After the Gazelle, buy another Polychop Helo worth the risk?

marcoscosta

176 members have voted

1. 1. After the Gazelle, buy another Polychop Helo worth the risk?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe, undecided.

I bought the Gazelle because it was just what I want in DCS, a helicopter with a good option of A/G weapons and a conventional style, (the KA-50 not looking as helicopter, its hard to describe), but the Gazelle is a abandonware and is really not fun to fight, not even close of the others helos.

After the Gazelle experience, you feel confident to buy the Scout?

Computer: Potato

Modules: FC3 | M2000C | A/V8B | Viggen | F-5E | F-14B | F-16C | F/A-18 | A-10C | Supercarrier :mad::mad: | UH-1 | MI-8 | Gazelle | KA-50

Yes. Polychop been working hard on Kiowa and their communication is excellent.

They’ve stated once Kiowa done they will revisit the Gazelle to update it.

Any doubts just join their discord channel to keep informed of their situation.

https://discord.gg/ZqrVNR

I’m looking forward to the Kiowa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Being fair, I think the Gazelle is really good now

• Like 1

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Maybe its me, but I can't make the multicrew work right, everytime I use the collective the helicopter spin like a wild horse, I tried many times and every time I leave it aside...

Computer: Potato

Modules: FC3 | M2000C | A/V8B | Viggen | F-5E | F-14B | F-16C | F/A-18 | A-10C | Supercarrier :mad::mad: | UH-1 | MI-8 | Gazelle | KA-50

I'm put off by the Gazelle's unrealistic handling and flying, how bad controls are and even how unrealistic the 3D model is animated during flying and auto hover. Never expected this from a DCS module. If ED's shop system had a refund option, i would have used it a long time ago.

Edited by Alec Delorean

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

Yes. Polychop been working hard on Kiowa and their communication is excellent.

They’ve stated once Kiowa done they will revisit the Gazelle to update it.

https://discord.gg/ZqrVNR

I’m looking forward to the Kiowa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THIS :thumbup:

System Specs: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, RX 6900 XT, 64GB RAM // Tobsen CM Kollektiv, VPC CM3 Throttle, VPC WarBRD Rudder Pedals, VPC T-50 CM2 + WarBRD Base  VR: HP Reverb G2

Helis: UH-1H / KA-50 3 / Mi-8 / Mi-24P / SA-342 / AH-64D  Jets: F-5E / F-14A/B / F/A-18C / MC-2000 / A-10C II / AV-8B / AJS 37 / MIG-21bis  / F-16C / F-15E / F-4E (soon)  WWII: Spitfire / WWII Assets Pack

Tech.: Combined Arms / NS430 / Supercarrier   Maps:  Nevada / Persian Gulf / Normandie / Syria / South Atlantic  Waiting for:  BO-105 / OH 58D / CH-47 Chinook / G.91R / Tornado IDS / A-7E Corsair II

I would answer the poll, but I don't really understand the question.

Will I buy it, or will I pretend to buy it?

Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

I'll likely buy a single copy for myself (giving close consideration to how Barundus and other SME's view it).

I'm unlikely to by a second copy for my son before the Gazelle gets updated but don't know for sure (PC might do a really good job with the KW).

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Pretend buy? Nope actual buy, in a heartbeat. And the gazelle is pretty legit when tuned right

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

The poll question doesn't compute: Pretend to buy? Or actually buy? Weird.

I have all the DCS helicopters and by far I enjoy the SA342 the most. I'll probably be getting the OH-58 given how good the SA342 is (although, as with any new module, I'll always check the reviews first).

Yep on the to buy list for me. :thumbup:

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Maybe its me, but I can't make the multicrew work right, everytime I use the collective the helicopter spin like a wild horse, I tried many times and every time I leave it aside...
Its defiantly you. I use a warthog stick and have no issues flying and I use no curves, as to the Multi crew that's not an issue with PC it's ED that broke the code. One thing to check on your cyclic settings is that you do not have any form of force feed back on

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Window 10, i9-9900,2080TI, 32GB ram Puma Pro Flight Trainer, 2 x 1TB WB SSD NVMe HP Reverb

He is talking about collective, not the cyclic. FFB on or off has no influence on that axis. Also, the Gazelle is the only module with broken FFB support and never got fixed, amongst many other issues where ED can't be used as scapegoat.

Edited by Alec Delorean

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

Gazelle was my first DCS module. I still don't understand the hate it gets. A lot of complaints are from people who have FFB toggled on and a the pitch and roll axes over-saturated, or who still think you can fly it upside-down for more than a quick moment without the blades snapping off or the engine dying.

The only bad thing I can say about the Gazelle is that it runs out of ammo pretty quickly compared to the other choppers in the game. But currently it's the only one that can reliably shoot down fast movers, and it's extremely agile.

Tbh, I didn't even know the Kiowa existed, and the main reason i might get it is because it seems like an updated more modern Gazelle. I'd much prefer to get something like the Apache in DCS, but that's a different thread.

I don't understand why this topic keeps coming up.

Sure, yes, I understand that some people aren't happy with the state of the Gazelle. But please consider:

- NO ONE is demanding you buy the Kiowa on day 1. If you are skeptical, or worried of a Gazelle repeat... why don't you just wait until AFTER other people buy it, fly and fight in the Kiowa, It's absolutely inevitable that in the first two weeks of release, there will be a dozen or more "reviews" in this forum alone. And for certain there will also be youtube DCS reviews and overviews, Why not watch and read those first, and THEN decide?

