ED Forums

ED Forums (https://forums.eagle.ru/index.php)
-   Forum and Site Issues (https://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   @DEVS topic suggestion (https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=273858)

Bagpipe 05-20-2020 12:13 PM

@DEVS topic suggestion

So having witnessed yet another toxic reply to an innocent new users post and having been victim to the same sort of behaviours in the past when starting out i would like to ask something of the devs/mods.

When designing your new forum layout, could you incorporate a method of posting a question to ED which DOES NOT ALLOW other users to chip in with their tuppence worth? :doh:
(e.g. " If topic contains "@DEVS" close thread?? or something)

I get upset, as i am sure others do, when i see a new user (or any user really) asking what may appear a silly question to the more advanced users (or phallically challenged?) only for them to be shot down in flames and MOST LIKELY turned away from the forums, at least, and possibly the sim itself.

It can't be possible to be on top of every post made in real time and unfortunately, by the time the mods get to it, the damage has already been dealt.

So, let's come up with a solution to allow users to ask questions free from harm/

:smartass: The only silly question is the one which does not get asked :smartass:

sirrah 05-20-2020 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bagpipe (Post 4338804)
So having witnessed yet another toxic reply to an innocent new users post and having been victim to the same sort of behaviours in the past when starting out i would like to ask something of the devs/mods.

When designing your new forum layout, could you incorporate a method of posting a question to ED which DOES NOT ALLOW other users to chip in with their tuppence worth? :doh:
(e.g. " If topic contains "@DEVS" close thread?? or something)

I get upset, as i am sure others do, when i see a new user (or any user really) asking what may appear a silly question to the more advanced users (or phallically challenged?) only for them to be shot down in flames and MOST LIKELY turned away from the forums, at least, and possibly the sim itself.

It can't be possible to be on top of every post made in real time and unfortunately, by the time the mods get to it, the damage has already been dealt.

So, let's come up with a solution to allow users to ask questions free from harm/

:smartass: The only silly question is the one which does not get asked :smartass:

While I do agree, we should always try and stay polite and mature in our reactions and treat everyone with respect, I also believe that before posting anything, the initiator should do at least some research before spitting out their anger and annoyances based on their own lack of knowledge. And if one decides to do so anyways, certain strong reactions can be expected... sorry, but that's just how internet forums works these days.

I've been around for quite some time on this forum and fortunately, normal questions are pretty much always returned with helpful answers.

When the topic starter isn't capable of counting to 10 before he or she starts ranting, that provokes people to give their own strong counter opinions.

But hey, that's just my $0.02

Bagpipe 05-20-2020 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirrah (Post 4338829)
While I do agree, we should always try and stay polite and mature in our reactions and treat everyone with respect, I also believe that before posting anything, the initiator should do at least some research before spitting out their anger and annoyances based on their own lack of knowledge. And if one decides to do so anyways, certain strong reactions can be expected... sorry, but that's just how internet forums works these days.

I've been around for quite some time on this forum and fortunately, normal questions are pretty much always returned with helpful answers.

When the topic starter isn't capable of counting to 10 before he or she starts ranting, that provokes people to give their own strong counter opinions.

But hey, that's just my $0.02

Then let's stop allowing it to ruin peoples experience of the forum.

1. Other users will not see the post to get annoyed by it.
2. Customer service employees can communicate freely and directly to give the clearest response to people's questions, from an ED point of view

Win, Win?

But here i am back seat business managing after telling somebody not to back seat business manage just the other day :doh:

QuiGon 05-20-2020 12:48 PM

So you are asking for a forum where forum users are not allowed to respond? Sorry, but that kinda defeats the purpose of a forum. Maybe PM the mods or contact customer support instead?

Of course, answers should be given in a polite, friendly and heartwarming manner, but that also applies to the OP and his question. What usually causes rather unpolite answers is, if a new user is not asking a question on something he doesn't understand, but instead comes in, bursting through the door, claiming things to be wrong ("the A-10 needs AMRAAMs ASAP!"), when it actually is correct the way it is.

Bagpipe 05-20-2020 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuiGon (Post 4338854)
So you are asking for a forum where forum users are not allowed to respond? Sorry, but that's not really the purpose of a forum. Maybe PM the mods or contact customer support instead?

Of course, answers should be given in a polite, friendly and heartwarming manner, but that also applies to the OP and his question. What usually causes rather unpolite answers is, if a new user is not asking a question on something he doesn't understand, but instead comes in, bursting through the door, claiming things to be wrong ("the A-10 needs AMRAAMs ASAP!"), when it actually is correct the way it is.

Ignorance is bliss

This is not an isolated incident regarding A10s and SPAMRAAAAAAMs my man.
This is a bigger issue and one which i believe limits EDs audience

Rudel_chw 05-20-2020 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirrah (Post 4338829)
... I also believe that before posting anything, the initiator should do at least some research before spitting out their anger and annoyances based on their own lack of knowledge.

+1

I fully agree with your view.

sirrah 05-20-2020 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bagpipe (Post 4338887)
Ignorance is bliss

This is not an isolated incident regarding A10s and SPAMRAAAAAAMs my man.
This is a bigger issue and one which i believe limits EDs audience

I don't want to argue with you, because in general I do agree with you about treading each other with respect, but...

I think, compared to what I see on some of the other forums, people on this forum are quite forgiving actually :smilewink:

=4c=Nikola 05-20-2020 01:29 PM

Well, there is already ticketing system where only ED staff answer to your questions. Do we really need parallel system that serves the same purpose?

Bagpipe 05-20-2020 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by =4c=Nikola (Post 4338919)
Well, there is already ticketing system where only ED staff answer to your questions. Do we really need parallel system that serves the same purpose?

Honestly, since i joined the community i have never heard of or experienced said system.
Everyone is calling for a one stop shop for information and communication so i guess this incorporation would assist with that and render the ticket system obsolete?

Anyway, it's a suggestion which the mods/devs can contemplate.

'nuff said:)

QuiGon 05-20-2020 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bagpipe (Post 4338951)
Honestly, since i joined the community i have never heard of or experienced said system.

Here you go: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/
Alternatively just send a PM to one of the moderators.
:)