How to edit the controls indicator window? Ctrl+return

***EDIT***

Thanks to davedontmind for his quick and fashionable mod.

Link

8ky0Tjs.png

Hi, I want to edit the controls indicator window to be entirely green instead of red, and put 1/8 scale or graduation marks on the different axes. Is there a psd for that window floating around somewhere?

Edited by WildBillKelsoe

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

PeterP, your presence is requested at this thread

Anybody??

Of the 144 souls onboard this thread, none survived a simple attempt to reply...

Wait!!!! There are signs of life on this forum. YAAAY!!!

Edited by SkateZilla

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Funny, I was just looking at this yesterday, while I was trying to re-position the controls indicator for my 3-screen setup, so I can give you some pointers for at least changing the colours. It's not trivial, but if you have no problem editing lua files, then read on.

The file you want to look at is "DCS World\Mods\aircrafts\<X>\Cockpit\Scripts\ControlsIndicator\ControlsIndicator_page.lua" where <X> is one of the aircraft you have installed (look in the Mods\aircrafts folder to see what's there)

I suggest that, rather than editing the file directly, you set up JSGME (see http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98607), then make a copy of the ControlsIndicator_page.lua into your own mod folder, and edit that version so you have your own mod, but if you feel reckless go ahead and edit the default .lua file (just don't blame me if you break it! - make back-up copies before editing, just to be on the safe side).

If you look at that ControlsIndicator_page.lua (the versions for the different aircraft are all very similar), somewhere around line 33 is this:

local orange_mat = MakeMaterial("",{0,200,0,50})

This is the red (orange) material used for the background of the controls indicator. Rather than changing that line to be green (I hate it when variable names don't describe the contents accurately), what you want to do is add these lines just after it:

local background_mat = MakeMaterial("",{0,200,0,50}) -- colour for the background

local line_mat = MakeMaterial("arcade.tga",{0,255,0,200}) -- colour for the lines

local controls_font = "font_ARCADE_GREEN" -- colour for any text

These lines define the new colours we're going to use to display the controls panel. The numbers in each line are values for the Red, Green, Blue, and Alpha values of the colour. The values should be in the range 0-255. Alpha represents the transparency (255 is opaque, 0 is transparent). So what I have defined above is a green colour to use for the background, mostly transparent, and a brighter green (fully opaque) to use for the lines, and a green font for any text.

That just defines some colours. Next you need to use the colours.

First look for this line (around line 38-ish):

base.material = orange_mat -- "GREEN_TRANSPARENT"

and change it to:

base.material = background_mat

Then look for all occurrences of

XXXX.material = "ARCADE_3_RED"

or

XXXX.material = ... something with red in it ...

(where XXXX represents anything, it's not literally XXXX).

and change them to

XXXX.material = line_mat

Also look for anything like:

XXXX.material = "font_ARCADE_RED"

and change to

XXXX.material = controls_font

ARCADE_3_RED and font_ARCADE_RED, font_ARCADE_GREEN etc are defined elsewhere, in Mods\aircrafts\<X>\Cockpit\Scripts\materials.lua - you can look in that file to see predefined alternatives you can use, or you can create your own using MakeMaterial as I did above.

Changing the way the lines are drawn, to add graduation marks is trickier, and it look to me like it requires some lua programming. Perhap I'll look into it later if I have some time.

If this is way beyond you and looks like gibberish, let me know which aircraft you want this for and I'll see if I can whip up a mod for the colour change (no promises or guarantees, caveat emptor, batteries not included, etc).

Edited by davedontmind

Hey dave,

It does look difficult for a guy like me. Would you be kind to form one for UH-1H? I'm looking for green background and blue axis indicators in the least, but I'll be happy with anything you give me.

Thanks in advance.

P.S.

My resolution is 1366X768.

Funny, I was just looking at this yesterday, while I was trying to re-position the controls indicator for my 3-screen setup, so I can give you some pointers for at least changing the colours. It's not trivial, but if you have no problem editing lua files, then read on.

The file you want to look at is "DCS World\Mods\aircrafts\<X>\Cockpit\Scripts\ControlsIndicator\ControlsIndicator_page.lua" where <X> is one of the aircraft you have installed (look in the Mods\aircrafts folder to see what's there)

I suggest that, rather than editing the file directly, you set up JSGME (see http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98607), then make a copy of the ControlsIndicator_page.lua into your own mod folder, and edit that version so you have your own mod, but if you feel reckless go ahead and edit the default .lua file (just don't blame me if you break it! - make back-up copies before editing, just to be on the safe side).

If you look at that ControlsIndicator_page.lua (the versions for the different aircraft are all very similar), somewhere around line 33 is this:

local orange_mat = MakeMaterial("",{0,200,0,50})

This is the red (orange) material used for the background of the controls indicator. Rather than changing that line to be green (I hate it when variable names don't describe the contents accurately), what you want to do is add these lines just after it:

local background_mat = MakeMaterial("",{0,200,0,50}) -- colour for the background

local line_mat = MakeMaterial("arcade.tga",{0,255,0,200}) -- colour for the lines

local controls_font = "font_ARCADE_GREEN" -- colour for any text

These lines define the new colours we're going to use to display the controls panel. The numbers in each line are values for the Red, Green, Blue, and Alpha values of the colour. The values should be in the range 0-255. Alpha represents the transparency (255 is opaque, 0 is transparent). So what I have defined above is a green colour to use for the background, mostly transparent, and a brighter green (fully opaque) to use for the lines, and a green font for any text.

That just defines some colours. Next you need to use the colours.

First look for this line (around line 38-ish):

base.material = orange_mat -- "GREEN_TRANSPARENT"

and change it to:

base.material = background_mat

Then look for all occurrences of

XXXX.material = "ARCADE_3_RED"

or

XXXX.material = ... something with red in it ...

