Does it worth to upgrade monitor to 2K?

Hi

I am using a 1080p 27" monitor with a 60hz refresh rate.

I am planning to upgrade my gpu from gtx1070 to rtx3070

The question is, should I also replace my monitor also?

But the budget is tight so I need to decide carefully

Is a 2K monitor makes a difference in DCS world?

Since getting 144 fps almost impossible, is 75 enough or should I target higher rates?

Fİnally can you advise some brands and models?

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

so full hd is enough? no need to to go for 2k?

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

According to me, full hd is enough.

That same logic can be applied to cameras and filming in 4k...makes no sense as for the longest time the bitrate used for 4k didn't scale with the bitrate used to 1080...therefore the video quality was always worse in 4k than 1080.....yet everyone kept talking about filming in 4k. Makes even less sense when the content is mostly consumed on lower resolution panels

With 1080 We ve reached a level of pixel density even for very big images which is more than adequate...movie theater resolution is....1080p

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

According to me, full hd is enough.

That same logic can be applied to cameras and filming in 4k...makes no sense as for the longest time the bitrate used for 4k didn't scale with the bitrate used to 1080...

Actually no, you cannot apply the same logic. There are advantages to recording in 4k and down-sampling the entire image to 1080p, as well as having the ability to slip in zoom in/out or pan effects without having to actually do it with your camera, just to name a couple of things.

As for a 4k monitor, IMHO if your monitor is a 40" TV, you start seeing a difference.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

True for the panning but that means you re not displaying a 4k image.

Why down sample when you can get more info per pixel straight up?

All 4k does is allow you to have a bigger screen and maintain/improve slightly pixel density.

If you intend on having a similarly sized monitor, no sense on upgrading unless the price is very Attractive or the contrast, colors offered improve picture quality

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

True for the panning but that means you re not displaying a 4k image.

Why down sample when you can get more info per pixel straight up?

All 4k does is allow you to have a bigger screen and maintain/improve slightly pixel density.

If you intend on having a similarly sized monitor, no sense on upgrading unless the price is very Attractive or the contrast, colors offered improve picture quality

When compressing, downscaling 4k to 1080p gives you a better image. When you want image stabilization in post-processing, you can sacrifice a bunch of pixels from your 4k image as opposed to cropping out of a 1080p image and thus presenting a lower than 1080p image resolution. So yes, there are plenty of reasons to go with a 4K camera. True, you can avoid a bunch of stuff by setting up the shot well to begin with. Anyway, whatever - we can argue this in circles all day long. You get what works for you.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Its been a while since Ive played DCS World in 2d, but my 32 inch 1080p monitor really did the trick. I think in games where you need to be able to spot almost pixel sized targets, the larger the pixel the better. So in effect while theoretically you will get better image quality (at the expense of FPS) at 2k and 4k, I think the tradeoff is not worth it. The game still looks great on a large 1080p monitor (make sure to get a very high contrast one) and spotting is easier.

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

Can I just point out that 2K refers to a 1920x1080 (or full HD) monitor? "4K" refers to the width, "4000 pixels", which is actually not exact (normally 4K refers to UHD, or 3860x2160 pixels). So 2K is 2000 pixels in width. This is just a mistake we see repeated all over the web, I don't blame you, just wanted to set the record straight.

As to the point of QHD, or 2560x1440, it is nice to have a higher definition: more legible text, because each character is composed of more pixels, so it is nice for the cockpit, but also for spotting targets at a distance. When a target is too far to be at least one pixel in 1080p, it can already appear as one pixel at 1440p or 2160p because individual pixels are smaller. And definitely to recognize targets visually, since your target will be composed of more pixels, you might have an easier time to recognize what plane you are flying against. Same goes for ground targets, the higher the level of details your screen can render, the better you will be able to notice that little tank hidden between two houses.

Of course, this goes hand-in-hand with screen size, since our eyes are usually pretty average, so a super high res screen with a tiny size will not help so much. But a 32" 1440p or 40" 2160p will definitely improve your experience in DCS massively.

Also, that 3070 is a card that can run almost any game at 4K/UHD in high details @60fps, it is a huge waste of money to buy such a card and only play at 1080p. The card is basically totally under-utilized in this definition.

AMD R7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 4080S 16GB | Varjo Aero | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 + STECS + pedals

Fİnally can you advise some brands and models?

I'd recommend Hardware Unboxed YouTube channel for monitor reviews, and this video specifically:

Hope it helps!

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

one thing I would say, if you are going to change your monitor , get a Gsync or freesync model

I agree, with the added info that "Freesync" is not exclusive to AMD cards anymore. I am running a Freesync monitor in "G-Sync compatible" mode with my GeForce, it works very well (because it is based on VESA's norm for Adaptative Sync, Freesync is just the brand from AMD for this). However the other way around is not true: true G-Sync monitors are usually equipped with a specific module that only runs with nVidia cards in this mode (variable refresh rate). So in order to keep a free choice between AMD, nVidia or who knows, maybe Intel in the future, for your GPU, you should buy a Freesync monitor.

If you are new to this, just know: it makes everything appear smooth because your screen refreshes at the same rate than you graphic card is pushing out images, instead of refreshing at a fixed rate (like 60Hz, 144Hz...). It is really a great thing to have, but most modern gaming monitors offering 144Hz have this technology and work with both vendors (AMD or nVidia).

AMD R7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 4080S 16GB | Varjo Aero | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 + STECS + pedals

best thing about freesync/gsync .................... when DCS FPS takes a dump .... you dont notice it as badly

For this to work, you need Low Framerate Compensation (LFC), which is a feature only available if your Adaptative Sync range is large enough. Basically Freesync/etc. work in a certain range, for example 45-144Hz. Some screens offer Freesync with a limited range like 48-75Hz, this is too limited to have LFC working. A good rule of thumb for LFC is to take the lower number of this range, multiply by 2, and it should still be lower than the highest part of the range.

Example 1: Range of 48-75Hz (for a screen given as "75Hz Freesync"): 48x 2 = 96, it is higher than 75, so LFC will not work (below 48 fps you will notice the drop)

Example 2: Range of 45-144Hz (for a typical "144Hz Freesync" screen): 45x 2 = 90, it is lower than 144, so LFC will work. It means even below 45 fps, LFC is working and displaying each image twice, reducing the impact on smoothness until your graphics card can go over 45 again.

It is not a perfect solution, but still a lot better than nothing. A good rule of thumb is just to avoid 75Hz monitors as Freesync is just not very well implemented for them, and focus on 144Hz screens as those have become quite cheap (I bought a 32" 1440p 144Hz VA screen with Freesync for 250€ recently, and it is a LG with a decent stand at that...)

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a Dell s3220DGF - getting 165Hz from it. GPU is NVIDIA 2070 Super.

• Like 1

Rig: Alienware Aurora R9 - 9th Gen Core i7 9700K 4.6GHz 8 Cores | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 | 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD | 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL DDR4 3200MHz XMP 2.0 | LG Series80 QNED 50in 4K 120hz | TM Warthog HOTAS w/F-18 grip | Logitech G Pro RP | TM Cougar MFDs | TrackIR 5 Pro | VR: Oculus Quest 2 |

Modules: FC3 | F/A-18C | F-16C | A-10C II | F-14 | M-2000C | AV-8B | F-5E | JF-17 | P-51D | KA-50iii | UH-1H | AH-64D | Supercarrier | Combined Arms | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Syria | Normandy | Chanel |