ED Forums

ED Forums (https://forums.eagle.ru/index.php)
-   DCS Wishlist (https://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=438)
-   -   Improved stability and dedicated server (https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=215348)

jers 07-08-2018 05:20 PM

Improved stability and dedicated server

I want to keep this respectful as possible and I'm going to attempt to do this without whining, but we're trying to run a online community here at Hoggit (and I'm sure many others) and it's really difficult to do that with the anemia around the multiplayer side of things. I know there's a huge singleplayer base and but I'm trying to make the case here for the online communities who are trying our best to keep your product up and running (and more importantly keeping interest in more of your modules)

The two biggest issues are we desperately need dedicated server software that can run on Linux. It's prohibitively expensive to run dedicated Windows hardware to support dedicated servers.

The second problem is stability is a joke. For years and years we've put up with desync and crashes for all but the most trivial of missions.

We have a community of 14 thousand people that want to play online and most of them have given up, and I can't blame them. We try to give them better mission experiences with things like scripting and complex missions but anytime a mission reaches any amount of complexity at all it grinds to a halt after just an hour or so.

Are we just not driving enough interest in your sales to be worth it? With decent multiplayer our community would probably *triple* and with that comes sales of modules old and new. I'm basically begging at this point to get some kind of definitive answer out of Wags or someone. Even a strongly worded "It's not going to happen" would be better than this limbo.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, maybe we'll get some kind of response. Maybe not, but I'm begging you here guys.

JonathanRL 07-08-2018 05:28 PM

To me, it seems that Eagle Dynamics did not anticipate the popularity the game would have in multiplayer. That however needs to be corrected. I am a new player having just got in through the Summer Sale but what hooked me was the multiplayer possibilities. I am sad to see that they are not in a stable state and supports Jers in wanting it to have improved stability.

Scooternutz 07-08-2018 05:32 PM

I dislike that I have bought all the pay theaters twice so I can host on dedicated server. I did it but I hated it.

CrimsonGhost 07-08-2018 05:39 PM

I second everything that Jers has mentioned above. DCS has been around long enough now that there should have been some form of attention given to this sorely neglected side of DCS. I also agree that while the majority of the player base may lie in the Single Player side there are many of us that much prefer to fly with other human beings. I think most would agree that the AI leaves much to be desired.

I for one am very thankful for the guys at Hoggit as well as all the others, who take their time and hard earned money to host these servers for all of us to enjoy. It should not be as difficult as it is for them to do what they do.

JonathanRL 07-08-2018 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooternutz (Post 3559113)
I dislike that I have bought all the pay theaters twice so I can host on dedicated server. I did it but I hated it.

One would think Eagle Dynamics would find a solution that did not force server hosters to such a solution. You should imho be able to run a server without having any copies of the theaters.

RaceFuel85 07-08-2018 11:20 PM

This really deserves more attention than it’s getting...

mvsgas 07-08-2018 11:44 PM

Are you guys ready for a monthly subscription? Otherwise, how will they maintained servers?

KungFu 07-08-2018 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvsgas (Post 3559423)
Are you guys ready for a monthly subscription? Otherwise, how will they maintained servers?

Not asking for ED to host/maintain servers, just that ED provide a stable MP experience for community run servers and their players by fixing their software.

Acidictadpole 07-09-2018 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvsgas (Post 3559423)

We are completely happy to run our own servers out of our own pocket. It's part of running a multiplayer community. The difference with DCS is that the servers that are required to host any kind of reasonable mission that isn't a one-and-done kind of deal is unreasonable for a user of a video game to fork out.

You can rent a linux server capable of running the DCS specs in all but the Windows Requirement and GPU requirement for 20-50 dollars per month. As soon as you add the windows licensing and the gpu requirements it becomes verging on thousands of dollars per month.

jared9191 07-09-2018 02:38 AM

+1 This is a very important issue that ED needs to at least acknowledge. It shouldn't get brushed aside anymore.