Is there any possibility of us getting the F14D-Super Tomcat?

Jogui3000

That question does not belong in a sim' date=' war thunder yes, DCS no;)[/quote']

Of course it does, even if it`s a sim some balance is needed to make the sim fun, it wouldn`t be very nice to face an F22 in your MiG 29 for example...

PC Specs: RTX 2070 (8GB) + I5-9600K + 32GB RAM.

Stuff for the sim: Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS + TFRP Rudder pedals, Track IR5.

Modules: FC3, A10C, F/A-18C, F16C, F14A/B, MiG-21Bis, AJS-37, F5E, F86F-35, M2000C, Ka-50, P51D, Bf-109K4, Fw-190D9, Spitfire LF Mk IX, L39, CA.

Maps: Persian Gulf, NTTR, Normandy 1944 + WWII Assets Pack.

Campaigns: A10C:The Enemy Within.

remember, the new mig is designed to look like crap while being really advanced. so who knows irl

the DCS one ? i reckon it would be worth watching in the right scenario

Given the general caliber of pilot an F-22 module would attract, I think the results would be rather different than what most would assume :lol:

Given the general caliber of pilot an F-22 module would attract, I think the results would be rather different than what most would assume :lol:

That is kind of true... but a good pilot in an F22 would be God... unless they added another 5th gen counter to the game, not that they can... info on these planes is classified...

PC Specs: RTX 2070 (8GB) + I5-9600K + 32GB RAM.

Stuff for the sim: Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS + TFRP Rudder pedals, Track IR5.

Modules: FC3, A10C, F/A-18C, F16C, F14A/B, MiG-21Bis, AJS-37, F5E, F86F-35, M2000C, Ka-50, P51D, Bf-109K4, Fw-190D9, Spitfire LF Mk IX, L39, CA.

Maps: Persian Gulf, NTTR, Normandy 1944 + WWII Assets Pack.

Campaigns: A10C:The Enemy Within.

• 2 weeks later...
Probably talking about the mig 1.44 prototype

Seems that project was canceled 15 years ago. Last flight April 27, 2000.

Maybe the MiG-35?

Or MiG-41? Supposed to be a Mach 4 fighter based on the MiG-31, so the images that come up in a Google search are likely just fiction.

Correct, it isn't a set amount of thrust at all altitudes and conditions; the attached chart I put in an earlier post provides info from the USN on the performance difference between the engine types and some basic altitude differences - At sea level and at altitude. It isn't a be all and end all of various configurations, fuel loads etcetera as that certainly does sway the T:W result.

The F110 engines were a great improvement over the TF-30's in terms of reliability and usability . It doesn't mean that the TF-30 didn't have it's advantages though or that the F-14A was a useless combat aircraft.

Fighting at high altitudes in the A should be very interesting indeed, especially before the aggressors get used to fighting Tomcats. Guns only should be a blast.

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

• 1 month later...
There are systems/data in the F-14D that Leatherneck wouldn't be able to get their hands on meaning there would be a lot of "gap filling" in terms of capability - by this I mean the systems like LANTIRN 40K, T3, FTI (ie targeting systems) ROVER 3 was also implemented in a very limited few F-14D's I believe (basically a full motion videolink that could be sent to a FAC's computer/laptop).

It would lack the fidelity of the F-14A, A+/B.

The F-14D was most certainly capable of ground attack and was highly efficient at it, it gave the USN a very capable punch - the sad fate was it was replaced by an aircraft with less payload and range, but financially - better to run in terms of cost.

The AIM-54 Phoenix was very much a symbiotic missile with the F-14 - The combination of AWG-9 and the AIM-54A and later C was a very strong deterrent. The AIM-54 was predominantly designed for destroying bombers/large strike aircraft - it (supposedly) had a rather sophisticated (for the time) ability to operate well in a high ECM environment not to mention it's own active radar guidance in the terminal phase - it could also pull some surprisingly tight turns it seems for such a large missile.

It could also intercept cruise missiles and the AIM-54C model had a programmable ECM capability allowing it to be adapted to encountered ECM.

With the AWG's ability to track 24 simultaneous targets in TWS mode (and hence yet another display of the need for an RIO) it could also then launch 6 AIM-54's on those targets. That is a hell of a lot of potential destruction headed the enemies way - especially of it was a bomber/strike fleet.

