No announcement yet.

So what's your critical opinion on the new map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It looks fine. But the texture remind me a little bit of Arma 3. And yes, the texture reminds more of year "2014" like "stormridersp" said. It have also some laggs that I dont see in other maps after upgrading from 16 to 32gb ram. I dont like laggs, so I dont play it so much.

Comment

You guys are sooo picky... its the best map for DCS period.

It has variety, hitorical sites, nice areas for what iff, nice for just flying, and I disagree on that there are no palce for ground battles,

Well there have been no more ground battles since 1991, If you can call that a battle more like a masacre...

From 2000 till now there is only dissimilar war: recon identify, bomb, repeat...

Real battles took place on the 60s 70s and DCS has no assets and no plane sets for that-

Now compared to Caucasus, and PG, I say is a very well done change of scenery, fun to fly, nice to look at... I say its a must buy.

By the way Caucasus is also only good on the coast, there are huge mountains in between so I dont see the big criticism..

PG: Inland Iran.. nothingness.. United Arab Emirats- just not there...

I really cant understand the criticism to Syria...

Comment

Multiplayer unplayable
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Baco View Post
          You guys are sooo picky... its the best map for DCS period.

It has variety, hitorical sites, nice areas for what iff, nice for just flying, and I disagree on that there are no palce for ground battles,

Well there have been no more ground battles since 1991, If you can call that a battle more like a masacre...

From 2000 till now there is only dissimilar war: recon identify, bomb, repeat...

Real battles took place on the 60s 70s and DCS has no assets and no plane sets for that-

Now compared to Caucasus, and PG, I say is a very well done change of scenery, fun to fly, nice to look at... I say its a must buy.

By the way Caucasus is also only good on the coast, there are huge mountains in between so I dont see the big criticism..

PG: Inland Iran.. nothingness.. United Arab Emirats- just not there...

I really cant understand the criticism to Syria...

Me, I'm not saying it isn't the best map in DCS. It definitely is, but it's not finished yet. It needs a lot of polishing and optimizing but also a new render engine. The thing is that regardless of how it compares in relation to the other DCS maps, it's irrelevant; for a 2020 release, it looks old and cartoonish despite being so heavy and as other have pointed out, not very multiplayer or VR friendly, unless you have a 2080ti at your disposal of course. I don't.
          B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC, Ryzen 3600, 32Gb DDR4 3600MHz, GTX1070Ti, CH Stuff, Oculus CV1

Wishlist:
          AH-64
          F-15E
          F-117A

Comment

Talking about cartoonish and 2014, UGRAs Normandy map looks even more outdated. Tried it at summer free trials and I was astonished how poor it looked. Colors were so over saturated and cartoonish that it looked quite far from WW2 era.
            Although I know that especially at summer those French fields etc have vivid colors but it's bit too much.

I wasn't aware that the same company did this Syria map too which would definitely have stopped me from buying this at least for now. There is a lot of potential and it will likely get better.
            Last edited 09-14-2020, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Also, thinking about it and comparing to the competition, in DCS they abused so much of the overpowered yellow-redish-beige-sandglow filter that all the colors seems to be washed by it. Just give it a quick search on youtube for comparisons between different flight sims over damascus for example.

FS2020 seem to have a very neutral color, while DCS seems to have an extreme sand haze all over.

https://youtu.be/IBp8-aKm9tI
              Last edited 09-14-2020, 05:17 PM.
              B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC, Ryzen 3600, 32Gb DDR4 3600MHz, GTX1070Ti, CH Stuff, Oculus CV1

Wishlist:
              AH-64
              F-15E
              F-117A

Comment

So I'd like to write a couple of good words to the developer of the Sirya map!
                I love it! This map is definitely the best map in DCS! It is the new level! pleasure to fly on the deck!
                Мой позывной в DCS: _SkyRider_
                Мой канал YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGd..._as=subscriber

My callsign on DCS is: _SkyRider_
                My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGd..._as=subscriber

Comment

Originally posted by Baco View Post
                  You guys are sooo picky... its the best map for DCS period. [...]
                  Originally posted by Shmal View Post
                  So I'd like to write a couple of good words to the developer of the Sirya map!
                  I love it! This map is definitely the best map in DCS! [...]
                  Well, i deliberately asked to be picky. You can be critical and still appreciate the work that was put into something.
                  I think it is obvious how much work went into the map and i still don't really jazz with the look of it.
                  Maybe it is the colour grading as was suggested by stormrider. For me it shows in screenshots like this one.