(where XXXX represents anything, it's not literally XXXX).

and change them to

XXXX.material = line_mat

Also look for anything like:

XXXX.material = "font_ARCADE_RED"

and change to

XXXX.material = controls_font

ARCADE_3_RED and font_ARCADE_RED, font_ARCADE_GREEN etc are defined elsewhere, in Mods\aircrafts\<X>\Cockpit\Scripts\materials.lua - you can look in that file to see predefined alternatives you can use, or you can create your own using MakeMaterial as I did above.

Changing the way the lines are drawn, to add graduation marks is trickier, and it look to me like it requires some lua programming. Perhap I'll look into it later if I have some time.

If this is way beyond you and looks like gibberish, let me know which aircraft you want this for and I'll see if I can whip up a mod for the colour change (no promises or guarantees, caveat emptor, batteries not included, etc).

Well I had a play with it and managed to figure out the graduations for the pitch/roll axes, so added them, and changed the colours to roughly what I thought you wanted:

KP2UToU.png

Blue lines on green - I made the current control positions white, to stand out a bit more.

If you want to tweak the colours, just look at the first few lines of the lua file in the zip - I put all the colours in one place so you can easily adjust the red/green/blue/alpha values of the background/lines/ticks/indicators.

Here's the mod file.

See the README.txt in the .zip file for instructions.

NB: this is for DCS UH-1H Huey only. I could do other aircraft if there's a requirement, I believe - they're all very similar.

Edited by davedontmind
  • Like 1

Hey dave,

Thank you for this great mod, but my eyes!!!! :helpsmilie:

Can you put graduations on the throttle, rudder axes as well, and would you be kind to change the axes color to red while keeping the background color green as it is?

You did it buddy and I'm very happy you nailed it!

Well I had a play with it and managed to figure out the graduations for the pitch/roll axes, so added them, and changed the colours to roughly what I thought you wanted:

KP2UToU.png

Blue lines on green - I made the current control positions white, to stand out a bit more.

If you want to tweak the colours, just look at the first few lines of the lua file in the zip - I put all the colours in one place so you can easily adjust the red/green/blue/alpha values of the background/lines/ticks/indicators.

Here's the mod file.

See the README.txt in the .zip file for instructions.

NB: this is for DCS UH-1H Huey only. I could do other aircraft if there's a requirement, I believe - they're all very similar.

I agree with your assessment of the colours (but you did say blue on green...). I can easily change those. But bear in mind that visual design's not my strong point, as I think I've already proved. :-)

As for graduations on the other axes, the rudder is probably reasonably simple. Not so sure about the throttle & collective (and what's the bit below the throttle indicator? Never did figure out what it's supposed to represent, and the lua didn't help...)

I'm busy today, but I'll have a go at tweaking it over the weekend if I get time.

Edited by davedontmind

the bit under the throttle is the collective throttle (twist grip) thingy (PgUp/Dn). It's OK buddy, there is no rush. Take your time, and thanks again for doing this.

Of the 144 souls onboard this thread, none survived a simple attempt to reply...

:D:D:lol::lol:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

the bit under the throttle is the collective throttle (twist grip) thingy (PgUp/Dn).

I meant the bit below that - the top half of the vertical axis on the left is the collective position, the top half of the bottom half is the throttle, but there's an empty bit below that, which doesn't seem to indicate anything, as far as I can see.

Anyway, this is what I have now, taking your previous comments into account:

8ky0Tjs.png

I figured out how to add graduations to the rudder, collective and throttle areas, and changed to the suggested red colouring.

Get the mod here

Caveat emptor. Use at your own risk. Batteries not included. May contain nuts.

• Like 1

Dave!!! You rock, man!!! Thank you SOOOO much for this mod. Really happy with it. I've created a video using it. Check it out, and once again, thanks for your help!:thumbup:

Bill; Which version of DCS are you flying with?

Dave; Thanks for this.

i7-2600 @3.4GHz | Corsair 16GB @1600MHz. | MSI GTX1660Ti Gaming X | Samsung 256GB SSD (Win10HPx64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

Bill; Which version of DCS are you flying with?

Dave; Thanks for this.

Devrim, 1.2.5

• 3 months later...

Can anybody re-post these mod downloads?

All of the links are broken.. :mad:

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

Can anybody re-post these mod downloads?:

Here's a new link to the recoloured UH-1H controls thingy that I did for WildBill.

I lost the original zip with the readme - this is just a zip of the mod from my JSGME _MODS folder. Unzip into your mods folder, run JSGME, and you should see "Uh-1H Recoloured Controls Indicator" as a mod.

Thanks!

Also, I am lazy and don't want to edit the code every time that I change resolution. I have a triple monitor setup with a touchscreen below, like in a T shape. So, my height can go from 1080 to 2160. I edited the script to use different start positions based on which resolution I am using. Like this:

-- PUT THIS AT THE TOP RIGHT AFTER THESE VARIABLES ARE DECLARED TO CHANGE THE IF NECESSARY.

-- *******************************************************************************

-- *** MY CODE TO RESIZE THE CONTROL INDICATOR BOX FOR 1080 AND 2160 SCREEN HEIGHT

-- *******************************************************************************

if LockOn_Options.screen.height == 2160 then

-- THIS WORKS WITH 2160 HEIGHT

size = 0.075

tex_scale = 0.27/size

end

-- AND DOWN BELOW, REPLACE THE INITIAL POSITION CODE WITH YOUR POSITIONING CODE BASED ON YOUR SCREEN SIZE:

if LockOn_Options.screen.height == 1080 then

base.init_pos = {3.5, -0.825}

else

base.init_pos = {1.751, 0.085}

end

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download