Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Triple Screen, CPU or GPU upgrade, what does make sense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Triple Screen, CPU or GPU upgrade, what does make sense?

Hi,
    I have something I´m asking myself since a long time. Actually I´m using a triple screen setup wit 3x 27” WQHD, respectively a total resolution of 7680 x 1440 (plus the exported MFCDs which have no impact on FPS). I´m running the hardware displayed in my sig (i7 4790K + GTX 1080Ti) and am getting reasonably good FPS (between 45-85, dependend on the situation, settings attached). Higher is always better.
    I read in a PC magazine that at high resolutions the CPU doesn’t matter that much, but also read DCS is very CPU hungry. My GPU is utilized at 98% and the RAM is completely filled when running DCS.
    I wonder if a CPU upgrade would be beneficial for my setup. So I´m asking the triple heads outside for their experience. Does a faster CPU and especially DDR4 RAM improve anything, is it better in frametimes instead of FPS? I´m asking this as the new products out in the market are quite interesting. I only can estimate that upgrading the GPU only would run into limits at one point CPU wise. But when?
    Any information into the right direction would be very much appreciated.
    Thanks and take care,
    Xoxen

Click image for larger version

Name:	Settings DCS.png
Views:	50
Size:	420.0 KB
ID:	7148294
    Attached Files
    Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z-97 Pro Gamer, 32 GB G.Skill Trident X DDR3-2400, Asus GTX 1080Ti ROG Strix OC, Windows 10 64bit Home Premium, TrackIR 5 with TrackClip: Pro!, Hotas Warthog with 7cm extension and Analog Slew Mod, Cougar MFDs with 8" displays, Saitek Rudder Pedals

Here is a post I made regarding my experience upgrading gpu from 1080ti to 3080 on triple 1440p setup. I'm running an 8700k...so it doesn't compare an upgrade to cpu ... But it sounds like your FPS is not far off my 8700k when I was on a1080ti (which is still a beast of a gpu).

https://forums.eagle.ru/forum/englis...d-triples-user
    Intel 8700K, delidded at 5.1 ghz, Asrock z370 Extreme4, 32gb DDR4 3200, MSI Ventus RTX 3080, triple 1440p Dell s2716dg screens, VKB Gunfighter Mk.I, Virpil M50-CM2 throttle, MFG Crosswind pedals.

Comment

Thanks for the answer. I just see in your thread that I left a post as well But this is a good piece of the puzzle. It could be an indication for me to aim for a GPU and gather more eye candy as the CPU is still capable to feed it.
      Hopefully I get some feedback from someone who changed the CPU to underline this.
      Xoxen
      Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z-97 Pro Gamer, 32 GB G.Skill Trident X DDR3-2400, Asus GTX 1080Ti ROG Strix OC, Windows 10 64bit Home Premium, TrackIR 5 with TrackClip: Pro!, Hotas Warthog with 7cm extension and Analog Slew Mod, Cougar MFDs with 8" displays, Saitek Rudder Pedals

Comment

Working...
      X