ED Forums

ED Forums (https://forums.eagle.ru/index.php)
-   DCS: F/A-18C Hornet (https://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   Which is easier to master the F18 or F16? (https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=251835)

joebloggs 10-08-2019 06:46 AM

Which is easier to master the F18 or F16?

Does anyone know which Aircraft is easier to pick up? I like the chucks guides and I learned a lot about the A10C from them. However when I looked at his guide for starting up the F18 there was a list of about 67 things to do :shocking:

I then watched the Wags guide to starting the F18 though and they made it look easy to start it, so it's left me a bit unsure how complicated the F18 really is to startup and fly?

I've looked at the F16 Viper and to me that looks more complicated to start up, but out of the F18 and F16, which aircraft would you guys says is the most difficult to master overall? I did pick up a lot about the A10C, but that was a while ago now and I want to get back into DCS with a fighter aircraft now. Cheers!

Sydy 10-08-2019 07:02 AM

Both will be at the same level eventually. F/A-18C is in a more complete stage and F-16C was just released.
I do not see much of a difference for the start up. Different planes, different procedures, but complexity wise pretty much the same.
If you want a more complete and less buggy plane go for the FA-18. It has much more to learn because the Viper needs patience at this moment and will take time to reach the same level of the Hornet.
Good luck,
Sydy

Rowan 10-08-2019 07:03 AM

They are both pretty simple to start-up and fly, but the F-18 is more complete than the F-16, so there is that to consider.

Atm I personally prefer the F-18.

backspace340 10-08-2019 09:34 AM

The Viper is much easier to start than the Hornet (though they're both very simple) - three switches (battery, JFS 2, throttle to idle) and you can start rolling. That'll change when they both get INS alignment working / as a necessary step, but one engine and less screens makes the Viper a lot quicker!

In terms of which to learn - right now the Viper is super bare bones with lots of stuff either missing functionality or half-implemented and likely to change. So if you want to get in at the ground floor and learn as stuff gets added, then it'd be better for that - but if I were you I'd get the Hornet, there are a lot more complete systems in the Hornet and you don't have to sit and wait to get some mission critical systems (e.g. IFF, waypoint entry).

Rudel_chw 10-08-2019 09:37 AM

The F-18 is easier as it has much less bugs, dont focus just on the start-up.

Eviscerador 10-08-2019 11:04 AM

Both are equally complex. Just ask yourself what do you want to fly, Air Force with Air force ordenance or Navy with Navy ordenance.

Also the hornet is one year more advanced in functionalities.

tintifaxl 10-08-2019 12:00 PM

If you only want one of the two: do you like carrier ops? If yes, then the F/A-18, if not still the F/A-18. (only my personal preference :P)

Ramsay 10-08-2019 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joebloggs (Post 4064821)
Does anyone know which Aircraft is easier to pick up?

The F-16C isn't ready for general use as it's missing way to many features, it's suitable for DCS fans who already have most of the modules (so have a fallback aircraft) or F-16C enthusiasts who want early access to the module and to watch/explore it as it grows.

That's not to say the Hornet is perfect either - I'm currently waiting for TWS to be added and some of it's other systems to become more polished in their implementation before buying a second copy.

Quote:

I like the chucks guides and I learned a lot about the A10C from them. However when I looked at his guide for starting up the F18 there was a list of about 67 things to do :shocking:
The Hornet is a multi-role aircraft and has lots of weapons/systems but you'll still learn them one at a time.

Quote:

I then watched the Wags guide to starting the F18 though and they made it look easy to start it, so it's left me a bit unsure how complicated the F18 really is to startup and fly?
The F/A-18C is relatively easy to start.

Quote:

I've looked at the F16 Viper and to me that looks more complicated to start up,
The F-16C startup includes a lot of system checks - most of those can be ignored, doing so makes the F-16C startup even easier than the F/A-18.
Quote:

out of the F18 and F16, which aircraft would you guys says is the most difficult to master overall?
The F/A-18C is the harder aircraft to master as it has many more weapons systems to choose from/learn and is more feature complete.

Quote:

I did pick up a lot of what the A10C, but that was a while ago now and I want to get back into DCS with a fighter aircraft now. Cheers!
Neither the F/A-18C or F-16C feel as complex or as complete as the A-10C.

I like the F-16C's flight model but IMHO the module is too incomplete (at this time) to be considered for use as a primary/sole module.

IMHO your choices are too buy the F/A-18C Hornet today or wait for the F-16C to be more complete (Mavricks, IFF, TWS, data link, etc. etc.).

Zyll 10-08-2019 01:19 PM

The workflow with the HOTAS on the Viper will be closer to the A10, so if you are comfortable with TMS up etc, you may be more at home with the 16 in the long run. Something to consider.

AG-51_Sabot 10-08-2019 01:22 PM

Probably under the the heading of "Which one is better the girlfriend or the wife...."

Both have their strong points and weakness. Comes down to which one you love the most.