[result] rtx 3080 for VR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hansangb View Post
    Not always. Different HW specs have different bottlenecks. always have, always will.

But DCS fires up 50-64 software threads. All of which runs on one core (maybe two, I'm told the audio portion runs on a separate core). And resource meter bears this out.

But again, I understand the complexity of getting the scheduling right for multiple threads to coordinate. I'm afraid when I took Operating Systems, multi-threading wasn't de rigueur! So I have no way of judging what amount of effort it takes to move the software threads to separate physical cores.
    It's not that all threads run on the same core, the operating system will see to that, it's that almost all the important work is done on only one thread.

Think of it this way; a supermarket has 50-64 cash registers, each with a queue, (threads) and 8 cashiers (cores). The cashiers run between the cash registers to serve any arriving customers. Do the number of cash registers or cashiers matter much when there is a guy with an Eagle Dynamics t-shirt that directs 99 % of the customers to the same cash register?

The answer is no. Only one cashier at a time will be able to do any meaningful amount of work while the others update their Tinder profiles on their phones.

It's directing the customers (the work to be done) to different cash registers (threads) that is hard, because it turns out it's black friday and they're all trying to buy the same TV.

Comment

Originally posted by imacken View Post
      Thanks for that. I wasn’t looking for help, I just get fed up with some people stating that DCS is CPU bound per se.
      I get you, just thought it might be worth checking out. The nVidia default fan curves favor lower decibel operation as opposed to performance.
      Last edited 09-29-2020, 09:47 PM.
      Win 10 pro 64bit i7 8700k @ 5.0ghz (all cores) - EVGA RTX 2080Ti XC Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3200 16CAS, 970 Evo 250Gb boot drive, 970 Evo Plus 1TB, pny 480gb sata 3 SSDx2, 4TB HDD - Acer Predator x34 (3440x1440@100hz), Samsung Odyssey WMR, - Peripherals = msffb2 for heli/prop planes, warthog (for jets), -Warthog throttle, Logitech G13, MFG Crosswinds

Comment

I wonder how many players complaining about DCS being an issue are aware of the limitation of their own PCs?

I just checked on the setting of one and I find this:

Your graphic card is too weak for this processor on 2160p/4K resolution

Average bottleneck percentage:

6.54% at 1080p

8.54% at 1440P

10.09% at 2160p/4K.

Two thing: First I will not commit to Nvidia "new" generation of GPU, there is little new in the technology but a huge increase in size and power use.

Second, Instead of trying to squeeze more performance out of a system by buying new gear, I'm focused in fine tuning what I already have.

Meaning before buying anything, reducing the bottleneck to a minimum at the resolution I'm planning to use it, that would be 7.57% at 2160P/ 4K with the GPU O.C at 105%. This in view of playing DCS in VR with the HP Reverb G2.

The Ryzen 5 3500X work well with DCS, the weak point here is my 1080 Ti 11GB which is no slouch itself so since I've got it second hand at relatively low cost, it's gonna be the subject of my next upgrade.

That's not going to be Nvidia.

MSI B450 GAMING PLUS MAX AMD Ryzen B450 ATX DDR4 Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 5 3600X, EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB, 32GB Kit DDR4-3200, 22' Samsung, Oculus Rift CV1. Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS HOTAS.
        Mirage 2000C, F-15C, Mig-29, A4E.
        Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes.
        So far so good...

Comment

@Thinder, similar place here. R5 3600, GTX 1080 (non Ti).
          There's a small part of me that wants to get a GTX 1080ti and Reverb G2, but I think I'm going to keep saving for a little bit longer, and see what happens over the next year, both Headset wise and graphics card wise.

Comment

Originally posted by A2597 View Post
            @Thinder, similar place here. R5 3600, GTX 1080 (non Ti).
            There's a small part of me that wants to get a GTX 1080ti and Reverb G2, but I think I'm going to keep saving for a little bit longer, and see what happens over the next year, both Headset wise and graphics card wise.
            Right now, I'm limited by the CV1 and I can't really tell if the 1080Ti is capable of handling the G2.

I'll make my decision once I got the G2 and by then, the new generation of AMD GPU will be out, when I upgrade I'll base my choice on the best bound for the R5 3600X.

If it's not done already, try playing around a little with Ryzen Master, there are Game modes and Auto Overclocking modes that makes it easier and safe to fine tune your system.

Simplest setting: 4,500MHz Maximum.

Last edited 10-02-2020, 01:24 AM.
            MSI B450 GAMING PLUS MAX AMD Ryzen B450 ATX DDR4 Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 5 3600X, EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB, 32GB Kit DDR4-3200, 22' Samsung, Oculus Rift CV1. Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS HOTAS.
            So far so good...

Comment

I run the g1 reverb on a 1080ti my settings are below. A lot will depend on your cpu frame times but I get acceptable, by no means perfect,m performance on a 1080ti The g1 and g2 drive the same number of pixels and so you will get similar performance.
              SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-9700K @ 5.1 GHz, 32Gb RAM, EVGA 3090 XC3, Dell S2716DG, Thrustmaster Warthog + MFG Crosswinds V2, HP Reverb Pro SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64, VoiceAttack & VIACOM PRO, TacView

VR Stuff: My 2.5.6. DCS VR Settings, Shaders MOD for VR, My variant of Kegetys mod with clear water and also IC PASS for current beta & stable

Comment

Originally posted by speed-of-heat View Post
                I run the g1 reverb on a 1080ti my settings are below. A lot will depend on your cpu frame times but I get acceptable, by no means perfect,m performance on a 1080ti The g1 and g2 drive the same number of pixels and so you will get similar performance.

