Gaming keyboard and mice

Django

Looking for some advice and recommendations for gaming keyboards and mice for flightsim, haven't used such hardware before.

Q) Particularly for combat sim (obviously!), what sort of features are most useful?

Q) Is a gaming mouse useful if you already use HOTAS?

Edited by Django

Regards, Django.

| BMS | DCS OB | A-10C II | AV-8B | F-16C | F/A-18C | FC3 | Persian Gulf | Supercarrier | Tacview | XP11 | FF A320 | FF 757 |

| I7-9700K + NH-D15 | RTX3080Ti 12GB | DDR4-3200 16GB | Aorus Z390 Ultra | 2X Evo 860 1TB | 850W | Torrent Case |

| Warthog HOTAS + CH Pedals | 32" TV 1080p 60Hz | TrackIR5 |

I have a logitech G903, which I'm sure is overkill for dcs, that said I find it useful in VR at least. Mainly because of the programmable buttons. For example, I mapped / to a button, that makes navigating comm menus a one-stop shop.

Can't have too many buttons, and in VR it's really nice to have stuff you can operate by feel.

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

It doesnt need to be a 150$ mouse but it should also not be a 15$ mouse.

I like Logitech K&M and I am on my 2nd G700 mouse, ~75-90߀/$. Precise, Laser, Cordless and/or cable ( I run the cable ), fully programmable, all in FirmWare, not Software. Love it.

I like backlit keyboards cause its easier to type when light is low but tbh, I run 10$ keyboards cuz of the kids ruining them with all sorts of fluids and Ice Cream fingers etc.. . Once that period is over, I will get me a NICE LED keyboard. But it's of no use now, a waste of money with young kids..LoL. Just ruined my Multimedia KB...arrghhh, glad it was a Dell I got 4 free.

For a Flight Sim you need decent K&M, but not the highest priced ones and not the same as for a FPS game or Dota2 etc... just a decent one and a precise mouse.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I have the Logitech g903 w/ the induction charging mousepad as well. It is amazing. It is as responsive as a USB mouse with the freedom of being wireless and there is no need for batteries. Drivers work flawlessly. This gives me a lot of freedom for positioning the mouse on the desk wherever I want regardless of where the stick, throttle, kb, mousepad, and other desk items are located. I use VR (rift cv1) so I cant always see the desk and need to be able to pull everything into hands reach all at once. This is probably the best mouse on the market. my last Logitech mouse lasted over 10 years, so when you consider its cost/durability it is also probably the cheapest mouse.

I run a mechanical keyboard, Corsair k95 RGB - I do not recommend this KB.

I have a Razer mechanical Black Widow Stealth keyboard as well - I do not recommend this KB either. The Razer KB has a dead left alt key and a terrible cloud based driver-profile thing. The k95 rgb keyboard has burned out LEDs and a terrible onboard profile and icue driver abomination thing. both keyboards are overpriced garbage. Do _not_ buy their products.

Try and find a mechanical keyboard that does not have backlighting as that stuff is highly prone to failure. Saves $ too.

# Can anyone give specific examples how a mouse with lots of buttons is useful?

# I'm wondering if I should put the cash into my HOTAS and make do with a basic keyboard and mouse?

Regards, Django.

| BMS | DCS OB | A-10C II | AV-8B | F-16C | F/A-18C | FC3 | Persian Gulf | Supercarrier | Tacview | XP11 | FF A320 | FF 757 |

| I7-9700K + NH-D15 | RTX3080Ti 12GB | DDR4-3200 16GB | Aorus Z390 Ultra | 2X Evo 860 1TB | 850W | Torrent Case |

I personally don't see the value of using gaming mice/keyboards in DCS . I use a $40 trackball and a $20 keyboard , both of which work for my purposes very well . 2 caveats : I only use my 'puter for DCS , and i fly in VR so i minimise keyboard use .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

# Can anyone give specific examples how a mouse with lots of buttons is useful?

# I'm wondering if I should put the cash into my HOTAS and make do with a basic keyboard and mouse?

Well a) put the cash into your HOTAS. b) if you're not in VR, there is no advantage, just go for the keyboard.

c) In general, and especially in VR, it's helpful to map the following keyboard commands

-- comm menu

-- Kneeboard functions (show, scroll, mark)

-- Pop up windows (eg chat, SRS, controls)

-- VR center

-- Throttle on/off idle

-- External lights on/off

-- Bogey dope

-- Certain carrier functions (esp cat hookup)

-- Bit test switch (Hornet)

