Canopy auto eject

shinyscouser

Greetings all. I'm working through the tutorials for the MiG-21 and for some reason, whether I'm just taxiing, taking off or learning radar operations, the canopy just releases itself. I don't eject as I've set that to my HOTAS. It's only the canopy.

Can anyone advise if this has happened to you and what you did to resolve it?

Yup, if you don't seal the canopy your MiG quickly becomes a convertible.

• Like 1

DCS module wishlist: F-104S ASA-M Starfighter / F-111F Aardvark / F-4E Phantom II / J 35F2 Draken / J-7M AirGuard / Kfir C.2 / MiG-17F / MiG-21 Bison / Mirage F1 / Su-17M4 / Su-24M / Yak-9U

Cadillac of the skies ?

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

The canopy should stay if only the mechanical lock is engaged, you just won't get pressurization.

If you don't engage either lever then the canopy will fly off. And it's impossible to engage only the sealing lever and not the mechanical lock lever.

• Like 1

Hey guys. Thank you so much. I thought that but it seems that during start-up, taxiing and also inflight, the canopy ejection happens so fast, I don't get a chance to actually lock it.

I'll focus on that the first thing I do.

I should point out that I've done some basic missions last year and the canopy never ejected; especially when I start the in-air missions so I find it bizarre this is happening now.

Thank you once again for your input. Happy flying!

Make sure you don't have it bound to something on your HOTAS, it might be resetting to 'open' if it's bound and the switch is set to the wrong positon. That's all I can think of, I've never had it unlock or blow off except when I know I've forgotten to lock it.

• Like 1

Make sure you don't have it bound to something on your HOTAS, it might be resetting to 'open' if it's bound and the switch is set to the wrong positon. That's all I can think of, I've never had it unlock or blow off except when I know I've forgotten to lock it.

Thanks rossmum. I did check that (one of the first things I did - because when i first got my HOTAS, my aircraft kept diving when I throttled up and it turns out that the throttle was bound to pitch and climb). But, it isn't that.

I'll do as the others suggested and lock the canopy - but the odd thing is, I never had to do that and the canopy ejects even if I start an in-flight activity (so it should be locked automatically).