I was weak

ngreenaway

And bought the new flight sim that shalt not be named. Perhaps it'll be done installing when I wake up tomorrow. I anticipate the content will be a mile wide but less than an inch deep. In any case, I'll be out only 3 hours worth of wages, and if it's like X- , I'll be reminded once more how much I like DCS

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

Ah yes, been there as well. Downloaded it, hoped in it (used my old TrackIR with it), after some oohs and aahs over the clouds, I quickly (a few days) fell into the hole of it being indeed "a mile wide but less than an inch deep", and came to the painful realization of "boredom simulator" being a thing, with no decent ASM or PFM to be found, and a huge harddrive hog at the end of the day.

I ended up uninstalling it. Maybe once they offer VR I'll take a look again...

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

For me it was an expensive way to get an "aerial photo" of my house.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Which would be great if it actually looked like your house.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

I tried it using a free 1 month xbox subscription, for a week ... didnt like it, so ended up canceling the subscription.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

awaiting VR as well....

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Did you guys really expected something more of the MS game? I'm really curious what people expected that installed it, launched it and then almost immediately get bored by it?

I didn't even bother trying it as it is quite obvious how mediocore it is compared to DCS.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Did you guys really expected something more of the MS game?

I expected a flight manual for each aircraft, and the ability to save flight plans. Also expected better support For my hotas and oculus rift.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

I'm rather hoping that I can use a copy to draw my son into DCS.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Did you guys really expected something more of the MS game?

I distinctly remember a great many claiming it would ''kill DCS'' just prior to launch... unsurprisingly, it's a modernised version of FSX, with everything that implies. I will admit I had high hopes, but am not terribly surprised by how it turned out. I have not purchased it myself, based on reviews.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

I distinctly remember a great many claiming it would ''kill DCS'' just prior to launch... unsurprisingly, it's a modernised version of FSX, with everything that implies. I will admit I had high hopes, but am not terribly surprised by how it turned out. I have not purchased it myself, based on reviews.
Word!

I got the Premium Deluxe version while a

I was at it. And it really makes me feel happy about the fact that I got myself the Syria map too. Maybe I'll get myself a helicopter when one's available, to make me feel even more happy about DCS.

I'll be out only 3 hours worth of wages

If only I was that rich to be able to say that even on a DCS module in a 50% sale...

I expected a flight manual for each aircraft

Devs of that thing: What's a... manual...? icon_rolleyes.gif

And, to be fair, it's an utter stutter fest, literally the worst I've ever seen. DCS Buno 43453 was a charming dream compared to that. And yeah, that was the one which took like over half an owa to load up, only to run at like 3-4 10s freezes a minute.

"They did a really good job on this logo though. Really, super bang up job!"

~CW Lemoine

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Sometimes you need to look elsewhere to really appreciate what u have (although I don't suggest this in marriage, spouses rarely take too kindly to such things)

But I did manage to fly a few short flights...the inevitable "there's my house!" Flight, cuz orbx released the tacoma narrows airport which is very close to my house...but several things are already clear, and i want to talk about dcs, not msfs....

1. I don't know how people flight sim without vr. Really, it's vr that's responsible for me getting as deeply into flight sims as I am. If not for vr, I'd still be playing video games and not flight sims

Yes, msfs is photorealistic. I could identify my sailboat in my driveway...but looking at a monitor, I lost perhaps 90% of the immersion. I think anyone going from dcs vr to msfs on a monitor would agree. It just doesn't feel natural. For whatever detail dcs lacks, I prefer it any day of the week and twice on Sundays over a monitor

2. For all it's faults, I prefer the mission editor in dcs and the ability to share missions. Unless I'm missing something, I haven't seen an option to air start at some random location or on the ramp cold& dark. Maybe it's there. I had guests over , one who was from Rome. I would've liked to set him up in the air over time to fly around but the could only start at an airport nearby. In dcs mission editor, it's easy to change start position or even aircraft. ME can be counter intuitive, but I'm glad we have what we have. The alternative is much worse

3. There's a serious lack of a sense of purpose. This is important, in the army leadership was defined as providing purpose , direction, and motivation... We have that in the scenarios we create in dcs , or in trying to perfect the numerous systems in every aircraft. That's really lacking in msfs. It seems to be "sight seeing simulator", but I could be wrong. Perhaps there's some challenges, but certainly nothing like the campaigns we have, or any sense of progression

4. I haven't tried many, but it seems the aircraft are more simplistic. Handling was still a challenge when set to 'hard' but military aircraft by nature have many more systems to master . Compare the a-10c to 787. The smaller aircraft is still far more complex

I don't think dcs has anything to worry about the newest iteration of msfs. It does bring a lot more people into the hobby, as the shortage of sim hardware can attest to. They may come to dcs looking for a bit more. Dcs is a couple feet wide but very deep. It may provide some good ideas where dcs may improve, but also I can see plenty of things I hope dcs never adopts.

