ED Forums

ED Forums (https://forums.eagle.ru/index.php)
-   Missions and Campaigns (https://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
-   -   Operation Snowfox - Persian Gulf PvE Playground (https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=247216)

Surrexen 11-15-2019 12:58 AM

Just a little bit of news to share. A number of you have asked for more things for helo's to do. I have been thinking about what exactly to build for this for a while as I did not want to make something that didn't have any real meaningful impact to the missions, and I think I have finally worked out exactly what and how it is going to work and what it is going to involve.

I now have a working basic prototype for the main code routines, still got a ways to go before I can implement it fully but it's coming along nicely.

sirrah 11-17-2019 08:11 AM

Hi Surrexen
Really like what you've done with Snowfox so far. It became one of my favorite "missions"! :thumbup:

There's only one thing I kinda miss at this moment and that is moving ground forces. This got me thinking, and I'm just thinking out loud now :P, how awesome would the following scenario be:

For instance
When all red ground forces in a certain area are dead, this could trigger blue forces to activate and move into the "captured" zone. For an island like Abu Musa it could mean, blue ships moving from a UAE port to Abu Musa and upon arival trigger blue ground forces to "spawn" on the island.

One step further would be to then trigger red air and ground forces to make them try and re-caprure these zones. But I guess then things would get pretty complicated soon (too complicated for me at least hehe)

Although I understand this would be a lot of work, I expect it to be possible with regular triggers (no scripting), but again I could be wrong. Not sure though, if and how it would effect the 'sanitize' save function.

Surrexen 11-17-2019 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirrah (Post 4110000)
Hi Surrexen
Really like what you've done with Snowfox so far. It became one of my favorite "missions"! :thumbup:

There's only one thing I kinda miss at this moment and that is moving ground forces. This got me thinking, and I'm just thinking out loud now :P, how awesome would the following scenario be:

For instance
When all red ground forces in a certain area are dead, this could trigger blue forces to activate and move into the "captured" zone. For an island like Abu Musa it could mean, blue ships moving from a UAE port to Abu Musa and upon arival trigger blue ground forces to "spawn" on the island.

One step further would be to then trigger red air and ground forces to make them try and re-caprure these zones. But I guess then things would get pretty complicated soon (too complicated for me at least hehe)

Although I understand this would be a lot of work, I expect it to be possible with regular triggers (no scripting), but again I could be wrong. Not sure though, if and how it would effect the 'sanitize' save function.

Moving ground forces is not really an option with this many active units on the map (at least on my machine anyway). Introducing blue coalition ground forces and having both blue and red ground moving against each other will cripple performance. The intent of the mission originally was to flesh out as much of Southern Iran's defences as accurately as I could find out and have everything active from the start so that the map does not feel empty.

There are so many things that 'could' be done, if performance was not a factor in mission design, but it is.

sirrah 11-17-2019 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surrexen (Post 4110103)
Moving ground forces is not really an option with this many active units on the map (at least on my machine anyway). Introducing blue coalition ground forces and having both blue and red ground moving against each other will cripple performance. The intent of the mission originally was to flesh out as much of Southern Iran's defences as accurately as I could find out and have everything active from the start so that the map does not feel empty.

There are so many things that 'could' be done, if performance was not a factor in mission design, but it is.

Yeah, I was afraid you'd say that. The mission is already quite heavy, especially for us vr users, so I could have guessed this. Ah well, maybe one day.

Still lotsa fun anyways!

Digitalvole 11-17-2019 07:31 PM

Was going to ask a question or two myself if you don’t mind Surrexen?

The first one is sort of similar to what sirrah was asking, is it possible to have Troops in Contact missions? Ie SF units with a JTAC caught in a fire fight, no units following waypoints required so maybe not a big impact on performance? Even with the little knowledge of the ME I have I can imagine this could be a rather complicated thing to pull off (how do you make sure the fire fight isn’t long over before you can get there for example?)

The other thing was, are you likely to keep the major SAM sites where they are? I only ask because I’m in the process of creating kneeboards with the coordinates of the units in each battery, with distances between units and such for setting up my jdam/jsow pp info. If there likely to get moved I probably shouldn’t bother. :)

Thanks for your hard work

Surrexen 11-17-2019 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digitalvole (Post 4110462)
Was going to ask a question or two myself if you don’t mind Surrexen?

The first one is sort of similar to what sirrah was asking, is it possible to have Troops in Contact missions? Ie SF units with a JTAC caught in a fire fight, no units following waypoints required so maybe not a big impact on performance? Even with the little knowledge of the ME I have I can imagine this could be a rather complicated thing to pull off (how do you make sure the fire fight isn’t long over before you can get there for example?)

The other thing was, are you likely to keep the major SAM sites where they are? I only ask because I’m in the process of creating kneeboards with the coordinates of the units in each battery, with distances between units and such for setting up my jdam/jsow pp info. If there likely to get moved I probably shouldn’t bother. :)

Thanks for your hard work ������

In response to your first question, I have something special planned. You'll just have to wait until it's ready but it isn't exactly like what you described.

Yes major SAM sites are in their real-world locations (as much as what I could research) with the exception of the Bandar Lengeh SA-11 which was put in to cover the Russian operations out of that airbase (a little creative license was required). Also like I have said before, the SA-10 at Bandar Abbas will be changed for the real-world SA-5 system as soon as the SA-5 comes out, so when re-placing that one it is likely the coordinates will change slightly.

Brett Sinclair 11-18-2019 01:54 PM

Into which folder do I install this .miz file?
I tried the "C:\Users\User\Saved Games\DCS\Missions" path to no avail ("The Round Table" runs fine from the same path).
Thanks.

jwilliams417 11-18-2019 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brett Sinclair (Post 4110979)
Into which folder do I install this .miz file?
I tried the "C:\Users\User\Saved Games\DCS\Missions" path to no avail ("The Round Table" runs fine from the same path).
Thanks.

That's where I have my file and it works fine.

Brett Sinclair 11-18-2019 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwilliams417 (Post 4110987)
That's where I have my file and it works fine.

Thanks. I cannot really understand the issue either, all other missions show up fine.

Digitalvole 11-18-2019 07:49 PM

Good news! I’m sure whatever you have up your sleeve will be great.
I don’t want to brown nose, but dude your “mission” has breathed new life into dcs for me, so I will say again..

Thank you!