Uncage backup ADI

Brassbud

Hi all, just got Black Shark now that I have a GPU that can run it. Since this sim is way too complex for me to just skate through, I'm going through the trainings in great detail.

During the "cold start" training, and also in Matt's videos, it is shown you can "uncage" the backup artifical horizon to the right of the HUD. However, when I click the dial, nothing happens. I've tried dragging the mouse like I do to dim the HUD, but I can't seem to get it. What am I doing wrong?

Also, the yellow levers that control the throttle (I believe) on the bottom left of the cockpit don't seem to move with the mouse. Are they supposed to or do we have to use the keyboard command (Pageup)?

Thanks for any help. Okay, I've already wasted enough time and need to get back to learning how to fire something other than the cannon.

As for the yellow throttle handles you have to use the keyboard

page up= Throttle up

Page down = Throttle down

for commands like this RTFM:megalol:

Dell XPS 630i w/ Dell nForce 650i Sli ,Intel Q9650 @3.0 ,6.0 GB Ram @800Mhz, 2xGeforce 9800 GT 512 MB ,Saitek X52, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals ,Dell 24" 1080P HD monitor, Klipsch THX Pro Media 2.1 ,TrackIR 4, Logitech MX518

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Heya BrassBud, glad to see you're enjoying the sim. To uncage the backup ADI you need to right-click on the bezel at the base of the ADI, and while holding down the right mouse button, scroll the mouse wheel up or down. You'll see the bezel spinning. Just make sure you've switched on the power to the standby ADI, otherwise it won't function.

The throttles can't be moved by the mouse, you need to use page up and page down. Hit page up twice to bring the throttles to the standard position when you want to give power to the engines after a cold start.

Edited by Chizzy101

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever" - Napoleon Bonaparte

:thumbup:standard position = setting throttles to AUTO

Dell XPS 630i w/ Dell nForce 650i Sli ,Intel Q9650 @3.0 ,6.0 GB Ram @800Mhz, 2xGeforce 9800 GT 512 MB ,Saitek X52, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals ,Dell 24" 1080P HD monitor, Klipsch THX Pro Media 2.1 ,TrackIR 4, Logitech MX518

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Here are the 4 detent positions of the throttles, from top to bottom:

FULL (Emergency)

AUTO

Engine limit governor failure (MEDIUM)

IDLE

Thanks AlphaOne! Great info.

Thanks for the help guys, I got it to move once by just hitting every button I could find, but wasn't sure what I had done, so thanks for pointing it out. I guess you can use the mouse wheel for a lot of the dials.

Anyways, I'm seriously considering a TrackIR just so I can find all the buttons and switches in a timely manner (and so I can take a closer look at the text).

Alright, back to Shkval.

I know its probably in the manual, but since we're discussing it :), what emergency situations would require full/emergency power? Guessing, I'd say maybe loss of one of the engines?

Specs: GA-Z87X-UD3H, i7-4770k, 16GB, RTX2060, SB AE-5, 750watt Corsair PSU, X52, Track IR4, Win10x64.

Sim Settings: Textures: ? | Scenes: ? |Water: ? | Visibility Range: ? | Heat Blur: ? | Shadows: ? | Res: 1680x1050 | Aspect: 16:10 | Monitors: 1 Screen | MSAA: ? | Tree Visibility: ? | Vsync: On | Mirrors: ? | Civ Traffic: High | Res Of Cockpit Disp: 512 | Clutter: ? | Fullscreen: On

• 1 year later...
So when I hold down right click on the backup ADI knob and scroll the mouse wheel my view zooms in and out but the ADI does not uncage... Any suggestions?

I think that should only happen when you use the mouse to look around the cockpit. Have you toggled between the different mouse modes (default: LALT+c)?

In lack of precise terminology, I'll describe it like this:

• DCS BS default: mouse cursor is used to manipulate knobs, dials, switches and so on. This mode is the only one in which the backup ADI can be uncaged with right-button + wheel.
  • LALT+c once: mouse is used to view around the cockpit. Scrollwheel zooms in and out regardless of right mouse button.
  • LALT+c once more: same, but without visible cursor/crosshair
  • LALT+c again: back to top of the list and so on

PS: Welcome to the forums!

Does anyone know the difference between the two lowest throttle positions? They are a kind of idle and one is slightly higher RPM than the other but not by much.

You of all people?! :D

A small contribution (info from A16) - there is no penalty for using the FULL throttle setting. The probability of engine failure does not increase because of that.

So when I hold down right click on the backup ADI knob and scroll the mouse wheel my view zooms in and out but the ADI does not uncage... Any suggestions?

Some knobs may need you to hold RightMouse and scroll, LeftMouse + scroll. - sorry, I dont remember which knob / instrument, when, where. But there's a few combinations to try of course.

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

I think that should only happen when you use the mouse to look around the cockpit. Have you toggled between the different mouse modes (default: LALT+c)?

In lack of precise terminology, I'll describe it like this:

• DCS BS default: mouse cursor is used to manipulate knobs, dials, switches and so on. This mode is the only one in which the backup ADI can be uncaged with right-button + wheel.
  • LALT+c once: mouse is used to view around the cockpit. Scrollwheel zooms in and out regardless of right mouse button.
  • LALT+c once more: same, but without visible cursor/crosshair
  • LALT+c again: back to top of the list and so on

PS: Welcome to the forums!

That did it, thanks!

BTW, it's all there

bs_pit_trainer_flash_adi.jpg

Check out this post of mine to make sure you haven't missed more of similar noob goodies ;)

:book: An effective rookie introduction

Edited by Bucic

I do not need to hold right mouse button to uncage. I simply hover over and scroll back. Should work if you do not have mouse look enabled.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Aaron

i7 2600k@4.4ghz, GTX1060-6gb, 16gb DDR3, T16000m, Track IR5

BS2-A10C-UH1-FC3-M2000-F18C-A4E-F14B-BF109

The click-and-hold is to pull the knob so you can mouse wheel it to recage. It's spring loaded in so you need to hold it out when rotating back onto the "locked" position.

When un-caging all you have to do is rotate to the unlock position and the spring will pull the knob back in.

For the Ka-50 I set zoom adjust to MouseZ+Mouse5 so I can use the MouseZ (mouse wheel) for adjustments without also changing my zoom level at the same time.