[result] rtx 3080 for VR

dg6546

Test version 25115210882 (try hard test updated on 23 Sep,2020): https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4496563&postcount=98

Now gonna rest from testing...

Spec:

cpu: i7 8700k @ 4.9Ghz

memory: DDR4 3200MHz 16GBx2

graphics card: ZOTAC GeForce RTX 3080 10GB Trinity (Previously 1080ti with watercooling)

monitor: 1440p 165Hz

VR:

OG vive

steamvr supersampling 1.5 (1852x2056 per eye, ~3704x2056)

Your cpu will still be the biggest bottleneck since DCS cannot utilize all of your cores.

No need to break your bank to buy one until ED decided to implement the new engine.

Time stamps:

0:00 single player flying (free flight)

2:31 low pass

9:21 landing/on ground

11:46 multiplayer on ground

13:47 / 17:47 low pass

16:23 multiplayer flying

um5d22X.png

Flat screen:

I seldom play DCS with my monitor so I don't know what are the optimum settings.

OBS have used 30% of my GPU. You may expect more FPS.

I think those micro stuttering is due to recording.

LB6URr3.png

Edited by dg6546
included screen test

Sorry are you seriously stating there is no difference in VR between the 3080 and your previous card.

If so damn that’s a massive disappointment, even more so to see that you still appeared to have stutters as well. I was hoping the 3080 would allow me to have high graphics, sliders at the very least half right and NO stutters.

Please tell me ive read your first post wrong.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

What CPU you have? Your old GPU was what?

Asus Prime X570-P * Ryzen 5800X3D + Scythe Fuma cooler * RTX 3080 TUF OC 10Gb * Corsair 64GB DDR4 3600MHz * Samsung 980 pro 1Tb + 2Tb nvme * Samsung 850 EVO 512Gb SSD * Corsair RM850x V2/2018 * HP Reverb G2 * CH Fighterstick/Pedals/Throttle * Win11

Yeah CPU for the test plz. Memory? Etc... Also previous card?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Your GPU frametime was very good, but the CPU FT was always in the yellow which should not be the case with modern CPUs. With my current setup, my CPU FT is always in the green zone. If you are using a modern CPU, something is clearly wrong causing instability. Too much overclocking?

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

added spec.

I am now very disappointed... If ED won't update their engine, I think my coming reverb G2 will be useless too

Sorry are you seriously stating there is no difference in VR between the 3080 and your previous card.

If so damn that’s a massive disappointment, even more so to see that you still appeared to have stutters as well. I was hoping the 3080 would allow me to have high graphics, sliders at the very least half right and NO stutters.

Please tell me ive read your first post wrong.

Yeah CPU for the test plz. Memory? Etc... Also previous card?

What CPU you have? Your old GPU was what?

Edited by dg6546

Your GPU frametime was very good, but the CPU FT was always in the yellow which should not be the case with modern CPUs. With my current setup, my CPU FT is always in the green zone. If you are using a modern CPU, something is clearly wrong causing instability. Too much overclocking?

Probably not. My overclock is rock solid and it is on water

• ED Team
Of course it would help, but below ss1.5 I wouldn't be able to see a single word in my cockpit.

Which headset and what native resolution?

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Probably not. My overclock is rock solid and it is on water

Ok then, just wanted to make sure you know what you are doing.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

• ED Team

I was not expecting a big difference with the 3080 to be honest, as I saw the benchmarks coming out, and now the rumour is 3090 is only another 10 - 20% on the 3080.

At this time I have not seen any reason to change my 2080Ti which is giving me good frames in VR and DCS already.

Edited by BIGNEWY

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

[result] rtx 3080 for VR

Much depends from the situation.

Mission fulls of scripting and ai units will destroy even the best cpu...and the gpu cannot help there.

I didn’t watch his video so I don’t know how he tested it.

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest 3  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Of course it would help, but below ss1.5 I wouldn't be able to see a single word in my cockpit.

Pd of 1.5 is very different from 150% ss...

So which of the one did you use?

Pd of 1.5 in dcs or oculus software is more then 200% ss in steamvr for instance.

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest 3  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

OG vive. 2880 x 1600 pixels combined by google

Try to raise supersampling to a level where the gpu is the bottleneck...then you probably will see the difference

Pd of 1.5 is very different from 150% ss...

So which of the one did you use?

Pd of 1.5 in dcs or oculus software is more then 200% ss in steamvr for instance.

steamvr that one

Try to raise supersampling to a level where the gpu is the bottleneck...then you probably will see the difference

Does it make sense to raise even more? My cpu is chocking on its 3 physical core. Graphs are included in the video.

Does it at least lets you go higher graphic setting without frame rate hit? Higher PD or SS? MSAA? Shadows on? It should in theory if your CPU is bottlenecked and have tons of GPU headroom.

Yes it is "bottlenecked" because not all cores are utilized.

No settings are same. Although 3080 is giving me more GPU headroom but it is useless.

Damn same cpu and GPU as me. This does not bo well. God I hope you find a way to solve this. Was thinking bout grabbing a 3090, but looking at this there may not be any point. Was after a FPS in VR of at the least 60 in ALL circumstances , pref up near the recommend 75fps for the Rift S Or new quest 2.

Edited by Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

[result] rtx 3080 for VR

steamvr that one

Does it make sense to raise even more? My cpu is chocking on its 3 physical core. Graphs are included in the video.

If you are cpu bottlenecked the only way to observe differences in performances between two different gpus is to move the load towards the gpu, so raising the resolution.

If you want to compare two different processors you should do the opposite...lower the res in order to move the load towards the CPU.

Anyway here you (we) want to compare GPUs, so raise your res (super sampling) and use the simplest mission possible (no ai units).

The best one I usually use for benchmarking GPU framtimes is the Fa/18 instant action in persian gulf map.

Fly over abu dhabi and observe the differences between resolutions or even better switching GPUs

Edited by VirusAM

Damn same cpu and GPU as me. This does not bo well. God I hope you find a way to solve this. Was thinking bout grabbing a 3090, but looking at this there may not be any point. Was after a FPS in VR of at the least 60 in ALL circumstances , pref up near the recommend 75fps for the Rift S Or new quest 2.

What is your setting? Do you run good? No cpu bottlenecking?

What is your setting? Do you run good? No cpu bottlenecking?

Pretty much identical to your DCS settings, but no it doesn’t run well, I have the ground stuttering all over the place in VR. Which is there regardless of any setting changes. Ref the CPU bottlenecking, if I’m honest I’ve never checked. Hell I wouldn’t even know how to check.

I just stick in recommended settings and check the FPS and see if it’s smooth.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pretty much identical to your DCS settings, but no it doesn’t run well, I have the ground stuttering all over the place in VR. Which is there regardless of any setting changes. Ref the CPU bottlenecking, if I’m honest I’ve never checked. Hell I wouldn’t even know how to check.

I just stick in recommended settings and check the FPS and see if it’s smooth.

I have upgraded my whole rig just for DCS and it still sucks. I know your feeling. I thought it was all about my rig was not good enough, until I got that FPSVR plugin recently in steam. Then I finally figured it out it was DCS’ game engine problem. As you can see the CPU frametime is bad and those bars under cpu graph is cpu utilization of each core. Only three tall bars in the physical core.

At this time I have basically gave up.