- Why buy on day one, when you can wait for the first patch/update, which will at least have a chance of fixing tuning or tweeking whatever issues show up upon launch?

And if you are REALLY uncertain... then why not wait for ED to offer a "free weekend trial" like they offered for some products back in April?

- Why buy on day one, when you can wait for the first patch/update, which will at least have a chance of fixing tuning or tweeking whatever issues show up upon launch?

Because this didn't happen after the Gazelle was released in 2016. We are still waiting.

[/Quote]

That is old information, you should stay informed by visiting their #polychop at irc.freenet.org.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

No it is not. Being helicopter doesn't mean that buttons and targeting systems works right. It's flight modeling is totally broken and is getting rewriting after Kiowa Warrior, just as mentioned in first posts.

It is a dead horse as a topic as it is waiting a future to happen.

This is the problem many is facing, looking the Kiowa Warrior videos where players has control input boxes visible and it looks to be a similar case that you don't need to use collective or pedals to fly, and just perform joystick movements when you want to change attitude angle and otherwise keep joystick centered. Difficult to really say.

Why I am holding decision time do I take a risk on day one, or wait years to see nothing changed?

In portuguese, pretend means intend.

Funny thing is that so does it it English.

Pre-Tend

before (a time or an event)

to be likely to behave in a particular way or have a particular characteristic

It has little double speak problem in English as people use it as "faking to do it" and I am guilty for that as well, while it other meanings are "starting to" or "preparing to" with purpose of not really wanted to, so "intend" isn't same as other is made decision to do something, while other is about to look like starting to do something.

Like "I pretend to buy an apple by touching apples at market" so I can to stand next to attractive person, but I have no intention to buy apple but I might end up buying one, or not. Because I am already there, it makes it possible.

One could say "is prepared to do so" as well.

Gazelle was my first DCS module. I still don't understand the hate it gets. A lot of complaints are from people who have FFB toggled on and a the pitch and roll axes over-saturated,[/Quote]

You are right, you don't understand the topic of problem of gazelle.

Like here is a difference.

In a real helicopter if you want to fly in 15 degree bank to right (to fly around an enemy) then you need to move cyclic to the right and HOLD it there. As long you are holding cyclic at right at proper amount (among all other collective and pedal adjustments to compensate different cyclic input) you have constant main rotor AoA (Angle of Attack) applied to overcome pendulum effect based your COG (Center of Gravity).

With Gazelle you start the banking by moving very very, very little the cyclic to the right until you reach 15 degree banking, and then you reset cyclic back to center. And now your Gazelle flies 15 degree bank without main rotor blades AoA change... from neutral.

Because complex three control adjustments that needs to move relative to each others, you must change each control positions through all flight. Constantly work with all three as their positions are required to change through all different changes in flight.

In Gazelle, nope, that is not needed at all. You can have all automations turned off (SAS and TRIM) and it will fly hands free basically forever. You can ramp collective from 25% to 80% and nothing really changes than you gained extra 20 km/h in level flight. To fly gazelle through hard maneuvers at various speeds from 80 km/h to 180 km/h, one doesn't need anything else than move cyclic very very very slightly, and this means hard maneuvers like making level turns in 15 meters radius etc.

The closest thing that comes to Gazelle flight modeling is F-35. Only thing that is different from it is that there is some pedal work required to do in hover. But otherwise Gazelle is like full automatic computerized aircraft. Known as "Flies like on rails".

When one throws away all the helicopter flying skills and knowledge, the Gazelle becomes fun and super simple. But you can not fly it with an expectation that you are flying a conventional helicopter. It will kill you because it is doing totally wrong things than what it should do.

And that is problem with upcoming Kiowa Warrior, as if it is true what released videos about it shows about, it is scary thing....

Like "I pretend to buy an apple by touching apples at market" so I can to stand next to attractive person, but I have no intention to buy apple but I might end up buying one, or not.

Ask her ( or him ) what they think of the Gazelle flight model after you have both fondled an apple together.

That's a great chat up line and guarantees a date :)

---------------------------------------------------------

PC specs:- Intel 386DX, 2mb memory, onboard graphics, 14" 640x480 monitor

Modules owned:- Bachem Natter, Cessna 150, Project Pluto, Sopwith Snipe

I'm put off by the Gazelle's unrealistic handling and flying, how bad controls are and even how unrealistic the 3D model is animated during flying and auto hover. Never expected this from a DCS module. If ED's shop system had a refund option, i would have used it a long time ago.

This. I won't buy the Kiowa.

First day buy for me! The Gazelle has a bad start but now it is an immensely fun little helicopter to fly despite some discrepancies that plague other modules too. I trust PC to make a great module with the KW. They had a very good communication on their Discord channel, but just not on this forum because it became too toxic.

• Like 1

Its funny, people complaining about the gazzelle have no idea how to fly a chopper IRL...

Every chopper pilot I know says its not perfect but hardlly THAT bad...

Then aggain armchair pilots wannabe think they are more hardcore than the real thing LOL..

Yes I will buy the Kiowa.

I enjoy the Gazelle for what it is.