AAR......Tips?

markturner1960

Hi, just started learning the Harrier, great fun, but oh Lordy, how the hell do you manage to refuel? When I turn left to look at where the basket is in relation to the probe, I immediately lose all points of reference and find it impossible to position myself correctly.....( of course it’s doable, I realise that..) what’s the best way to work around this? I’m pretty good at refuelling in the Hornet, but how do you formate on something you can’t see?

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

Looking at your signature, I assume you still fly pancake now. My advise for AAR: Wait for that Reverb G2 and start practicing AAR then. You'll find it to be much MUCH more intuitive.

Possibly because of its flight model, but I find the AV-8B the easiest aircraft to do AAR in (even more easy than the Hornet)

2nd, 3rd, and 4th advice:

Practice, practice, practice :P

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Yes, in this scenario, FOV is king........

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

DONT look at the basket. there is no need to.

The Harrier is by far the easiest module to AAR. Even I can do it 100% of the time which means it MUST be easy. And you dont need VR to do it well. (not saying VR doesnt help in other modules though).

As Skip has already pointed out the info in Maverick's video is all you need. Ignore the basket, Get the hose running just under the AAR indicators on the canopy and you are golden. And ignore the "breakaway" call outs. Adding nose up trim periodically during a longer refuel will also help keep things in check.

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

Thanks all, following the tips, I managed it after a few attempts, as you say, staying on the basket much easier than in the Hornet.

Thanks again!