Benefits of a Home Server

Hello everyone.

I am considering updating my DCS rig. I am wondering if their would be any benefit if I use my current PC as a Home server.

I Fly single player only. In very large complicated missions with lots of AI units and 3rd party scripts running.

Obviously this can have a massive impact on FPS, especially in VR.

If I update my PC and use my existing one as a home server, will this reduce the CPU load on the new RIG and give me a Net benefit in FPS.

I don't have much experience with multiplayer or networking, so I'm looking for advise as to whether or not this is a project worth pursuing.

Current Rig

Pimax 5k+

8700k OC to 5Ghz

32 gig of ram

1080ti

m.2

Rig I'm considering.

Pimax 5k+ (for now)

Intel10900k CPU

Nvidia 3080

64 gig of RAM

m.2

Any and all feed back is appreciated.

In my opinion, yes. Offloading AI workload to your server will reduce the CPU load on your gaming PC.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

In my opinion, yes. Offloading AI workload to your server will reduce the CPU load on your gaming PC.

Thanks Sukebe.

I noticed your server specs in your signature. How long have you run DCS on a server and what sort of performance increase did you achieve.

(Obviously) Upgrading to a new PC is a big expense, I'm trying to work out if the cost to benefit ratio can justify it.

I don't Believe the performance increase from a new PC alone can justify it.

But......

If a server can take over some of the AI work load, it might just make it worthwhile.

The server doesn’t require another account.

If you have enough ram, you can happily run it on the same PC that the client is running on, as it will use alternative CPU core. I’ve not yet seen the server use more than 5GB of ram.

The benefits are variable. Clearly on a simple mission, there’s not much benefit.

However, build something more complex, or try to host for a few friends, and IMO it’s massively better.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

from the start, people have reported MUCH better VR experience by using two computers. It's been reported in the VR thread a while back (maybe 1.5 years ago?

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

whoa, never thought of using my RAM as a second server. I have 64GB's, so plenty to spare. I need to dig into this further...

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

whoa, never thought of using my RAM as a second server. I have 64GB's, so plenty to spare. I need to dig into this further...

You likely have too few cores to make that happen so it boosts your performance instead of becoming a bottleneck.

You have to try it out, but from my VM experience, more cores would be better

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I use a local server to host single missions or play long MP missions as well. This is a workaround for not having a save mission status to continue later. Fly one part of the mission, RTB and park, then set the server in pause, take a long break and come back to do another run. :)

I use a local server to host single missions or play long MP missions as well. This is a workaround for not having a save mission status to continue later. Fly one part of the mission, RTB and park, then set the server in pause, take a long break and come back to do another run. :)

HAHA, good find & workaround !

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Doing this for few days now and at first, didn't notice much improvement. On quick SP missions, I didn't even see server CPU above 4%. But on longer campaign missions, I used to get some stutter as the mission progressed and that seems to be reduced. Saw the server CPU usage going up to 25%. Need to test a bit longer.

Doing this for few days now and at first, didn't notice much improvement. On quick SP missions, I didn't even see server CPU above 4%. But on longer campaign missions, I used to get some stutter as the mission progressed and that seems to be reduced. Saw the server CPU usage going up to 25%. Need to test a bit longer.

Do you have a 4-core CPU ? 25% sounds like 1 core is full tilt in use !?

Similar scenario, I use a 4790k in a Linux Backup server with SSH as the transport protocol.

The SSH daemon uses only 1 core and my speed from server to backup server is roughly 28MB/sec, due to that 1 core at 99% load. The other 3 cores are useless and never in use, for that scenario any CPU with less cores ( say 2 +HT like a fast Pentium Gold in OC ) would outrun that 4790k. ** I use SSH because SMB would allow any clever ransomware trojan to encrypt the Backups as well, SSH eliminates that risc as the pwd is only stored in Acronis and the pipe is only used when the backuop starts and closed when it's done. Maybe someone finds that idea useful.

Mind the 1-core trap

Edited by BitMaster

This rabbit hole is getting far deeper than I had anticipated.

I’m having trouble following what direction people are going in.

Is the consensus:

A) set up a server running from a seperate DCS install on your PC,

Allowing seperate CPU cores to run the server and the client.

B) Setup a seperate rig and network them together.

C) run your missions on a public “pay for play”’server

Im at the edge of my knowledge and experience here.

But I’m very excited to learn more.

I have actually noticed that running the stand alone server on the same machine I'm playing on the main game gets a boost.

So you installed the DCS dedicated server on your machine and then logged into your main dcs account and joined the server?

What was your CPU and RAM usage like?

Few more days and there are some pros and cons of playing on LAN server. Not being able to view mission planner before the mission is one. And am I correct in assuming that you can't directly edit the mission on the server? I have to edit it in my client machine and copy it over?

But the biggest issue I'm having seems to be sync. Ground targets, once hit, slides. Sometimes little, sometimes a lot. Even on LAN with 1 ping. Is there some server setting to remedy this?

I set up a dedicated server on my main PC for single player In VR.

The mission I tested is on Syria and has dozens of AI aircraft, and (stationary) ground units.

I realise results are subjective, but I did find a significant improvement in micro-stutters that are indicative of highly populated missions.

I noticed far more consistent GPU utilization, increased CPU usage and maxed out my 32GB of RAM.

When this mission is flown in standard single player, their is significant micro stuttering and frame loss, especially when AI begin attacking targets and their is a lot of ordinance being thrown around.

The downside to running a dedicated server is.

1) Its a 50GB install

2) its a pain to set up and execute missions

3) I had to modify the mission to work properly

(dedicated server has a bug when spawning units at airbases, had to change them all to spawn in air.)

All in all, I'm pretty happy with the performance improvement and will continue to use it.

I'll probably look to set up a home server, or upgrade my rig.

8700k Delided @ 5Ghz

32 GB of 3200Mhz RAM

OC 1080ti

2 x 960Pro M.2 SSD

Pimax 5k Plus

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to share something I discovered. In this LAN configuration, setting the preload radius to lowest seems to reduce stutters by a lot.

It's like my client CPU is still calculating all the distant AI with high preload radius but with it set to lowest, then the server calculates them and sends them to client as I approach.

Preload radius has no effect for me on single player. But in client - server environment, it seems to make difference. I finally see the benefit of home server.

I have actually noticed that running the stand alone server on the same machine I'm playing on the main game gets a boost.

I used to run an overclocked old zeon chip on the same PC and had a Big lift in performance.

Using a second PC has been used for many years but not mentioned much in the forums also when creating single player missions you can stack up the AI units and take little hit on performance.