ED Forums

ED Forums (https://forums.eagle.ru/index.php)
-   DCS: F/A-18C Hornet (https://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   nosewheel oversteers on touchdown & takeoff... (https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=252481)

fitness88 10-13-2019 08:07 PM

nosewheel oversteers on touchdown & takeoff...

The F/A-18 even with rudder curvatures tested as high as 40, which helps, the plane still oversteers on touchdown & takeoff. The nosewheel if turned slightly too much runs the plane off the runway.
There was only one other plane I found that had this issue and I had to disable nosewheel steering once I reached 50 kts. to maintain directional control.
Anyone have a solution for the F/A-18?

Thank you.

Harker 10-13-2019 08:16 PM

Consider disabling NWS past 70 knots or so, anticipate changes and use differential braking if you're about to go out of the runway.

TomCatGoad 10-13-2019 08:56 PM

I thought most planes you disable the nws once over a set amount of knots (usually when the aircraft is going fast enough for rudder authority).

fitness88 10-13-2019 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harker (Post 4072520)
Consider disabling NWS past 70 knots or so and use differential braking.

As for differential braking, I find takeoff is more of an oversteer issue than landing. Is disabling NWS the procedure after xx/kts speed or is it just a fix for the F/A-18?

I know in modern commercial airlines it's done automatically.

Harker 10-13-2019 09:14 PM

I don't know if Hornet pilots disable NWS during the takeoff roll. I don't disable it at all, I use very small constant inputs. I also use differential braking if NWS isn't enough (during a bad takeoff roll), even during takeoff. It might increase the takeoff distance, but not much and minor braking inputs are enough to correct my course.

fitness88 10-13-2019 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harker (Post 4072583)
I don't know if Hornet pilots disable NWS during the takeoff roll. I don't disable it at all, but I do switch to differential braking as needed, even during takeoff. It might increase the takeoff distance, but not much and minor braking inputs are enough to correct my course.

Do you mean enable anti-skid option?

Harker 10-13-2019 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fitness88 (Post 4072588)
Do you mean enable anti-skid option?

I mean use differential braking, as in apply a little bit of braking pressure to either the left or right wheel, if you need a larger controlled correction. Anti-Skid should be enabled if you're operating from an airfield and disabled on the carrier.

fitness88 10-13-2019 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harker (Post 4072612)
I mean use differential braking, as in apply a little bit of braking pressure to either the left or right wheel, as needed. Anti-Skid should be enabled if you're operating from an airfield and disabled on the carrier.

Got it thanks! I find the aircraft movement from left to right is too quick to be able to compensate using pedal braking.
It's not an aircraft deal breaker but I really need to focus alot when rolling out. Disabling NWS above 50kts. really helps but I feel it's not proper procedure so I don't want to.

Harker 10-13-2019 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fitness88 (Post 4072621)
Got it thanks! I find the aircraft movement from left to right is too quick to be able to compensate using pedal braking.
It's not an aircraft deal breaker but I really need to focus alot when rolling out. Disabling NWS above 50kts. really helps but I feel it's not proper procedure so I don't want to.

It takes some getting used to. It's worse in the Viper for me, but I suspect it'll get easier with time. A tip, if I may, don't wait until you have to react. I make very small corrections all the time during my takeoff roll with NWS and later with the brakes (if needed) and the rudder.
Don't correct the aircraft, correct your actions before you see their results. I almost constantly tap both the left and right brakes, in tiny amounts. If I have to turn left to stay on course, I'll simply add a little more "left" to my left-right taps.
You need to be a little more focused than on some other modules, but it'll become easy after a point. Also, you can avoid the runway altogether and go for some carrier ops.

fitness88 10-13-2019 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harker (Post 4072645)
It takes some getting used to. It's worse in the Viper for me, but I suspect it'll get easier with time. A tip, if I may, don't wait until you have to react. I make very small corrections all the time during my takeoff roll, initially with NWS and later with the brakes and the rudder.
Don't correct the aircraft, correct your actions before you see their results. I almost constantly tap both the left and right brakes, in tiny amounts. If I have to turn left to stay on course, I'll simply add a little more "left" to my left-right taps.
You need to be a little more focused than on some other modules, but it'll become easy after a point. Also, you can avoid the runway altogether and go for some carrier ops.

So I see it's a general situation for everyone...

LOL...they're easy landings usually with case 1 and the take-off is a pleasurehttps://forums.eagle.ru/images/smilies/pilotfly.gif