That's good news, thanks!

At the moment I run tests after tests (3D Mark and Heaven Benchmarks) to figure the optimum settings for my 1080 Ti, the 3600X is sorted.

So far so good...

Comment

What are you guys doing running steam supersampling @ only 150% with a 3080 ?

You're not going to see much of a difference indeed like that.

Put that slider on 300% , textures high, visibility extreme, Msaa on .

Then test with your 1080 ti first, and then with the 3080.

edit* I can see that in multiplayer or missions with A.I the performance gain will be a lot less. Holy crap just getting into a very simple multiplayer pvp mission with not a lot of A.I at all will put SO much load on only 1 core. It's a little sad actually
                  Last edited 10-02-2020, 11:05 AM.
                  SATAL : "Summary - Tomcat limited to 2 AIM-54A mk74 Phoenix per aircraft for both Diamond and Gold leagues. All other Phoenix types, AIM-54A mk60 and AIM-54C, are currently banned."

Comment

Originally posted by Csgo GE oh yeah View Post
                    edit* I can see that in multiplayer or missions with A.I the performance gain will be a lot less. Holy crap just getting into a very simple multiplayer pvp mission with not a lot of A.I at all will put SO much load on only 1 core. It's a little sad actually
                    This has always been the concern, the results depend a lot upon what you like to use DCS for. Free flight, AI furballs and multiplayer will have very different outcomes depending on just how much the CPU is stretched.

Of course there is nothing wrong with having the best hardware and there will always be gains to be made but I think we just need to manage expectations.
                    Intel i5 8600K 4.8GHz · Palit RTX 2080 Ti Gaming Pro · TUF Z370 Pro · HP Reverb Pro · 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 1Tb SSD · 32Gb G-Skill 3200MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Thrustmaster Warthog . JetSeat

Comment

It's in! MSI gaming trio 3080 card came in this morning with the Postman. At last. So time to test myself. Can I do Magic? We'll see...

First impressions.

Not the ultimate solution!

yes, you can take dcs settings little further like MSAA and distance view, full shadows.

But FPS is not much higher then before.

Statement!

Please ED go for another game engine that makes vr great again.

thanks.
                      Last edited 10-03-2020, 02:26 PM.
                      New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 64 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, RTX 3080(OC 2070 Mhz), Corsair H150 Pro RGB, Samsung 970 EVO 1 Tb, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns

Comment

This sound worrying when it becomes more clear the engine of DCS is at its limit.
                        sigpic

Comment

Well, it will be many years before anything changes in that regard right ?
                          Haven't they quite recently overhauled the engine already ?
                          SATAL : "Summary - Tomcat limited to 2 AIM-54A mk74 Phoenix per aircraft for both Diamond and Gold leagues. All other Phoenix types, AIM-54A mk60 and AIM-54C, are currently banned."

Comment

Well they are moving to Vulkan, the question is when it will be implemented.

Hopefully next year.
                            Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 16GB Ram | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | Oculus Rift CV1 | MFG crosswind Pedals

Project IX Cockpit

Comment

Looking forward to Vulkan. DCS will be amazing once you get a steady 90fps/hz on a high resolution VR headset like the G2 reverb. At that point, who needs the real world anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by SmartWeapon View Post
                                Looking forward to Vulkan. DCS will be amazing once you get a steady 90fps/hz on a high resolution VR headset like the G2 reverb. At that point, who needs the real world anymore?
                                Dont get your hopes up. Vulkan might be able to give some boost in VR, but its not gonna be magic. I'd expect 25-30% improvement in VR at best. Really DCS will benefit probably the most from multicoring some "new" features as they are added in so it won't further bog down the main threads.
                                New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)
                                Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Comment

Originally posted by Krupi View Post
                                  Well they are moving to Vulkan, the question is when it will be implemented.

Hopefully next year.
                                  2 weeks
                                  7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr

Comment

Originally posted by SmartWeapon View Post

45 for me is actually quite good. 90 would be better, of course.

The promise of vulkan for me is the mgpu capability. Where maybe, SLI like function could be had for VR.
                                    hsb
                                    HW Spec in Spoiler
                                    ---
                                    Spoiler:
                                    i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Comment

Originally posted by eatthis View Post
                                      2 weeks
                                      I mean its been more than 2 years since they announced it, I bet its at least 1-2 more.
                                      New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)
                                      Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Comment

Originally posted by eatthis View Post
                                        2 weeks
                                        do you mean that vulkan will be available in two weeks?
                                        My two cents about the turn this community is taking
                                        https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=284141

Comment

Originally posted by Expert View Post
                                          do you mean that vulkan will be available in two weeks?
                                          No, the "two weeks" is a running joke.

Wags announced some of the work was done for Vulkan, but that all the shaders needed to be touched.

So it's probably next year the earliest? That's a SWAG on my part though.
                                          hsb
                                          HW Spec in Spoiler
                                          ---
                                          Spoiler:
                                          i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Comment

Working...
                                          X