New TM HOTAS Warthog not recognized

Hello All-

I just purchased a new (used, open box) Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog off of Amazon. When I plugged them in, after installing the drivers & TARGET software, only the throttle side is recognized, not the joystick. When I plug it into either a USB 2.0 or 3.0, my system beeps seeing a USB device plugged in, but the software doesn't.

Any suggestions, quick fixes? Or should I just box it all up & send it back?

Thanks!

Mark

Edit: I'm running Win10

My rig: Win10, i7-6700k 4.0GHz, ASUS Maximus VIII Z170, Patriot 32GB RAM, Seagate 1TB SSHD, ASUS GeForce GTX 980 STRIX 4GD5, 2x Dell 27" 3K LCD, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Rudder Pedals :music_whistling:

Does the joystick show up in game controllers in windows?

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Did you connect throttle or joystick to the PC before installing the drivers?. If yes the drivers might have not installed correctly. In such case I would suggest to uninstall the software as also drivers. Stick/Throttle should be connected when installer asks to do it.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

Ok, uninstalled everything and rebooted. Downloaded the new driver from the TM website (2014_TMWH_1.exe), ran it and plugged both devices in when prompted. Each instance, my computer beeped that a USB device was plugged in. I check the game controller settings and it only showed the throttle.

Next I checked the firmware and it showed this:

THWH_Game_Controller.png.3b8bc8b502d2e18671f3b9e6550c3671.png

THWH_Firmware.png.af2aaf7aa00e57046ef93c918b2f344d.png

My rig: Win10, i7-6700k 4.0GHz, ASUS Maximus VIII Z170, Patriot 32GB RAM, Seagate 1TB SSHD, ASUS GeForce GTX 980 STRIX 4GD5, 2x Dell 27" 3K LCD, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Rudder Pedals :music_whistling:

Ok, uninstalled everything and rebooted. Downloaded the new driver from the TM website (2014_TMWH_1.exe), ran it and plugged both devices in when prompted. Each instance, my computer beeped that a USB device was plugged in. I check the game controller settings and it only showed the throttle.

Next I checked the firmware and it showed this:

It seems you need to upgrade stick firmware

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pilot from Croatia

Thanks all for replying. I tried all of the above and no joy. I sent an e-mail to TM tech support, so we'll see what they say. I'm half tempted to open it up to make sure all of the inside connections are good, but don't want to void any returns or warrantees at this point.

This is what I get when I tried to update the firmware...

THWH_Joystick_FW.png.6844f1fa1221cd7124a29d7445c038fb.png

Those symptoms make me think you have either incorrectly connected the stick to the base, or you have a broken joystick unit.

Unscrew the stick from the base, and make sure none of the pins are bent or missing. If all is well, then refit the stick, tighten it all up properly, and try to update the firmware again. If that works, then you'll find the problem is solved.

If the problem persists, then I'd return the unit to the seller, and exchange it. It may be a broken main board, which if it is new, will obviously be a manufacturing defect. If however you have mounted the joystick incorrectly, and broken the pins, then you simply didn't follow the assembly instructions correctly. You'd better hope in that case that whoever you purchased it through doesn't realise that.

Ihad an issue last year when I changed my usb hub after it blew, and the hog was not recognised anymore, even when plugged into the machine.

Try that bootloader procedure, it sorted me out.

Thermaltake View 91, Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra, i9 9900K, Corsair H150i Pro, 32Gb Trident Z 3200, Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 2080ti, Corsair AX1200i, Warthog A-10 Hotas, MFG Crosswind pedals, TiR5 Pro, HP Reverb Pro

I've verified the connection to the base unit, and it seems good. I'll check the xHCI setting in the BIOS, and then I'll try the Bootloader procedure and let you guys know how it goes...

Thanks!

Mark

Just try the bootloader method per instructions ...i had the same problem twice...installing bulk driver while using my back side usb ports (not the front two) saved my bricked stick

Edited by hreich

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pilot from Croatia

Ok, I tried two other computers (Win10 & Win7) using the bootloader steps, no luck. Pulled the bottom plate off, the green USB wired was pinched, but still looked ok, everything looked ok & I checked all of the accessible connections.

Looks like I have a bad/ bricked stick :( I e-mailed TM customer support with the error code I get after the firmware update [ERROR: time-out device should had arrived in HID. (Code: 0x34100002)], maybe they have some other ideas.

I may just send it back...

Dang, sorry to hear you didn't find anything. It could be many things, TM support may be able to shed some light on the error code. It might take a while to hear back. It's very likely some disconnection has occurred in the wiring. Was the stick purchased used? I would return it if possible. I wouldn't be surprised if something like this had happened:

20151016_150905_zpsdevc3xpo.jpg

I had your problem when I reassembled my warthog and pinched the ultra small gauge wife's running through the gimbal into the stick grip. I was able to resolder everything and got it working but I was pretty upset considering I broke it :/

After much head scratching & frustration, I just RMA'd it back to Amazon. I have a new (new, unopened :) ) one being delivered tomorrow.

If it wasn't for the fact that it's so pricey, and it would have killed returning it, I would have completely opened it up to check all the connections.

Thanks to everyone that responded, you guys are awesome! :thumbup:

Looking forward to flying with some/ all of you on the NTTR!

r/Mark

After much head scratching & frustration, I just RMA'd it back to Amazon. I have a new (new, unopened :) ) one being delivered tomorrow.

:thumbup:

Smart move - a new Warthog should work just fine straight out of the box, hopefully your new replacement unit will be trouble free for you.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Smart man. You get a full warranty now if anything happens in the future. If you ever have to RMA the new unit back to TM, make sure to ask them to reimburse you for shipping costs. They will happily do it, but only if you ask.

RMA's are so much less painful when they include free shipping. :thumbup:

Practice makes perfect.

Good to hear you got it sorted out. Remember to update the firmware of the new one.

Usually if you plug in the stick or throttle and Windows does the beep but doesn't show as a device but TM utilities detect the device, it is probably missing its firmware. Someone didn't know how to update it correctly and tried messing with it. It's not worth buying 'used' from unknown sources. ;)

Intel i9-13900K : ASUS TUF RTX 4080 : 32GB G.Skill RipjawsV 4000 : TM HOTAS Warthog : HP Reverb G2