It has lotsa wow factor, but can't measure up to what we have here

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

I haven't purchased it myself. I did see the deal of $1 for a month's subscription plan that would give a cheap 'try' before buy and even with that have decided against it at this stage.

There's been other companies that have been supporting the flight sim community for many years after one larger company decided to just drop everyone because it didn't suit them - I've really lost interest in the former co.

Sure - the others may not have the mega developers behind them - but for the most part, they've stuck it out with the community and have been there and I think have worked on feedback.

One thing I've noticed with bling is that it's soon forgotten about. I've watched many a movie and found older movies with much worse effects better than more modern movies with CGI. (Just take the original star wars for instance).

Eye candy is great for adverting and sales - and I've drooled at some of the epic graphic video's of DCS even... but it's short lived. It's what's under the hood and what it can provide in everything else that at least for this person warrants whether a simulator is worth investing in.

I'm hoping if anything that the new Flight Sim will bring others to the hobby which DCS will reap the end - long term reward from. (I'm also hoping that the new bling seen may help expedite the updated graphics engine coming to DCS as bling is one thing but FPS is another :) - but I suspect they're already giving it the best that they can so it won't make much difference).

Sometimes you need to look elsewhere to really appreciate what u have (although I don't suggest this in marriage, spouses rarely take too kindly to such things)

But I did manage to fly a few short flights...the inevitable "there's my house!" Flight, cuz orbx released the tacoma narrows airport which is very close to my house...but several things are already clear, and i want to talk about dcs, not msfs....

1. I don't know how people flight sim without vr. Really, it's vr that's responsible for me getting as deeply into flight sims as I am. If not for vr, I'd still be playing video games and not flight sims

Yes, msfs is photorealistic. I could identify my sailboat in my driveway...but looking at a monitor, I lost perhaps 90% of the immersion. I think anyone going from dcs vr to msfs on a monitor would agree. It just doesn't feel natural. For whatever detail dcs lacks, I prefer it any day of the week and twice on Sundays over a monitor

2. For all it's faults, I prefer the mission editor in dcs and the ability to share missions. Unless I'm missing something, I haven't seen an option to air start at some random location or on the ramp cold& dark. Maybe it's there. I had guests over , one who was from Rome. I would've liked to set him up in the air over time to fly around but the could only start at an airport nearby. In dcs mission editor, it's easy to change start position or even aircraft. ME can be counter intuitive, but I'm glad we have what we have. The alternative is much worse

3. There's a serious lack of a sense of purpose. This is important, in the army leadership was defined as providing purpose , direction, and motivation... We have that in the scenarios we create in dcs , or in trying to perfect the numerous systems in every aircraft. That's really lacking in msfs. It seems to be "sight seeing simulator", but I could be wrong. Perhaps there's some challenges, but certainly nothing like the campaigns we have, or any sense of progression

4. I haven't tried many, but it seems the aircraft are more simplistic. Handling was still a challenge when set to 'hard' but military aircraft by nature have many more systems to master . Compare the a-10c to 787. The smaller aircraft is still far more complex

I don't think dcs has anything to worry about the newest iteration of msfs. It does bring a lot more people into the hobby, as the shortage of sim hardware can attest to. They may come to dcs looking for a bit more. Dcs is a couple feet wide but very deep. It may provide some good ideas where dcs may improve, but also I can see plenty of things I hope dcs never adopts.

It has lotsa wow factor, but can't measure up to what we have here

I agree with a lot of what you say. As I would love to get into modern VR, it's not an option for me right now. And as I bought my first VR headset in 97, (native support in EF2000, what a blast), I know it will be cool. But cool enough? Maybe when we get much better FOV, and my 7 year old needs to be swapped out. Well it's time for that anyway.

As for number 2. Just zoom in on the globe/world map. Double click or right click or something, and set as departure, and you can airstart anywhere. That's a feature of love to see in DCS actually. Well, the simplicity of it.

Cheers!

