War movies to be seen...

zakobi

This is a thread where you can recommend other, movies about war, you've seen.

Mine:

Saving privat ryan

blackhawk down

Kelly's heroes (it's not as serious as the other, but still good :D)

P.S. it's not which you like must, top 3, top 10 etc. It's movies you recommend other to see.

• Like 1

Brotherhood of War. (Or Tageukgi, transliterated from the Korean title.) Very good movie about the Korean War - and from a Korean perspective instead of our common west-centric view.

Letters from Iwo Jima is also pretty good with a nice insight in the more human aspect of the Japanese "Banzai" stereotype.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Der Untergang - The last moments of Hitler and his third reich.

IMDB

Europa Europa - A true story about a German jewish boy who tries to survive in the war and ends up in Hitler Jugend while trying to hide who he is. Trailer IMDB

Indigènes (Days Of Glory) - North African men enlist in the French army during WW2 to fight the Germans.

IMDB

Jarhead - US marine sniper in the Gulf War. (Got to warn that the movie isn't full of the actual sniper action.)

IMDB

Memphis Belle - Story about the last flight of the famous B-17 bomber named Memphis Belle. Trailer IMDB

Max Manus - True story about a Norwegian resistance movement. I must say that combat scenes looked very realistic!

IMDB

Rescue Dawn - True survival story of an American Skyrider pilot who got shot down in Vietnam and captured by Vietnamese for several years until an epic escape. Trailer IMDB

Stalingrad - The famous battle from the German perspective. Fighting in the icy hell until the bitter end. Trailer IMDB

Tmavomodrý svet (Dark Blue World) - Great film about Czech pilots in RAF during Battle of Britain. They used their flying scenes from the movie Battle Of Britain and enchanced them with modern effects to make it look very authentic.

IMDB

Звезда (Star) - Russian scouts during WW2 behind the enemy lines on a deadly mission. Propably the best Russian war movie I've seen. Clip IMDB

Das Boot - The famous movie about a WW2 German submarine hunting and being hunted in the waters of the Atlantic ocean. A must see. Trailer IMDB

Generation Kill - Not a movie but a 7 part miniseries about the Iraqi war through the eyes of recon marines and a reporter who rides with them in their Humvees on the way to Baghdad. Trailer IMDB

Talvisota (Winter War) - Realistic Finnish movie about the forgotten nordic battles of 1939. How a small army stood up against the overwhelming Soviet army. Highly recommended Trailer IMDB

Edited by Griffin

Hitler - The Rise of Evil, not really a war movie, but it is an excellent dramatization of the events that led up to like half of all war movies ever made. :P

Gula Divisionen ("The Yellow Division"), this one is in swedish and very hard to find even here, but basically it's a 50's swedish "top gun". Not really a "war movie" either but no swedish simulator nerd (like me) should allow themselves to not see this one for giggles. (And the props used for "special effects" are hilarious.) Stars the J29 Flying Barrel. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

I once heard about one called "enemy at the gate" or something like that. Is it good?

Yes quit good it`s about an russian sniper (well known sniper I have to add).

Up there the world is divided into bastards and suckers. Make your choice.

Derek Robinson, Piece of Cake, 1983.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, ASUS Motherboard P9X79 Pro, Seagate Baracuda Green 2TB SATA 3.0, DCZ SSD Agility 3 Series 2.6 120GB, HD7950 3GB GDDR5 PCI-E, Corsair XMS3 1600Hz 8GB Vengeance CL9, INTEL Liquid Cooling LGA1155 - LGA2011, INTEL LGA2011 Core I7 3.6Ghz - 3820, Silver Power SP - SS850 850W PSU, 24" Benq HDMI LED Monitor

I once heard about one called "enemy at the gate" or something like that. Is it good?

Quality film, one I can watch over.

Some that haven't been mentioned

The Great Escape

A Bridge too Far

Schindler's List

The Thin Red Line

Patton

Empire of the Sun

Zulu

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

Brotherhood of war - great movie

Das boot - absolute must see

Les faucheurs de marguerites - (can't tell if there is an english version available) cool series

Syriana - does not treat about war directly but more intelligence oriented , show how islam fanatics get their recruits

i'm not an Hollywood commercial movies fan but i was pleasantly surprised by 2001 Pearl harbor too

Firefox & The hunt for Red october are cool too

edit :

Black sheep squadron is cool

Battle of the bulge (tanks)

Edited by jpm1
added new entries

The longest day

(D-Day At Normandy) with John Wayne, Henry Ford, Carl Malden AMO.

Flags of our Fathers

and

Letters from Iwo Jima

Two movies about the Iwo Jima campaign by Clint Eastwood one seen from the American and the other from the Japanese perspective.

Navy Seals

with Charlie Sheen

Flight of the intruder

with Danny Glover, Willem Dafoe, Brad Johnson

We where Soldiers

with Mel Gibson and Sam Elliott as SGM. Plumley "Gentlemen, prepare to defend yourselves!"

Casualties of War

With Michael J. Fox and Sean Penn

Tora, Tora, Tora

The attack on Pearl harbour

About 100 times better then "Pearl harbour" from 2001

The Dirty Dozen

A must see war movie with Lee Marvin

M.A.S.H

with Donald Sutherland, Elliott Gould and Tom Skerritt

Tree Kings

With George Clooney, Mark wahlberg and ice Cube

Glory

The American civil war with Denzel Washington and Matthew Broderick

• Like 1

Tora, Tora, Tora

The attack on Pearl harbour

About 100 times better then "Pearl harbour" from 2001

Ugh, Pearl Harbor. I get so annoyed with the dogfight scenes where it appears everyone has gun convergence set to be 20cm in front of them. I actually have it on DVD anyway though - was bundled with a magazine I bought. For the price of a 5 dollar magazine I would have bought anyway it was actually worth it. :P

That is an awesome film. Shame they had to use those merlin-engined spanish 109's, but it still works. And reminds me: A Bridge Too Far. Borrowed those two on VHS way back from my then computing teacher, (who was british and had a collection of british war movies) and was completely blown away by them. For those that don't know, A Bridge Too Far is about Operation Market Garden - the 1944 attempt at circumventing the Siegfried line and end the war in europe "by christmas". I tend to see it in those budget DVD stands at grocery stores for like 5 dollars, definitely worth it.

Edited by EtherealN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

battle of britain. 1969 version.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Britain_(film)

Michael Caine: How much longer Ops? The engine's overheating, and so am I.

Classic.......

Agree with Griffin about Indigènes (Days Of Glory). It was shown on the UK channel Film4 a few months ago - it was excellent. One of the best films of any genre I saw in 2009.

Edited by Brit_Radar_Dude

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry Death, you lose! It was Professor Plum....