Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gazelle ...what is needed to get the auto hover kicking in!?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Gazelle ...what is needed to get the auto hover kicking in!?

    Hi guys,

    what are the exact conditions to get the auto hover to kick in?

    I am trying to like that chopper ... I really do. But the 10 minutes fight with the Q key to get it to get in auto hover really gets me.

    I am commonly REALLY stable and not able to engage the auto hover. To finally get it kickin in for no apparent reason. Briefly, what are the exact condition to get it hooked?

    Thanks

    #2
    Originally posted by Frag View Post
    Hi guys,

    what are the exact conditions to get the auto hover to kick in?

    I am trying to like that chopper ... I really do. But the 10 minutes fight with the Q key to get it to get in auto hover really gets me.

    I am commonly REALLY stable and not able to engage the auto hover. To finally get it kickin in for no apparent reason. Briefly, what are the exact condition to get it hooked?

    Thanks
    No vertical or horizontal movement well very very little. AP needs to be on for "auto" anything to work.
    Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.
    Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

    Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

    Comment


      #3
      Ground speed lower than 18km/h
      Roll and pitch lower than 30°
      Vertical speed lower than 60m/minute

      Bring the aircraft into a stable hover IGE and you will easily engage AP Hover..

      It is in OGE without a near reference point that people generally have difficulty in engaging the AP hover.

      • You can use the NADIR to monitor ground speed
      • Ensure vertical velocity is zero
      • Switch artificial horizon rotator to the far right position, DOP, and use this display to centre both horizontal and vertical lines
      • You can also use the string indicator


      Ideally have HOVER function mapped to your HOTAS and maintain good control of the aircraft.

      Initially use the controls indicator overlay to confirm when you have successfully engaged the AP Hover.

      Hope this helps some...
      RAF AIR UK
      1(F) Squadron RAF AIR UK (Harriers)
      No 1 FTS RAF AIR UK (Helo's)

      Far too many DCS modules, a black box full of expensive
      gizmos, more controllers and buttons than the space shuttle,
      a face mask and a big TV!

      Comment


        #4
        Look in the folder where the flight manual is, you will find a text document which describes some new features. One of them will allow you to set up guidance bars on the attitude indicator for displacement for aft and side to side, you will quickly work out what it takes to centre them. As long as they are reasonably centred and the VSI is near zero auto hover will engage. I now always fly with this on as I find it the fastest and most consistent way to get into auto hover.

        Edit - this is the DOP mode Gizzy is talking about.

        Comment


          #5
          Alright Gizzy is correct the conditions a very broad (as in broader than a barn door) to drop into "auto hover" perhaps look for the toque indicator jumping up by about 10% which indicates that Auto Hover is engaged.

          Mind the slip indicator is of no use to indicate position with wind.

          Also as "Auto Hover" is a cheat I find it odd that you can't engage it with AP off I mean it's not a real feature so modeling it to be dependent on "real" systems doesn't make sense to me.
          Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.
          Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

          Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

          Comment


            #6
            +1000 for DOP mode of the HSI. As soon as the needles start to center, hit the hover button mapped on your HOTAS (assuming your VSI is close to 0)

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by FragBum View Post
              Alright Gizzy is correct the conditions a very broad (as in broader than a barn door) to drop into "auto hover" perhaps look for the toque indicator jumping up by about 10% which indicates that Auto Hover is engaged.

              Mind the slip indicator is of no use to indicate position with wind.

              Also as "Auto Hover" is a cheat I find it odd that you can't engage it with AP off I mean it's not a real feature so modeling it to be dependent on "real" systems doesn't make sense to me.
              Isn't it just the auto-collective part that's a cheat? I could have sworn I read somewhere that the auto-hover in the gaz is a real thing.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by LazyBoot View Post
                Isn't it just the auto-collective part that's a cheat? I could have sworn I read somewhere that the auto-hover in the gaz is a real thing.
                Yes that explains it's dependence on AP cheers.
                Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.
                Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

                Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

                Comment


                  #9
                  @OP

                  A short video dropping in and out of Auto Hover.

                  Starting in manual hover you'll see the increase in toque when engaged and a similar drop in toque when disengaged. There is also wind so the slip indicator is no use, don't fixate on a reference but use "them" as tools to judge aircraft position.

                  When engaged the Tuque Gage goes up by about 10% and of course your controls no longer respond till disengaged. I just give the the pedals a bit of a wiggle as a check, be aware there is some drift in Auto Hover mode.

                  Also if you haven't already do map the Auto Hover to a button as suggested this will save taking a chance with the keyboard.
                  Last edited 10-06-2018, 09:45 AM. Reason: <typo>
                  Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.
                  Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

                  Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I found that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't causing me much frustration. This worked for me: as soon as it does not want to engage and I am sure my parameters are in limits, press Autopilot Master in the category "Pilot Stick" (not the one "Master On/Off" on the console next to the autopilot pitch, roll, and yaw switches, but the one on the stick). Works like a charm after that. Worth a try.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by LazyBoot View Post
                      Isn't it just the auto-collective part that's a cheat? I could have sworn I read somewhere that the auto-hover in the gaz is a real thing.

