X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raz_Specter View Post
    so the flyable area is:

1150km x 225km

So no San Julian and No Santa Cruz and no Rio Grande, onlly Rio Gallegos on the continent...
    Last edited 08-14-2020, 07:07 PM.

Comment

so the flyable area is:

1150km x 225km

At this current state of development which is not finished by any means the map is around 12GB, this does not include the addition assets that will also ship with the map
      Cool, thanks! That's indeed quite a bit smaller than the other maps in DCS if I'm not mistaken

Originally posted by Baco View Post
      So no San Julian and No Santa Cruz and no Rio Grande, onlly Rio Gallegos on the continent...
      Having only Rio Gallegos would already be a great addition to the map, making it a much more versatile map than just having the islands itself!
      Last edited 08-16-2020, 11:06 AM. Reason: Changed wording for clarity
      Intel i7-4790K @ 4x4GHz + 16 GB DDR3 + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Comment

yeah it would be a grate adittion but they are more than 225 km apart i am afraid....maybe in the future...

I still would kill for an f10 view of the map in its entirety...

Comment

For those of you much smarter than me, is there any technical reason requiring the map edges to be strictly oriented to primary compass directions? Also, Raz_Specter says "flyable", but that probably means fully detailed, right?

The attached image depicts the area. The rough extent (by my uncalibrated eyeball) of this cropped map west to east is ~700 miles / 1150 km. Stanley is ~120 mi / 193 km south of Santa Cruz's line of latitude. Assuming a north to south limit of 140 mi / 225 km, you could get get as far south as Fox Bay West or North Arm holding Santa Cruz as the northern edge. To get the entirety of West and East main islands, you'd need ~170 mi / 275 km while still holding Santa Cruz as your northern edge. That's what my orange line depicts in the image.

That said, the stated 1150km by 225 km is decidedly ribbon like, and just angling the ribbon could easily put Rio Gallegos in the lower left corner and say Puerto Santa Cruz in the upper left corner while squarely bracketing the entirety of the Falklands / Malvinas. Rio Gallegos and Puerto Santa Cruz are only 185 km by air.

I'm in no way representing Razbam, but I think that a 1150km by 225km rectangle could be drawn that captures the entirety of the islands and two continental bases (Rio Gallegos - Mirage IIIEA, A-4P, IA 58 Pucara and Santa Cruz - A-4P; aircraft types from wikipedia).

For sake of reference, I extended the southern edge far enough south to show Rio Grande. San Julian is 30-40 mi / 50-65 km north of this cropped image. These would appear to be outside of any hypothetical 1150 by 225 km box that held both Rio Gallegos and the Stanley.
          Attached Files

Comment

More mainland means MUCH more dev work, as it's not just about the size of the map, but also about the terrain and infrastructure that needs to be rebuild. The Falkland islands themselves don't have much of that, especially not much infrastructure, but on mainland Argentinia there is quite a bit of that, quickly doubling the work required to make this map
            Intel i7-4790K @ 4x4GHz + 16 GB DDR3 + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Comment

I asked once if it would not be better if the Caucasus map were oriented along the Black Sea coast; ie the top of the map would be approximately at about 30-40°.

The answer I got was that it is not possible, because the engine doesn't allow for it.

Also note, even if landmass is included in a map, it doesn't have to be fully detailed. The original Normandy map had only the few airfields in England fully detailed (if you could call it that), while the rest was a very vague, indeterminate texture, which costs little memory.
              When you hit the wrong button on take-off
              sigpic

System Specs.
              Spoiler:
              No code has to be inserted here.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Orso View Post
                Also note, even if landmass is included in a map, it doesn't have to be fully detailed. The original Normandy map had only the few airfields in England fully detailed (if you could call it that), while the rest was a very vague, indeterminate texture, which costs little memory.
                That's what I'd do. High detail area at the three major airbases and low detail, even the level of Turkey or Ukraine for the rest of the mainland. Unfortunately in this entitled atmosphere even explicitly explaining that decision the buyers will have a fit if they did that.
                Georgian Spring Server: Join the Revolution!
                http://georgianspring.enjin.com/

Training for Sabre Pilots
                http://1-fighter-otu.enjin.com/

http://www.il2aceshigh.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Orso View Post
                  I asked once if it would not be better if the Caucasus map were oriented along the Black Sea coast; ie the top of the map would be approximately at about 30-40°.

The answer I got was that it is not possible, because the engine doesn't allow for it.

And then people start complaining about the poor quality and demand more details, which the devs then have to deliver. That's what happened to the Normandy map.

Comment

90% of the Argentinian coast will be completely uninteresting with regards to the Falklands War. If anyone complains that the areas beyond airfields is not pretty enough, they should go buy MS FS2020 and have fun.

Who cares about such moaners who are not interested in what the product is offering, only to whine that it doesn't contain things completely irrelevant to what the product is trying to provide?

Let's keep our feet on the ground and not worry about uninteresting opinions.
                    When you hit the wrong button on take-off
                    sigpic

System Specs.
                    Spoiler:
                    No code has to be inserted here.

Comment

Originally posted by QuiGon View Post
                      (...)but on mainland Argentinia there is quite a bit of that, quickly doubling the work required to make this map

You've definitely never been to that part of the world, have you?
                      B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC, Ryzen 3600, 32Gb DDR4 3600MHz, GTX1070Ti, CH Stuff, Oculus CV1

Wishlist:
                      AH-64
                      F-15E
                      F-117A

Comment

Originally posted by stormridersp View Post
                        You've definitely never been to that part of the world, have you?
                        I know it's not central europe in terms of population and infrastructure density, far from it, but it's still more than the Falkland Islands have to offer in that regard.

And no, unlike you I have not visited Patagonia and the Falkland Islands personally. I guess that makes me a dumb person, sorry...
                        Last edited 08-19-2020, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by QuiGon View Post
                          I know it's not central europe in terms of population and infrastructure density, far from it, but it's still more than the Falkland Islands have to offer in that regard.

And no, unlike you I have not visited Patagonia and the Falkland Islands personally. I guess that makes me a dumb person, sorry...

You could at least have checked google or bings maps first.
                          B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC, Ryzen 3600, 32Gb DDR4 3600MHz, GTX1070Ti, CH Stuff, Oculus CV1

Wishlist:
                          AH-64
                          F-15E
                          F-117A

Comment

Oh believe me there is not that much infrastructure. a few towns a few roads.. and like Orso said we dont need state of the art reproduction of the whole thing, just the military bases and a few towns would do just fine And there is really a lot of nothingness between bases....

Comment

Originally posted by Baco View Post
                              Oh believe me there is not that much infrastructure. a few towns a few roads.. and like Orso said we dont need state of the art reproduction of the whole thing, just the military bases and a few towns would do just fine And there is really a lot of nothingness between bases....

De acuerdo.
                              Agreed.

Wishlist:
                              AH-64
                              F-15E
                              F-117A

Comment

The whole focus of the map is The Falklands Islands. The addition of the mainland was just to allow people to be able to make the trip from the mainland to re-enact the attack on the islands.

Although the initial map will include Rio Gallegos as the only airfield on the mainland, I will investigate what can be possible to increase the North / South Scale of the map this should then include some additional airports etc.

This will probably be investigated after the beta release of the map, but this has by no means been decided yet. I am just speculating.

Lets seen how far we can take this

I have included a screenshot of what the map will initially include (the grid within the image)

thanks Specter
                                Attached Files
                                Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER
                                Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist
                                sigpic

Comment

The whole focus of the map is The Falklands Islands. The addition of the mainland was just to allow people to be able to make the trip from the mainland to re-enact the attack on the islands.

Although the initial map will include Rio Gallegos as the only airfield on the mainland, I will investigate what can be possible to increase the North / South Scale of the map this should then include some additional airports etc.

This will probably be investigated after the beta release of the map, but this has by no means been decided yet. I am just speculating.

I have included a screenshot of what the map will initially include (the grid within the image)

thanks Specter

IMHO, It'd be a missed opportunity to not include a further portion of this map to the north, not only because of additional airports in the continent, but also because historically, the british task force, in 1982, operated to the northeast of islands, right outside of your boundaries.

Wishlist:
                                  AH-64
                                  F-15E
                                  F-117A

Comment

Thank you so much for the Image Specter!

And thank you for making clear its only Rio Grande for now.

Is the grid area the land and sea included Or is that the "detailed area" but the map will actually have the area depicted in the picture in "no detail" (like Crimea in the caucasus)?

Again thanks for the grate Info! looking forwar to getting this module!

Comment

Thx for update but for me it looks a little ... strange. Not too long horizontally without the appropriate scale of maps vertically? Its only something like 200-250km in vertical with Google scale. For example DCS Syria has 500 km with much more land inside (total 500x600 km + incoming Cyprus ect, so the final version will be bigger). For jets it isnt good idea I suppose. Its 10-20 flight minutes depending on the plane from north to south. It doesnt look good.

According me better to do something like this with more land verticaly (yellow line) with land strip something about 500-600 km.

The ocean is free so no any kind of problem to increase this but pls double (or three times) the size of the land to do something between 500-600km. Is it possible?
                                      Last edited 08-22-2020, 01:18 PM.
                                      Webmaster of www.yoyosims.pl
                                      sigpic
                                      Win 10 64, i9 9900k, GTX 2080Ti 11Gb OC, RAM 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3200MHz,, 3xSSD+2xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] HP Reverb v2 VR only

Comment

thanks Specter
                                        The most important thing is, to include a large body of water to the north and south. Just plain Ocean, so we can be more flexible with the fleet ops...
                                        Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -
                                        Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 32GB | GeForce RTX 2080S - Acer XB280HK 28" 4k | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | TM Cougar MFDs | a hand made UFC | AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Comment

That is very funny..... someone has take time to read the RAZBAM info?

More news to the front
                                          Wishlist: ED / 3rd Party Campaings
                                          My Rig: Intel I-5 750 2.67Ghz / Packard Bell FMP55 / 16 GB DDR3 RAM / GTX-1080 8 GB RAM / HD 1Tb/2Tb / Warthog / 2 MDF / TFPR

DCS: Roadmap (unofficial):https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=116893
                                          DCS: List of Vacant models: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.p...91#post4076891
                                          21Squad DCS: World News: https://www.facebook.com/21Squad-219508958071000/
                                          Silver_Dragon Youtube

Comment

Working...
                                          X