ED Forums - View Single Post - Bf109-K4 control loads at higher speeds...
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2015, 10:31 AM   #48
Yo-Yo
ED Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixBvo View Post
I think I agree with you here. The problem is the fact that we cannot expect realistic control forces in this desktop simulation. Simply because no one has the right hardware to generate them (FF Stick or no).

So what to do:
  1. Either you can simulate only the aircraft itself, meaning joystick position is simulated stick position. This leaves control forces out of the equation and we feel the same spring tension for a given stick deflection at any flight condition.
  2. or you can attempt to simulate the pilot experience within the limits given by inadequate hardware: Simulated aircraft inputs are now control forces, and the joystick input is filtered to provide a mapping from joystick position to simulated pilot control force. Now you can equate max joystick deflection to max pilot control force and provide some nonlinear function for lower forces to give the "right" feel. (The input curve setup allows some user customization, but it is flight condition independent)

So what if any of these is implemented in the simulation now, and how could it be changed/improved?

in DCS we decided to have controls movement, so control surfaces as they are in reality. That's the point. This way the simulated FM fits the real one regarding required stick movement. Of course we understood that shorter travel of the majority of game controllers will require less travels to get the same result comparing the real aircraft. Nevertheless, this model gives good feeling even if you get the real plane stick after hundreds hours in virtual plane. I had an opportunity to compare the real P-51 to its DCS twin... the feeling was that the real plane behaves exactly the same you use to feel it in DCS regardless of higher forces at the controls.

Excessive control forces in any simulation can be done using so called cutting force (any movement of the virtual stick are not available beyond this point) preceding with the zone of low responce agility. So, for example, you can pull the stick up to 70 kg but accurate piloting is not available since the force is higher than, say, 20-30 kg.