                      Well... As this thread has been brought back from the dead, I might as well confirm that the real Gazelle (the ones from the French ALAT, probably not the Westland UK versions) do have an actual auto-hover mode that can be slaved to the Viviane sight.
                      Community Manager Account
                      DrummerNL
                      No code has to be inserted here.
                      Discord - Facebook - Gazelle sitreps

                      Comment


                        #12
                        I'm really struggling with this too. Before I can even attempt to get my aircraft anything like stable to engage the auto hover, trying to slow down to below 18km/h, as soon as I go below a certain speed and get slow I go into a dizzying spin that requires full rudder to counteract. What's causing this spinning whenever I get slow. I obviously must be doing something wrong, not have my AP and/or trim configured correctly or something? Thanks.
                        i7-3770 CPU, 32GB DDR3 RAM, Sapphire AMD Radeon 5700 XT, Oculus Rift S

                        Comment


                          #13
                          That tendency to rotate in a hover is 'normal' and 'correct'. At low forward movement, the tail no longer acts as a weathervane to hold straight.

                          Without this, the torque from the rotor due to the power required to keep a hover causes an opposite rotation in the body of the aircraft, which must be countered with pedal input.

                          This is normal in all tail-rotor helicopter configurations.
                          Balance the torque with pedal to hold a hover.

                          Practice practice practice!
                          i7 9700k | GTX 1080 | 32 gb | X55 + ProFlight pedals | TrackIR | Win10

                          Caucasus | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandy | Channel | Syria
                          A-10C | AV-8B | F/A-18C | F-16C | UH-1H | SA342 | Mi8 | Ka50 | FC3 | CA | SC | Kiowa

                          Comment


                            #14
                            i have a lot of problems with this too
                            basically keep spamming that key and try to keep her as still and level as possible
                            basically you have to hover her to get it goin

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Thanks. I'll keep practicing!
                              i7-3770 CPU, 32GB DDR3 RAM, Sapphire AMD Radeon 5700 XT, Oculus Rift S

                              Comment


                                #16
                                Yep, practice definitely makes perfect! After an amazing VR flight through the valleys on the Syria map, I emerged into Beirut and managed to pull into a perfect hover over the city and just sat there for a few minutes admiring the view. It really does feel satisfying when you manage to suss it. I even managed to transition out of the hover, fly over to the airport, transition back into a manually controlled hover and put it down gently on the tarmac. Something I've never managed to do before in the Gazelle. For anyone still struggling it really is worth the effort of persevering. It suddenly makes the Gazelle a joy to fly instead of a frustration.
                                i7-3770 CPU, 32GB DDR3 RAM, Sapphire AMD Radeon 5700 XT, Oculus Rift S

                                Comment


                                  #17
                                  As mentioned before.
                                  You have to hover first to engage auto hover.
                                  Not split second hover... solid and stable hover... then engage Auto hover and change seats.

                                  HP pro Reverb.

                                  Current settings:
                                  Windows VR setting: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, 90Hz refresh rate.
                                  Steam: VR SS set to 100%, motionReprojectionMode set to "motionreproduction" and Locked in at 45 Hz display,
                                  DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 2 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA.
                                  My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed.
                                  VR Driver system:
                                  I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and 2080ti graphics card, 32 gigs Ram 3200 Hz. No OC at the mo.

                                  Comment


                                    #18
                                    Originally posted by AlpineGTA View Post
                                    Yep, practice definitely makes perfect! After an amazing VR flight through the valleys on the Syria map, I emerged into Beirut and managed to pull into a perfect hover over the city and just sat there for a few minutes admiring the view. It really does feel satisfying when you manage to suss it. I even managed to transition out of the hover, fly over to the airport, transition back into a manually controlled hover and put it down gently on the tarmac. Something I've never managed to do before in the Gazelle. For anyone still struggling it really is worth the effort of persevering. It suddenly makes the Gazelle a joy to fly instead of a frustration.
                                    there you go man!
                                    the trick is you get a hover. you cant be moving too much in any direction, and hit it and it clicks right in.
                                    It gets easier with time of course

                                    Comment


                                      #19
                                      If you are on a cold start make sure you have advanced the fuel control lever (yellow handled one) fully forward to 100% and gated....best to unbind this from your hotas and use the page up key to ensure its fully forward as if its not you wont be able to engage auto hover either......

                                      Comment


                                        #20
                                        Same with the rotor break, if it also isn't fully enaged forward it will also stop the fuel flow lever from fully opening. As Gizmokev says, stick them on a keybind. Or look into some deadzones.

                                        Comment

                                        Working...
                                        X