The details is very high compared to other dcs maps, but the lighting and colours seem a bit off to my eye. It's as if the buildings are shaded incorrectly and therefor stand out too much.
                  Last edited 09-14-2020, 07:09 PM.
                  My personal wishlist after 2 years with dcs: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=216873

Comment

Originally posted by twistking View Post
                    The details is very high compared to other dcs maps, but the lighting and colours seem a bit off to my eye. It's as if the buildings are shaded incorrectly and therefor stand out too much.
                    Have you by any chance checked your screen settings? colours? calibration? With regards to colours and how they look so many times it's not just a software thing but the hardware every single one has at home and how it's configured and/or the lack of configuration.

That pic looks wonderfully in my screen , and I believe I know what you mean, perhaps sometimes it can be seen in YT videos from others (not sure though since real everyone's colour setting is only seen at home), sometimes some screenshots, but in game myself it looks good and nothing like you say so maybe possible something is going on there with regards to colour setting and the screen itself.

S!
                    "I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war." -- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flagrum View Post
                      But you know that DCS is a flight sim, right? (yes, I know that there is Combined Arms ... )
                      DCS is Digital Combat Simulator.

It can be in eyes of someone as "a flight sim", but the COMBAT defines it as much to mean the ground war as well as the air war.

The LOMAC (Lock-On Modern Air Combat) was truly that, with some of elements to just drop bombs and launch missiles/rockets. But DCS World means deeper and more detailed Air-to-Ground combat as well. This is why we have helicopters too.

It is major part what ground forces are, as they are the ones why someone flies.
                      And while the DCS still lacks in the ground part, they are improving it a lot. The core of the up coming Dynamic Campaign is the ground forces. The reason to carry any A-G ordinance is the ground forces.

The problem just is that at this moment there is no good ways to simulate the ground combat and troops at all. They are basically just a target practice boards down there, and nothing else.

Give them even just 10-20% of "intelligence", and they would really stop fighters and helicopters from flying such a way they are now flown.
                      And before anything like that can be done, it requires that the map gets the structure and functions to support all that. No one cares in real world about forests or deserts. They are strategically and tactically wastelands. I don't really know anyone who would locate a company middle of a desert or wildlands just to be there.
                      As all will have purpose, and when there is no purpose, there is no war. And if there is no war, then there is no combat.
                      i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.
                      i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Comment

Originally posted by twistking View Post

It looks like the buildings don't have a proper color shading for the otherway great lighting system. What really makes them exactly pop-up like that. There is like lack of shadows, too bright and such, while the terrain gets darker and desaturated.
                        i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.
                        i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Comment

Originally posted by Fri13 View Post
                          It looks like the buildings don't have a proper color shading for the otherway great lighting system. What really makes them exactly pop-up like that. There is like lack of shadows, too bright and such, while the terrain gets darker and desaturated.
                          Exactly this. Aside form the performance and render distances of trees and buildings my only complaint on the map for now.

Comment

I like it, it is a very nice looking map and it runs well on my PC, so no complaints there. That said I wish that it included more spots in central and northern Syria. Manbij, Afrin, Deir Ezzor being prime examples. Also the south is missing some places, the main one being Daraa, but areas around the Syrian part of the Golan are missing some small places that were held by ISIS back before the SAA offensive there. I understand that not everything can be included, it will run like crap if they tried, but the big ones like Manbij, Afrin, Deir Ezzor and Daraa have reasonable significance.

