ED Forums

ED Forums (https://forums.eagle.ru/index.php)
-   Mods and Apps (https://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   VRK - a virtual reality enabled kneeboard with touch and ink support (https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=246970)

AMVI_Rider 08-07-2019 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EntropySG (Post 4001009)
tried standalone, cant seem to interact with it. using mousewheel or clicks but it wont flip pages. installing on my surface pro and see if it works in server/client mode with touch and ink

Have you been able to run it on the surface?

I just added a link for the Quick Start Guide in the first post.

Gianky 08-07-2019 10:50 PM

Hey Rider!

First of all, congratulations for what appears to be a great application for VR users.

That said, I glanced at the manual and tried the program on my PC in standalone mode: correct me if I'm wrong, but.... you can only write on a blank page with a stylus? No typing with a keyboard? And, if I'm wrong, how do I do it?

AMVI_Rider 08-08-2019 02:17 PM

Thank you, I hope so and that's why I released to the community. I felt the need of paper in the cockpit and that's one of the two reason that made me slight VR for flying, the other is readability-resolution and I see big improvements, so I thought it was the time to sole the paper thing.

You are right about the keyboard, no support, but for a reason: I found it impractical in every scenario I tried it. In standalone mode the keyboard is captured by DCS and giving it to VRK means loosing control on the cockpit (also switching focus in VR is a nightmare IMHO).
In server/client it is not expected that you have a keyboard attached (and easily accessible) to the client.
Moreover, unless you connect also a mouse, the stylus is the only device that can move the cursor (and show where you are about to write) without acting on the application.
So I feel that it is better to ask pilots to use a stylus tablet or buy a stylus pad rather than providing a bad solution.

The standalone mode, at the current state, is of little use. It will became handy in conjunction with an USB or Bluetooth digitizer like Wacom ones (the Intuos w/ touch support seems interesting) or cheaper alternatives like Huion, XP-PEN and other chinese brands.
The only concern I have is about their sizes: small devices seems too small while medium size are slightly big in my opinion, but I need to test first.

AMVI_Rider 08-11-2019 07:53 PM

Version 1.0.1.37 released

Many fixes and client/server discovery implemented

gianlu320 08-12-2019 07:06 PM

I think this is very useful.
I would like to try it but i don't have any win based tablet.
Any suggestion on a cheap but good tablet for this application?

Thanks

Rymy 08-13-2019 08:12 AM

I would love to see Android-version of tablet implemented. There are far more Android options available.

AMVI_Rider 08-16-2019 09:36 AM

I agree about the Android version. The fact is that the only pen based I have now is the Windows and that's why I started with it.

In those days I almost completed the implementation of Wacom tablet for the standalone which has some pretty nice advantages over the client/server:
  • Cost: the Intuos S is really cheap compared to a tablet, the size is OK to me
  • Precision: the pen is far more accurate that the tablet one (at least the one I have)
  • Two buttons on the stylus and 4 on the tablet

The drawback is that the tablet is not touch so page switching is done with the buttons, zooming and panning with the pen. That brought the need of programmable actions for the buttons and, in the meanwhile, some code optimization of the writing panel.
Also, the tab bar is now left of the main content to gain some area for the page itself.
Anyway, I'm pretty happy with the feeling so far.

Coming back to Android: any suggestion for a 8" class device with an acceptable stylus which doesn't cost much?
As you may imagine, this project is heavily limited in budget.

Rymy 08-17-2019 02:59 PM

I tested application and issue for me is that Kneeboard stays alpha and doesnt matter how I change setting values.

There is this information in first post:

The good news for Oculus owners (like me) is that SteamVR is complatible with Oculus devices too. It is just required that your (flight) simulator is compatible with SteamVR and can be forced to SteamVR mode.
In case of DCS this is done by adding a command line option ( --force_steam_VR )

Where this --force steam_VR must be added?

Rymy 08-17-2019 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMVI_Rider (Post 4010678)
The drawback is that the tablet is not touch so page switching is done with the buttons, zooming and panning with the pen. That brought the need of programmable actions for the buttons and, in the meanwhile, some code optimization of the writing panel.

Hmm isn't that possible to have android application to change page by swiping screen? Like example how kindle/amazon books are done?

AMVI_Rider 08-17-2019 04:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rymy (Post 4011898)
I tested application and issue for me is that Kneeboard stays alpha and doesnt matter how I change setting values.

There is this information in first post:

The good news for Oculus owners (like me) is that SteamVR is complatible with Oculus devices too. It is just required that your (flight) simulator is compatible with SteamVR and can be forced to SteamVR mode.
In case of DCS this is done by adding a command line option ( --force_steam_VR )

Where this --force steam_VR must be added?

I created a new DCS link thet points to DCS.exe and then addded --force_enable_VR and --force_steam_VR to the target. The first forces DCS to start with VR enabled regardless the options and the second forces SteamVR mode.

https://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.p...1&d=1566052985

In this way I have two links: one for start DCS in regular monitor mode and the second to start it in VR withouth the need to switch options manually.

On the alpha issue, does the size changes when you look at the kneeboard?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rymy (Post 4011901)
Hmm isn't that possible to have android application to change page by swiping screen? Like example how kindle/amazon books are done?

Well for the sake of simplicity I'm considering only three scenarios:
  1. client/server with windows tablet
  2. standalone with a pen tablet (which is only a digitizer, not a "tablet")
  3. client/server with an android table

The 1 and 3 full support touch and stylus as far as the stylus is a "proper" stylus and not a capacitive pen. Otherwise the option 2 is the best one. Naviganting the documents with buttons and gestures is really easy.

Proper styluses, which I'm aware of, are Microsoft Surface Pen(Win), Samsuns SPen(Android), Huawei M-Pen(Android) and all of them require dedicated hardware on the tablet side.
I don't know if there are active capacitive pens with the capability to work like a digitizer and letting the application to discriminate between pen and touch input. In that case let me know and I will have a look on how to support them.