Dear ED , could you please give us some insight in Vram usage

GPU-Z and the likes don't give any real insight in how much Vram we need at all unfortunately.

Could you please shed some light on actual Vram usage in DCS ?

We have no way of measuring this, this info has to come from you .

Just ballpark numbers for 2d and VR would be immensely helpful !

Hi, you can test the vram usage of DCS with the new MSI afterburner beta update (not just the allocation):

There is also a tool which lets you create a ramdisk using your gpu memory. So if you have a 8 gig card you can limit the vram dcs can use to 3 gigs by occupying 5 gigs for ramdisk.

https://github.com/prsyahmi/GpuRamDrive

At full hd and high settings DCS uses about 5 gigs on a busy multiplayer server for me. When limiting the vram of my 2070 super to 4 gigs the framerate stays almost the same but i get some stutters and texture pop in when switching F2 views.

But some insight from the devs would be nice.

Those programs only show vram "allocation".

Some programs just like to reserve (allocate) all the VRAM available while only using 10% of it (example)

Apparently the VRAM you actually need (the amount actually USED by the program) is very difficult to measure.

This info should come from ED so we know if we need that ridiculous rtx 3090 or if an rtx 3080 will do (for VR)

I'm beginning to think ED doesn't even know how much Vram DCS uses though.

Those programs only show vram "allocation".

Some programs just like to reserve (allocate) all the VRAM available while only using 10% of it (example)

Apparently the VRAM you actually need (the amount actually USED by the program) is very difficult to measure.

This info should come from ED so we know if we need that ridiculous rtx 3090 or if an rtx 3080 will do (for VR)

I'm beginning to think ED doesn't even know how much Vram DCS uses though.

The program version in the first link i posted was released only a few days ago and shows both both the allocation of the whole system and the working set of the process in foreground. For me in DCS allocation is always ~7.9gb which is all vram my card has.

the actual usage is 3-6gb at the same time. The actual usage also fluctuates fast when changing views, while allocation stays almost the same (8gb).

The program version in the first link i posted was released only a few days ago and shows both both the allocation of the whole system and the working set of the process in foreground. For me in DCS allocation is always ~7.9gb which is all vram my card has.

the actual usage is 3-6gb at the same time. The actual usage also fluctuates fast when changing views, while allocation stays almost the same (8gb).

As I posted my testing here, latest Afterburner per process doesn't show actual usage. It shows allocation to DCS.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4513143&postcount=127

So if your total VRAM usage is 7.9GB and Afterburner shows 3GB per process for DCS, then you have something other than DCS eating up 5GB of VRAM on your system.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I love how the inbuilt overlay in DCS says "Vram : 0.0 MB" . It's SO annoying , can you please fix that ED so that people have some clue about what card to get ? How hard is that

I think the issue is that DCS can ask for x amount of VRAM, but it's up to the OS to give it to you. It's not up to DCS since it's more of a wish than command.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I tried all day yesterday to get an actual V-ram USAGE reading with "special K" . Can't get it to work. :(

DId get it to work in Resident Evil 3 remake.

At 3440x1440P , with 200% supersampling (So in effect 2x resolution , almost 10 milion pixels) , all options highest and textures set to "8K" , that game was actually using around 8 GB of Vram.

That's about half of 'allocated' V-ram.

But,... completely different game, probably much better coded as well. So how this relates to DCS, i have no clue.

• ED Team

Hi

As you know these are our specifications

Minimum system requirements (LOW graphics settings): OS 64-bit Windows 7/8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Intel Core i3 at 2.8 GHz or AMD FX; RAM: 8 GB (16 GB for heavy missions); Free hard disk space: 120 GB; Discrete video card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 / AMD R9 280X or better; requires internet activation.

Recommended system requirements (HIGH graphics settings): OS 64-bit Windows 8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i5+ at 3+ GHz or AMD FX / Ryzen; RAM: 16 GB (32 GB for heavy missions); Free hard disk space: 120 GB on Solid State Drive (SSD); Discrete video card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 / AMD Radeon RX VEGA 56 with 8GB VRAM or better; Joystick; requires internet activation.

Recommended VR systems requirements (VR graphics settings): OS 64-bit Windows 8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i5+ at 3+ GHz or AMD FX / Ryzen; RAM: 16 GB (32 GB for heavy missions); Free hard disk space: 120 GB on Solid State Drive (SSD); Discrete video card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 / AMD Radeon RX VEGA 64 or better; Joystick; requires internet activation.

If you have higher VRAM DCS will try to use it and windows will manage the VRAM allocation accordingly.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

How often does ED change their system specifications? Any insight as to how much longer we can expect these current system requirements to remain?

i7-8700K@ 4.9GHz, GTX 1080ti, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, Samsung 970 Evo 250GB, 2TB HDD, Win10 Home, TrackIR 5, HOTAS Warthog, Hornet Grip, Cougar MFDs, Monstertech desk mounts, VKB T.Rudders, Alienware 34" curved Ultrawide, PG & NTTR, F/A-18C, F-16C, A-10C, F-5E, Mi-8, SA342, UH-1H, Ka-50, L-39, Yak 52, Su-33, FC3.