-- ESC

-- Gear, flaps, hook (a little awkward to mouse this on approach and maintain stable flight)

-- Refueling probe

-- F10 view (and F1 to return to cockpit)

On FC3 aircraft it's also helpful to map position/collision lights, taxi/landing lights, HUD brightness or color, and stuff you need to deal with SRS in VR (eg changing channels or frequencies)

You will use the HOTAS for a lot of these things. You'll reserve a hat switch for comms, various ways of doing that. Gear and flaps are typically mapped to buttons or switches on the base. Etc. But eventually you're gonna run out of buttons, especially if you're in VR, especially if you're flying FC3 aircraft. At that point, your options are:

-- keyboard in the lap

-- USB numpad (glue beads to the keys to help you work by feel)

-- Button box

-- Voice attack

-- Mouse or trackpad with programmable buttons

Some functions (VR zoom, VR center, ESC) are mapped to VR controllers, but the controllers aren't programmable and end of the day they are a little clunky to use

Regarding the mouse, you're grabbing for that thing a lot, you get muscle memory real quick and there are certain things you'll use a lot with your hand on the mouse, comms obviously but also kneeboard, chat window, VR center, and (with FC3 aircraft) SRS controls

A lot of it is just trying to reduce thrashing around when it counts, especially during approach and climbout, approach to the tanker, etc.

TBH if you're flying solo it's really hard to beat Voice Attack, I got out of the habit cuz my squad just can't wrap their heads around SRS, and while some of the commands are not intrusive (I'm supposed to say "wheels up" anyway) it does tend to jam the channel and irritate my wingmen. That said, check out the combination of Voice Attack and Vaicom (note the spelling). You can say things like "Wheels up," "Extend probe," "Ready pre-contact," and "Laser on." Pretty slick.

Programmable mice aren't necessarily expensive, you don't need the mac daddy and I would definitely fund a HOTAS before I'd splurge on a $100 mouse. Just for DCS. (Me, I have my paw on that mouse all night long, I just wanted a nice mouse.)

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

Yeah I just splurged and got the Logitech G903 Mouse, really loving it so far.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• 1 year later...

Any recommendations for a programmable LED keyboard in fall 2020 - really looking for a budget option? Does not have to be mechanical or any fancy lighting effects. I just want to be able to:

1) Set the colour of all the keys to whatever single colour I want - e.g like the green colour in US cockpits.

2) Even better to program the colour of individual keys.

Regards, Django.

Any recommendations for a programmable LED keyboard in fall 2020 - really looking for a budget option? Does not have to be mechanical or any fancy lighting effects. I just want to be able to:

1) Set the colour of all the keys to whatever single colour I want - e.g like the green colour in US cockpits.

2) Even better to program the colour of individual keys.

I've got the MSI Vigor GK80 mechanical Cherry Red, wich i'm very happy with. LED colors are programmable individualy for each key and can be changed via keys on the keyboard. The software gives you way more options, but is not needed to program the LED colors what i think is a nice feature. It's just not a budget option, i paid 160€ for it. But is definately worth the money

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\t Views:\t0 Size:\t1.95 MB ID:\t7114123","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"7114123","data-size":"full"}[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\t Views:\t0 Size:\t2.04 MB ID:\t7114124","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"7114124","data-size":"full"}[/ATTACH]

6ae421a191ea588ef1955b037cef6157.thumb.jpg.dd96ee092d6c9d49e8ecae1164c9ffcb.jpg

0db3b1c032ce5e9a3b4d3585bbd527b3.thumb.jpg.2f9f373baa3a96197cb9f0a3609489df.jpg

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

• 2 months later...

There is no doubt that mice are subjective but one could establish that these mice are based on a set of base parameters. I love the design of my G700 but the battery life sucks. I have not seen a replacement (of value) that solves the battery life issue but keeps the design so I keep plugging away with that one. I have long since replaced the battery with a rechargeable of the same substrate (NIMH). If I was looking for a replacement I would definitely see a list of affordable but high quality gaming mouse as what makes finding right gaming mouse due to the sheer amount of variety across all products.

Edited by StevenBrown

• 2 months later...

Old thread but I have a question. I was thinking of getting the Corsair K55 budget keyboard which has 6 (G1-G6) macros which can be programmed using a single dedicated key (MR) on the keyboard itself, ie, no software needed. But will such macros work in DCS? If it doesn't then I would rather just get the Razer Cynosa G2.

Edited by GrEaSeLiTeNiN

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64