ED Forums

ED Forums (https://forums.eagle.ru/index.php)
-   DCS: Combined Arms (https://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=204)
-   -   Patriot Issue (https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=250130)

FlankerMan 09-22-2019 10:04 PM

Patriot Issue
 
I have found that the Patriot will work just fine with only the ECS, LN, and STR, no need for the AMG, EPP, or ICC. Is this a bug?

FlankerMan 09-23-2019 12:33 AM

Similarly, the Hawk just needs the LN, PCP, and TR, but not the CWAR or SR.

twistking 09-23-2019 09:15 AM

on the hawk it is definitely by design. in theory one should see degraded performance and/or slower reaction time with the lack of the SR, but i doubt that this is modeled in dcs.


i'm not familiar enough with the components of patriot system to say anything about it, but since it has so many components i would just assume, that some are optional...

Ironhand 09-23-2019 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlankerMan (Post 4044156)
I have found that the Patriot will work just fine with only the ECS, LN, and STR...

It should. Those are the three primary components. The other stuff is "fluff".

ngreenaway 10-05-2019 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironhand (Post 4045031)
It should. Those are the three primary components. The other stuff is "fluff".

in reality, none of them are "fluff". if the system functions without them, its because the necessity for power or communications isnt modelled in the game.

the EPP is absolutely necessary to the functioning of the firing unit, unless you have some other source of 480v/400hz power available.

the ICC is not usually co-stationed with a firing unit, but it is a difinitive portion of the kill chain. necessary in real life, it coordinates the info from the air-pictures of subbordinate firing batteries, and communicates to higher levels of command

the amg is neccesary-ish. there are ecs mounted antennae (corner reflectors, or the old ones we used to call "fly swatters") but the amg has greater range. no patriot battery will operate without one. they enable communications between different firing batteries as well as the ICC

please also note that launching stations need to be placed within 45 deg of either side of the radar's boresight. patriot is not a 360 degree system, and any launcher not seen by the radar wont be eligible to launch from

Kang 10-05-2019 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ngreenaway (Post 4060814)
in reality, none of them are "fluff". if the system functions without them, its because the necessity for power or communications isnt modelled in the game.

the EPP is absolutely necessary to the functioning of the firing unit, unless you have some other source of 480v/400hz power available.

the ICC is not usually co-stationed with a firing unit, but it is a difinitive portion of the kill chain. necessary in real life, it coordinates the info from the air-pictures of subbordinate firing batteries, and communicates to higher levels of command

the amg is neccesary-ish. there are ecs mounted antennae (corner reflectors, or the old ones we used to call "fly swatters") but the amg has greater range. no patriot battery will operate without one. they enable communications between different firing batteries as well as the ICC

please also note that launching stations need to be placed within 45 deg of either side of the radar's boresight. patriot is not a 360 degree system, and any launcher not seen by the radar wont be eligible to launch from

Well, 'fluff' might be going a bit far, but while your objection is certainly not amiss, I'd say that the 'outside communication' components would not be necessary for the battery to fire, even if they would never be deployed without them in real life, for obvious reasons. They should become rather important once that 'air defence networking' thing becomes a thing in DCS.

Ironhand 10-05-2019 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ngreenaway (Post 4060814)
in reality, none of them are "fluff"...

That's why the word fluff is encased in "". Those elements are not required in the sim.

ngreenaway 10-06-2019 12:19 AM

iron- thats why i made the distinction between reality, and what is modelled in game.
i see a lot of misunderstanding about patriot, both in the forums and how its placed in missions. I spent 10 years or so working in various capacities from crew member to maintainer to trainer to something akin to middle management with patriot units in several countries.

im really not trying to pounce on what people say , im trying to help people understand the system in as much detail as i feel comfortable putting on a public forum

ngreenaway 10-06-2019 12:36 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvXfNDE0bAk

heres some good video of a site being set up, you get a good overview at the end. the radar is *very* maintenance intensive, and thats most likely why its turned to the side the way it is. i cant remember what is in the bay theyre working on other than a bunch of power supplies. in normal operation, it would be pointed in the same direction the launchers are


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.