Daraa was where the civil war started.
                            Kurdish success at Manbij freaked the Turks out enough that they got involved directly to prevent them from controlling Syria's northern border and linking up with the Afrin canton, which was the objective of the al Bab offensive. It is still a site of a potential future Turkish offensive.
                            Afrin was the objective of the Turkish and T-FSA offensive to reduce the Afrin canton.
                            Deir Ezzor was where the Syrians arguably helped to break ISIS' offensive capabilities via a very effective defense of the surrounded city and where one of Syria's more well known generals was killed shortly after the siege of the city was lifted.

There is also T4 airbase which has been very important due to Israeli airstrikes and its use against ISIS.

TL : DR - Beautiful map, so beautiful that I wish that there was yet more to gaze upon.
                            Last edited 09-16-2020, 06:36 PM.

Comment

The southern part of the map is quite nice. Looks like I'll be mission building around Haifa mostly.
                              Last edited 09-30-2020, 10:39 PM.
                              ----------------------

Modules: Nevada, Caucasus, Su-25T, F-16C, F/A-18C, Persian Gulf, TF-51D, Syria, Open Beta
                              140GB of goodness, and counting.

Comment

Sweet Spot

Never mind, found the sweet spot! Golan Heights here I come! Fly this NOE. Have fun!

edit: added weapons
                                Last edited 09-30-2020, 10:39 PM.
                                ----------------------

Modules: Nevada, Caucasus, Su-25T, F-16C, F/A-18C, Persian Gulf, TF-51D, Syria, Open Beta
                                140GB of goodness, and counting.

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMuqawama View Post
                                  I like it, it is a very nice looking map and it runs well on my PC, so no complaints there. That said I wish that it included more spots in central and northern Syria. Manbij, Afrin, Deir Ezzor being prime examples. Also the south is missing some places, the main one being Daraa, but areas around the Syrian part of the Golan are missing some small places that were held by ISIS back before the SAA offensive there. I understand that not everything can be included, it will run like crap if they tried, but the big ones like Manbij, Afrin, Deir Ezzor and Daraa have reasonable significance.

Daraa was where the civil war started.
                                  Kurdish success at Manbij freaked the Turks out enough that they got involved directly to prevent them from controlling Syria's northern border and linking up with the Afrin canton, which was the objective of the al Bab offensive. It is still a site of a potential future Turkish offensive.
                                  Afrin was the objective of the Turkish and T-FSA offensive to reduce the Afrin canton.
                                  Deir Ezzor was where the Syrians arguably helped to break ISIS' offensive capabilities via a very effective defense of the surrounded city and where one of Syria's more well known generals was killed shortly after the siege of the city was lifted.

There is also T4 airbase which has been very important due to Israeli airstrikes and its use against ISIS.

TL : DR - Beautiful map, so beautiful that I wish that there was yet more to gaze upon.
                                  There will be, Afrin T4 shayrat others more will come, hopefully Daraa

Comment

Originally posted by Fri13 View Post
                                    The problem just is that at this moment there is no good ways to simulate the ground combat and troops at all. They are basically just a target practice boards down there, and nothing else.

This will never happen. It's a game in itself. Steel Beasts Pro, as the reference here, does it reliably and convincingly, but it's under constant development for more than a decade now. Even then, infantry and helicopters are still just mere supporting actors in the show. The true meaning of all this is to think how far behind DCS CA is from Steel Beasts.

Wishlist:
                                    AH-64
                                    F-15E
                                    F-117A

Comment

Personally I love it. I know its work in progress, but its already a sandbox!

What we do need generally is more AI and static choices! Come on Syria with ISIL and the various rebel groups. ED has come very far and nothing touches the level of detail! BUT they need to assign a team to build the guts of the content. Get troops types for the factions sorted. Statics like realistic defensive positions, not ARMED HOUSE LOL!

I have learned a fair bit about mission design and always find I have to improvise a lot.

We also need a better mission briefing system where we can add A4 PDFs full screen to read and print before we jump in the cockpit!

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Comment

The biggest issue for me is the lack of radio aids. I think there's only one TACAN station, no RSBN stations at all and only a handful of NDBs. No big deal for the cool kids in the Hornets and Vipers, but the rest of us have to rely mainly on our dead reckoning skills when navigating the new map.

Comment

Does it have seasons? Is there snow on the mountains in winter?
                                          Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Comment

Working...
                                          X