The Iranians claimed AIM-54 kills and honestly I believe them especially when many of Iraqs aircraft at the time did not have RWR's fitted (it is also why those craft often were grouped with Mirage F1's which did have a RWR). A rear aspect shot from a Phoenix on a non-RWR craft would be a high probability kill I imagine.

The Iranians have since created their own AIM-54, the Fakour-90, which is a reverse engineered AIM-54.

The USN did launch some AIM-54C's in combat I believe, two launched though failed due to the motors failing and another was launched that struck the ground chasing it's target.

Now a few things to consider - in the first Iraq war - where the F-14 was at it's "prime" the ROE prevented BVR engagements - which meant that that long arm the F-14 had was hampered. F-15's took the role of CAP due to their IFF ability which at the time, the F-14 did not meet the requirements of. So the sampling rate for AIM-54 missile failure wasn't potentially representative of it's actual failure rate. If the ROE were different we may have seen AIM-54 "kills".

Hello guys this is my first reply on these forums ever. First things first....I am a Navy veteran. I served in Operation Iraqi Freedom with VF-2 Bounty Hunters on board the USS Constellation. I was an AT2(Aviation Electronics Technician,2nd class petty officer.) There are a few things I would like to clear up regarding the F-14D here just to make sure information is as accurate as it can be.

1) All F-14D's had datalink capability which enabled them to send and receive still pictures, and even video. ROVER 3 was only available to Deltas that were originally built as Deltas, none of the Deltas that were Alphas before, and then upgraded to a Delta had the capability. ROVER 3 did in fact send real time video, and I've seen it done :).

2) I would imagine the LANTIRN pod functions pretty similarly to the A+/B, since the LANTIRN I believe was designed for F-15 Strike Eagle. So in essence it's the same exact thing. The only difference is the F-15 had two control sticks in the NFO's seat(one on each side of the console areas), while the Tomcat had only one(on the left side).

3) Right before the war, we were heavily modifying the Deltas to be JDAM capable. We updated the software from D03B to D04. Along with adding in the hardware to do it. It was a very hectic time for us, because we knew that we were going to war.

4) The Delta's RADAR was very different from the earlier models. It replaced most of the AWG 9 system in favor to the APG-71. The only commonality that it shared was the AWG 9 transmitter, which was left unchanged. The range was 150+ miles....at high altitude. It is capable of tracking 36 targets simultaneously, not 24. One Tomcat, of a squadron of 10 could track over half of their phoenix complement, and guide them to their targets. There has never been a more powerful RADAR system in a fighter jet to this day.

5) The AIM 54 had an active RADAR that allowed the missile to become independent from the Tomcat. So theoretically the Tomcat never had to achieve RADAR lock, however it is better to get the RADAR lock since the missile's RADAR range was significantly shorter. The missile could also interrogate mode 4, friend or foe to prevent friendly fire mishaps. Also a Tomcat could launch the phoenix and have an E-2 Hawkeye guide the missile to it's target. I don't care what people say, the Phoenix missile is still a ****ing missile, you don't want one shot at you....Period.

6) During the first Gulf War, the Air Force favored their F-15's over the F-14's not because of lack of IFF capability, but because the F-15 was their jet. I have talked to Pilot's who flew during that war, that were still pissed off about that.

I hope this helps.

I'm just going to leave this here too.....

What about the TARPS pod? Is no one interested in RECON missions?

Many of us (at least me!) are very interested in TARPS missions. High-speed/low altitude runs through SAMs in the F-14A or F-14B - sounds pretty awesome and would expand the scope of available missions for a campaign, etc.

However, best not to press the issue as things stand currently. Leatherneck has already stated that they plan to release future content (which I take as at least DLC campaigns and possibly more) and the F-14 module is likely to evolve over time with new capabilities and possibly new sub-versions (addition of DFCS for example, F-14B Upgrade, etc).

Getting the F-14A/B up and running with all the new tech is a pretty big undertaking. I say lets talk more about this stuff once the module is out and Leatherneck is thinking about their next steps. :thumbup:

-Nick

Hello guys this is my first reply on these forums ever. First things first....I am a Navy veteran. I served in Operation Iraqi Freedom with VF-2 Bounty Hunters on board the USS Constellation. I was an AT2(Aviation Electronics Technician,2nd class petty officer.) There are a few things I would like to clear up regarding the F-14D here just to make sure information is as accurate as it can be.

1) All F-14D's had datalink capability which enabled them to send and receive still pictures, and even video. ROVER 3 was only available to Deltas that were originally built as Deltas, none of the Deltas that were Alphas before, and then upgraded to a Delta had the capability. ROVER 3 did in fact send real time video, and I've seen it done :).

2) I would imagine the LANTIRN pod functions pretty similarly to the A+/B, since the LANTIRN I believe was designed for F-15 Strike Eagle. So in essence it's the same exact thing. The only difference is the F-15 had two control sticks in the NFO's seat(one on each side of the console areas), while the Tomcat had only one(on the left side).

3) Right before the war, we were heavily modifying the Deltas to be JDAM capable. We updated the software from D03B to D04. Along with adding in the hardware to do it. It was a very hectic time for us, because we knew that we were going to war.

4) The Delta's RADAR was very different from the earlier models. It replaced most of the AWG 9 system in favor to the APG-71. The only commonality that it shared was the AWG 9 transmitter, which was left unchanged. The range was 150+ miles....at high altitude. It is capable of tracking 36 targets simultaneously, not 24. One Tomcat, of a squadron of 10 could track over half of their phoenix complement, and guide them to their targets. There has never been a more powerful RADAR system in a fighter jet to this day.

5) The AIM 54 had an active RADAR that allowed the missile to become independent from the Tomcat. So theoretically the Tomcat never had to achieve RADAR lock, however it is better to get the RADAR lock since the missile's RADAR range was significantly shorter. The missile could also interrogate mode 4, friend or foe to prevent friendly fire mishaps. Also a Tomcat could launch the phoenix and have an E-2 Hawkeye guide the missile to it's target. I don't care what people say, the Phoenix missile is still a ****ing missile, you don't want one shot at you....Period.

6) During the first Gulf War, the Air Force favored their F-15's over the F-14's not because of lack of IFF capability, but because the F-15 was their jet. I have talked to Pilot's who flew during that war, that were still pissed off about that.

I hope this helps.

Welcome to the forums! :thumbup:

Some great info there, love the stuff about the Phoenix. That ROVER 3 footage must of been damn impressive it sounds impressive on paper, to see it in person... very cool.

The stuff re: f-15 and f-14 for the first Gulf War doesn't surprise me, infact it reminds me of complaints that the RAF leveled against the RN in terms of Harrier deployment/use in the Falklands War.

• 1 year later...

I did some searching but could not find anything...

Im assuming they chose to plan the B over the D (and of course the A) because of data availability about the systems?

Sorry if this was already answered but I could not find anything

well, there's this.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2834492#post2834492

Just a new Radar, new HUD, various new avionics, new MFDs, tons of advanced targeting pods & weaponry, new sensors and datalinks and significant graphical changes.

..and the pleasure of maintaining two divergent F-14 branches.

Quick and easy! tongue.gif

page 3 or 4 cobra leaves the door open with a maybe which probably shouldnt be read into too far.

the thought of putting out fires for patch bugs for two different tomcats makes me shudder, i would not be enthused either.

Edited by probad

I don't know, maybe it's just me but I took that response from Cobra as fairly tongue in cheek sarcasm.

Yeah, that quote is definitely tongue in cheek sarcasm, but this one wasn't:

the F-14A & B is not the end of our Tomcat journey. Whether that is a -D or a B+ PTID/LANTIRN/Whatever upgrade of some kind remains to be seen.

From what Cobra has said in this forum and on Hoggit, it seems very likely to me that we will have a late-model/LANTIRN F-14 at some point and could easily be the F-14D.

That said, I'd expect it a year or two (minimum) after the F-14A/B release and likely after the module that follows the F-14, but just a guess there.

-Nick

Yeah, that quote is definitely tongue in cheek sarcasm, but this one wasn't:

From what Cobra has said in this forum and on Hoggit, it seems very likely to me that we will have a late-model/LANTIRN F-14 at some point and could easily be the F-14D.

That said, I'd expect it a year or two (minimum) after the F-14A/B release and likely after the module that follows the F-14, but just a guess there.

-Nick

My guess is we'll get a TGP/B+ release before a D since the D does require...a few extra bits. Once the work for the TGP is complete that'll be one less thing they need to do for the Delta.

AN/APG-71 + JTIDS + Half a Dozen Newer Sensors and Avionics + Re Coding everything from Analog to Digital Displays for both front and back, + LANTIRN..

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs