X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://theaviationgeekclub.com/liby...-f-14-tomcats/

Comment

F-14 vs MiG-23 1v1 is not a fair fight, the F-14 is clearly better in both BVR and WVR, there is nothing to argue...

BUT

Wiki says that an F-14A in 1977 cost 19.2 million USD, while the MiG-23 between 3.6 to 6.6 million

If that is accurate, then you could buy 3-5 MiG-23 for the price of 1 F-14A, and production numbers reflect that.

Based on that I'd say that a 1v4 scenario should be considered when talking about MiG-23 vs US 4th gens like the F-14 or the F-15

Comment

From what I read on Russian forums, It seems that MLA is going to be good dogfighter. There are claims that experienced pilot could even win a dogfight with MiG-29. As came for avionics many pilots claimed that its wasnt much difference compared with 29A. Radar and missiles were praised highly for its time. I think this plane is going to be nasty suprise for BLUEFOR pilots.

Comment

Overstratos,

What's the discord link ?

Thank you

Comment

If you crossing head on the F-14, mig-23 should turn in a climb and look for horizontal in a dive.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hip3rion View Post
              Overstratos,
              What's the discord link ?
              Thank you

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=278045

Comment

Health to all. Please tell me when you plan to finish the MiG23 robot? I really look forward to this module from you!

Comment

Great read !

Originally posted by HWasp View Post
                  F-14 vs MiG-23 1v1 is not a fair fight, the F-14 is clearly better in both BVR and WVR, there is nothing to argue...

BUT

Wiki says that an F-14A in 1977 cost 19.2 million USD, while the MiG-23 between 3.6 to 6.6 million

If that is accurate, then you could buy 3-5 MiG-23 for the price of 1 F-14A, and production numbers reflect that.

Based on that I'd say that a 1v4 scenario should be considered when talking about MiG-23 vs US 4th gens like the F-14 or the F-15
                  Judging by the report from the Libyan MiG-23 pilot above, although the Tomcat had somewhat superior ACM characteristics, the MiG-23 apparently could give it a hard time also.
                  Intel i7 4790K
                  GTX 1660 Ti, 6GB
                  16 GB DDR 3
                  Samsung 860 QVO
                  Win 7, 64 bit

- HANGAR -
                  Flaming Cliffs 3 , MiG-21bis , Mirage 2000C , F-14 A / B , F-16C , F/A-18C

- MUSEUM -
                  Flanker 2.0 , Lock On , Black Shark

Comment

Good read.

Now keep in mind that the Libyan "MLD" is just a MiG-23ML with updated avionics. Most probably export MLA-2.

Comment

Originally posted by Lovcar View Post
                      Health to all. Please tell me when you plan to finish the MiG23 robot? I really look forward to this module from you!
                      by "robot" do you mean работы? If yes then the word you are after is "work"

Comment

Originally posted by Bartacomus View Post
                        You guys are silly. The Razbam models are exquisite.

The proof? It triggers OCD! Using a magnifier to question depth of the paint chipping.. *blink*
                        I mean, if this model triggers people to start talking about the governing dynamics of paint or how many coats of paint is historically accurate, Youve got a Winner.

And it is a winner. The only reason i havent gotten the MiG19 is the real world problem of ammo count (and im broke as sin) Maybe the next sale.

The real area that Razbam shines is the flight model, that Harrier is awesome and the flight model had to be problematic to write. Or flip the VRILLE switch in the Mirage.

I regularly down 16's and 14's in my Mirage. If that F15 and Flogger have a flight model comparable to the other modules? and it looks like the 19? ..i might have a conniption fit.

a conniption fit of JOY.. that is.

Thank you.
                        B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC, Ryzen 3600, 32Gb DDR4 3600MHz, GTX1070Ti, CH Stuff, Oculus CV1

Wishlist:
                        AH-64
                        F-15E
                        F-117A

Comment

Originally posted by SovietAce View Post
                          From what I read on Russian forums, It seems that MLA is going to be good dogfighter. There are claims that experienced pilot could even win a dogfight with MiG-29. As came for avionics many pilots claimed that its wasnt much difference compared with 29A. Radar and missiles were praised highly for its time. I think this plane is going to be nasty suprise for BLUEFOR pilots.

...until it is nerfed for being "too good"!
                          Motorola 6502 | 512 bytes | Debug output port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

The difference between a good pilot and a reckless pilot is the good pilot knows the limitations, while the reckless pilot knows the limits.

Comment

Originally posted by SovietAce View Post
                            That sounds like the old story where experienced Soviet pilots flying the MiG-23MLD from the aggressor unit would beat less experienced MiG-29 pilots in mock combat. It doesn't make the MLA a good dogfighter, though.
                            i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Comment

Also remember that g limits are different for each wing position. For MLA straight wing is for takeoff/landing, not for dogfight. They reinforced the wing later on the MLD, together with a dogfight wing position.
                              i5-10600k/32GB 3600/1060gtx 6gb/1920x1200'24/VPC T-50 Saitek X-52 throttle Saitek combat rudder

Comment

Originally posted by Кош View Post
                                Also remember that g limits are different for each wing position. For MLA straight wing is for takeoff/landing, not for dogfight. They reinforced the wing later on the MLD, together with a dogfight wing position.
                                Yeah, plus the vortex generating physical changes on wing roots and the pitot tube which I presume help improve the control surfaces authority at high AoA.
                                i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Comment

They reinforced the wing later on the MLD, together with a dogfight wing position.
                                  As far as I know, even the pilots of the early versions (MiG-23 M, MF) used to set the wing sweep to 30° for dogfighting.

Comment

Originally posted by portman View Post
                                    As far as I know, even the pilots of the early versions (MiG-23 M, MF) used to set the wing sweep to 30° for dogfighting.
                                    OverStratos, is the wing angle handle an axis or more like a gear lever with fixed positions?
                                    i5-10600k/32GB 3600/1060gtx 6gb/1920x1200'24/VPC T-50 Saitek X-52 throttle Saitek combat rudder

Comment

It had fixed positions if I recall correctly

Comment

OverStratos, is the wing angle handle an axis or more like a gear lever with fixed positions?
                                        Fixed, pre-defined positions. Think of it like flap settins.

Comment

The wing angle lever is akin to the gear lever. It has some grooves equivalent to the predefined positions of 16, 45 and 72 degrees, but you can actually put the lever in whatever position you like for any given angle. You know in what position the wing is because you have a wing angle indicator in the cockpit.

Putting the lever in any position will make the wing to stay in that setting, it will not move unless maybe with very high G.

Comment

Working...
                                          X