ED Forums

ED Forums (https://forums.eagle.ru/index.php)
-   Payment and Activation (https://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   AV-8B COPY PROTECTION CHANGE (https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=196857)

Boris 11-30-2017 09:40 AM

People really have issues with having to be online in this day and age? Are there people who still use dialup, or is it just a matter of principle?

Johnny_Rico 11-30-2017 09:42 AM

I have to disagree with you BigNewy

Right now I
1. buy a module
2. install
3. Then activate online (once per module)

Then I have no further need to connect to net, all is well

This new way is more of a rental type deal, phone home at our designated period or else you can no longer rent our software

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boris (Post 3306317)
People really have issues with having to be online in this day and age? Are there people who still use dialup, or is it just a matter of principle?

Because due to circumstances outside our control net can go down (ever had issues with an ISP?) guess not
Some people do not have 24/7 access to the net, some might not have it for a while (eg weeks)
We have legally paid for our software, why would it be fair to punish us

And the basic fact is that we were sold these modules under the guise of "requires internet connection to activate"
Or are ED going to offer refunds because they have changed to deal after we have already paid

BIGNEWY 11-30-2017 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny_Rico (Post 3306320)

Right now I
1. buy a module
2. install

This new way is more of a rental type deal, phone home at our designated period or else you can no longer rent our software

But you play online in servers?

So you already contact the master server, I don't see the problem

finch 11-30-2017 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGNEWY (Post 3306280)
This system is much better, and I am glad to see it happening.

We already login to DCS and when you are online it checks with the server, when you go into your module manager it tells you what modules you can install anyway. Nothing has really changed for the end user apart from a step closer to not using starforce.

Many on this forum have spent years feeding back about how starforce is disliked, and when ED find a way of making things easier for the end users some still dislike it. Of course they can not keep everyone happy, but their software has to be protected in some way, personally for me, this is the best option.

I agree... getting rid of starforce is the best news

Johnny_Rico 11-30-2017 09:50 AM

I play both MP and SP

When Iam not connected to the net (travelling etc) I can play SP

New system means No play
Or if master server goes down no play for everyone

finch 11-30-2017 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny_Rico (Post 3306320)

Right now I
1. buy a module
2. install

Because due to circumstances outside our control net can go down (ever had issues with an ISP?) guess not
Some people do not have 24/7 access to the net, some might not have it for a while (eg weeks)
We have legally paid for our software, why would it be fair to punish us

And the basic fact is that we were sold these modules under the guise of "requires internet connection to activate"
Or are ED going to offer refunds because they have changed to deal after we have already paid

You don't have to be 24/7 online with the new DRM, once activated, if I understood right, you can fly and no need to login or to be online, after 4 days if you haven't connected then it will ask you to go online to verify the license.

BIGNEWY 11-30-2017 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny_Rico (Post 3306331)
I play both MP and SP

When Iam not connected to the net (travelling etc) I can play SP

New system means No play
Or if master server goes down no play for everyone

You can still play single player when travelling, it only needs to contact the server once every 4 days currently ( ED will listen to the feed back so this may change ) even a tethered mobile is enough for a login.

Master server has never been down for 4 days consecutively, ever.

Johnny_Rico 11-30-2017 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGNEWY (Post 3306339)
You can still play single player when travelling, it only needs to contact the server once every 4 days currently ( ED will listen to the feed back so this may change ) even a tethered mobile is enough for a login.

Master server has never been down for 4 days consecutively, ever.

What if you have no connection of anytype ? software wont work

It doesnt have to be down for 4 days, just the day when you are forced to connect

Why did ED not communicate these changes while they were selling
the Harrier on pre-order ?
Did one of the programmers just go to the managers yesterday morning "got a great new idea for changing the copy protection" ?

BIGNEWY 11-30-2017 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny_Rico (Post 3306348)
What if you have no connection of anytype ? software wont work

It doesnt have to be down for 4 days, just the day when you are forced to connect

Why did ED not communicate these changes while they were selling
the Harrier on pre-order ?
Did one of the programmers just go to the managers yesterday morning "got a great new idea for changing the copy protection" ?

It has been rolled out into the public beta branch for testing and was announced in the patch notes, how much more warning do you need?

The new copy protection happens to be with the AV8B luanch but will eventually be with all modules, it wasn't a selling point for the harrier, it is a DCS feature.

Johnny_Rico 11-30-2017 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGNEWY (Post 3306361)
It has been rolled out into the public beta branch for testing and was announced in the patch notes, how much more warning do you need?

The new copy protection happens to be with the AV8B luanch but will eventually be with all modules, it wasn't a selling point for the harrier, it is a DCS feature.

How much more warning ?

The amount I asked for, a couple of posts above
The ability to make an informed decision based on what you guys knew was about to happen, but did not tell us.

"By the way if you pre-purchase the Harrier it will come with a new DRM system
that will force you to phone home to our servers every 4 days or you purchased software will stop working"

Even Matts Letter did not go into this at all, such a big change should have warranted a few sentences in his heart felt letter surely?