But cool enough? Maybe when we get much better FOV, and my 7 year old needs to be swapped out. Well it's time for that anyway.

As for number 2. Just zoom in on the globe/world map. Double click or right click or something, and set as departure, and you can airstart anywhere. That's a feature of love to see in DCS actually. Well, the simplicity of it.

Cheers!

Vr really is the cats pajamas, the bees knees- like I said, it was the hook that really brought me into vr. What I've found more important than FOV is clarity. Last I checked, monitors had a pretty limited fov as well, looking around is much more natural in vr tho

picture.php?albumid=1828&pictureid=12377

My in-laws just moved back to the US from russia. I had Sergey, my father-in-law, flying around sochi in a mig19 and off the Kuz near batumi in the mi-8. One of the joys of dcs+vr is watching people experience it for the first time, it has much more of an effect on them than if they were staring at a monitor.

I haven't gotten to dig into 2020 that much because we have guests staying with us, and after I finished installation, we had more guests coming for dinner but that touches on another thing I can appreciate about dcs- whatever we may complain about slow downloads on the days that everyone and their brother is updating dcs at the same time, it's still far better than the excruciating 15 hour installation process I had with 2020

System:

... whatever we may complain about slow downloads on the days that everyone and their brother is updating dcs at the same time, it's still far better than the excruciating 15 hour installation process I had with 2020

This! +1

There's nothing wrong with preferring one sim to another or one kind of simming to another.

However, perhaps one might prefer different things on different days. I have 3 sims on my PC that coexist nicely. Each has its' strengths and weaknesses. There's certainly a lot more to civil simming than watching the scenery go by.

MSFS20 is in it's infancy. Give it a chance to stand up.

So, I think some might enrich one's simming experience with a different simming flavour. Flight sims are products, much like your favourite beverages, or fishing rods (plural) or cars, if you are rolling in it. You might choose to use a different product depending on how you feel. Flight sims are not political parties, or religions.

There's nothing wrong with preferring one sim to another or one kind of simming to anonther.

True, and many of us do. I also have il2, but it rarely keeps me for long for some reason. The title refers to the fact I bought this in a moment of weakness, because it was going to be a hard pass for me until vr gets implemented.

I got an additional 10-20 minutes of stick time last night ( crowded schedule and in-laws still gonna be here awhile) and I was able to do air starts (thanx MAXsenna) , all the points I made earlier are things 2020 reinforced that I prefer with dcs

System:

Vr really is the cats pajamas, the bees knees- like I said, it was the hook that really brought me into vr. What I've found more important than FOV is clarity. Last I checked, monitors had a pretty limited fov as well, looking around is much more natural in vr tho

picture.php?albumid=1828&pictureid=12377

My in-laws just moved back to the US from russia. I had Sergey, my father-in-law, flying around sochi in a mig19 and off the Kuz near batumi in the mi-8. One of the joys of dcs+vr is watching people experience it for the first time, it has much more of an effect on them than if they were staring at a monitor.

I haven't gotten to dig into 2020 that much because we have guests staying with us, and after I finished installation, we had more guests coming for dinner but that touches on another thing I can appreciate about dcs- whatever we may complain about slow downloads on the days that everyone and their brother is updating dcs at the same time, it's still far better than the excruciating 15 hour installation process I had with 2020

Yeah! You're right of course. I just want MORE/perfect! And I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get that eventually in my future simpit with 10 projectors, not VR. Very annoying that Nvidia dropped stereoscopic...

15 Hours???!!!! Jeeeez... I seriously live on top of the world. 45 minutes for me. And that was like watching paint dry.

True, and many of us do. I also have il2, but it rarely keeps me for long for some reason. The title refers to the fact I bought this in a moment of weakness, because it was going to be a hard pass for me until vr gets implemented.

I got an additional 10-20 minutes of stick time last night ( crowded schedule and in-laws still gonna be here awhile) and I was able to do air starts (thanx MAXsenna) , all the points I made earlier are things 2020 reinforced that I prefer with dcs

Hehe yeah. Once a month I may venture into Il2. Every other week MSFS, trice a week plus, Desert Storm.

Every day, like 5-10 hours. DCS

I expected a flight manual for each aircraft, and the ability to save flight plans. Also expected better support For my hotas and oculus rift.

I guess you have never played any of the previous MS Flight Simulators, because otherwise I really wonder what gave you those expectations for an MS FS.

With DCS we are used to a very high standard of accurate aircraft simulation that not many other commercial sims can (or even want to) reach.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg