sweet fx settings).

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=140251

- Skullz Genuine Huey sounds (which are fantastic)

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=159801&highlight=huey+sound

Edited by Wavehopper
New Demo added
  • Like 2

@ Flying Rabbit: "@Wavehopper

I did you mission and it works. It could maybe need a hint that you should take the wounded back to the hospital and not the camp on the hillside. (the hillside trigger is still working if you do)

I really like the location where everything takes place. Good choice. smile.gif"

Good call! I'll change that when I edit it next.

My understanding of how the mission editor works has improved since I uploaded that last one, so hopefully the new version will be better (it's mission 3 in the test campaign). I still need to make it clearer to return to the Field Hospital though, but I think that trigger issue should be fixed.

Thanks!

Edited by Wavehopper

url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiG7I6rstrLAhVEuBQKHZxbAiIQjRwIBw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fcommons.wikimedia.org%2Fwiki%2FFile%3AUH-1H_Medevac_at_Norton_AFB_1982.JPEG&psig=AFQjCNFU-nfCwcGiNSI740F-dvUi_AGlrQ&ust=1458945675160337

I'm currently in the process of making a 20-30 mission single player campaign dedicated solely to Medevac missions in the UH-1H.

Wish you all the best with it, I have the same feelings about doing some campaign missions for modules that I like but neither have the creative power or time to do such things.

Look forward to having a go at your missions in the future.

Regards, Ian.

• Like 1

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

Wish you all the best with it, I have the same feelings about doing some campaign missions for modules that I like but neither have the creative power or time to do such things.

Look forward to having a go at your missions in the future.

Regards, Ian.

Thanks Ian. Thankfully I'm an insomniac with a fair amount of spare time.

Just a note to everyone, this will be the only download available for some time. I want to just get on and make the missions, then spend time making sure they are all solid.

The next time you see a download link on here it will be the finished version.

I won't give an estimate, but suffice to say it won't take forever.

Thanks Wavehopper, really appreciate your work!

KtjUKV.png

DUSTOFF!

• Like 1

F-15E | AH-64 | F/A-18C | F-14B | A-10C | UH-1H | Mi-8MTV2 | Ka-50 | SA342 | Super Carrier | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Syria |

Intel Core i7 11700K - 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 - MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Gaming X 12GB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSD 1TB

Can't wait to fly these, and the 3 mods that you have chosen are must-haves IMO. Well done Sir.

Edited by Chipwich

R7 5800X3D / 32GB / VPC T-50 CM2 Base and CM3 Throttle with TM Hornet Grip / RTX 4080 Super / Meta Quest Pro

Ran into a problem in mission 4 ("Escalation").

First, the ingress is really, really long. I don't mind flying a 90 minute ingress in mission 1 in bad weather, that's a nice challenge. But in this mission, it feels like wasted time - and I didn't even get to fly the 90 minute RTB...

Second, navigation via kneeboard is next to impossible without "cheating" by using the marker function. Could you add radio transmitters and have the player navigate from beacon to beacon? Would be a great way to throw in some old style radio navigation. ;)

Also, at waypoint 1 (or WP2, not sure) I'm told we'll follow a river towards the next waypoint - but there's really absolutely no river flowing in that direction for miles to come.

But most importantly, when I arrived near the evac site, I was told to go back and circle because of a AAA threat. Colt 1-1 was inbound with two Hueys I think. Then there was intense fighting, and then nothing. After a while the red smoke died, so I decided to take a look - but apparently the AAA was the only thing still alive.

It's frustrating to spend over an hour ingressing and the getting shot down by an enemy unit. Maybe a trigger didn't work or the AI wasn't as efficient as it was supposed to be, in any case things like these really influence my overall perception of a mission/campaign, so especially in these long missions, you should double check everything and maybe add a trigger that would destroy the enemy unit after a certain (not too long) time if the AI Huey flight fails to destroy it by then - something to make up for the fact that I can't just call them and ask for a status update.

Thanks for the heads up Yurgon, I'll look into all of that. You won't like the mission after that one either..... so I am scrubbing both and remaking them. You're right, the distances are far too long and it's a grind. I'm removing the link to the demo campaign until they have been changed as I don't want to put people off the final campaign.

I now know what games makers feel like. I must have done that mission 4 times or more and never even took a round from the AAA.

Good feedback! This all helps with tweaking the current and future missions.

Edited by Wavehopper

I'm removing the link to the demo campaign until they have been changed as I don't want to put people off the final campaign.

I'm kinda happy I downloaded the campaign already. :)

I'll gonna stop at mission 3.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

I just had one of those "what the hell was I thinking!" moments.

Looking at those two missions just made laugh, they're horrible! On the plus side, your suffering will prevent anyone else having to go through it :D

Just think of it as being a heroic action like throwing yourself on a grenade to save your squad.

Therefore I dedicate the edited demo to Yurgon, and I've even thrown in a sweetener on the intro mission. Frequency 135.400 AM is all I will say.

Revised Demo Campaign:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hc2ier52zwob0yi/Dust%20Off%20V2.rar?dl=0

Just remember guys, this is still very much a work in progress and some things may not work or be all that great. I'll get there eventually.

Edited by Wavehopper

Hey, wow, that sounds good (literally ;)).

I time accelerated a lot and played to mission 3 again, but this time I think I broke it. As I touched down near the Kiowa, the message about spooling down and the message about having to fly out came at the same time. After that, a lot of nothing happened and I aborted the mission.

Screen_160326_02.jpg

I think I'll fly the other missions as single missions outside of the campaign so I don't have to repeat one if something doesn't quite work.

Well I'm happy to report I am now over the hump understanding how triggers work. I have spent today tidying up the existing missions, and created two more so it is progressing nicely.

Hopefully all the earlier teething problems are now a thing of the past.

If you experience any problems with version 3 of the demo campaign just post on here and let me know.

Contrary to my original post I think I will do another update in the next couple of days.

It's strangely rewarding making these missions, and I'm enjoying flying them so that's a good sign. Thanks for your patience and support.

Just finished the first mission, flying out the to field hospital. Man, the Huey is really squirrelly up in the high altitude. But I managed to land her just fine on the pad once I made it over the humps.

thanks for the mission. Enjoyed the first flight, and the tunes. :)

• Like 1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Just finished the first mission, flying out the to field hospital. Man, the Huey is really squirrelly up in the high altitude. But I managed to land her just fine on the pad once I made it over the humps.

thanks for the mission. Enjoyed the first flight, and the tunes. :)

I finished up the same mission just little while ago. Was my first time back in the Huey in quite a while, and it sure was an adventure. Had her up to 10500ft at a couple points, and she did not like that at all. :) Pitot heat was on, but I lost my airspeed indicators for about 1/3 of the flight, and I actually had to use the engine anti-icing. I was quite relieved to make it to the FARP, and there was certainly a sense of accomplishment. I will have to start working on the rest of the missions soon. So far though I give it a big thumbs up.

• Like 1

i7-7700K @ 5.2Ghz

SLI 1080Ti

64GB GSkill Trident Z RGB 4133

Asus Maximus IX Extreme

Custom Water Cooling Loop

TM Warthog/ MFG Crosswind