Why F14A when there's an F14B?

TheTrooper

Hi everyone. I might sound stupid for asking this. I don't really know the difference between the two models. I'm guessing the F14A is an early version than the B version. Why would anyone want to go backwards by flying the A?

Like I said I have no idea and for all I know the A version is better.

-----------------------------------------------

Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-6700 (3.4GHz) 8MB Cache | 32GB HyperX FURY DDR4 2133MHz | MSI GeForce RTX 2070 ARMOR 8G |SSD 1TB 970 EVO Plus M.2

The F-14A had the longest service history and is arguably the most iconic. It also fits the majority of assets in DCS basically perfectly (at least the earlier one will). Unlike literally every other BLUFOR aircraft apart from the F-5E-3, arguably the Mirage 2000C and the FC3 A-10A and arguably F-15C. Where not only are you flying a superior aircraft to start with, now you've got a 20-30 year advantage too.

The A we currently have is a late model A, where the main/only difference are the TF30-P414A engines instead of the F110-GE-400 on the F-14B.

It's not always about what's the latest and greatest, (even if it seems popular and even if it turns DCS into kinda an inconsistent mess), if capability was all I cared about, I would've bought the F-16CM and the F/A-18C and left it at that...

I mean currently in DCS, if you fly the F-16C and F/A-18 not only are you flying something arguably superior to the Fulcrums and Flankers we have in the first place, you now have a 20-30 year head start too...

Personally developing more Cold War aircraft is absolutely a step in the right direction, and I love the fact that all of Heatblur's aircraft fit each other perfectly.

Also seeing as the most fleshed out era is WWII and from WWII onwards, as said before, DCS is kinda an inconsistent mess when it comes to eras and the assets that fit them, with the vast majority of assets being late 60s - start of the 90s, but the only modules here are the F-5E-3 and the MiG-21bis. The F-14A (particularly the even earlier one) is definitely a step in the right direction.

Edited by Northstar98
formatting
  • Like 2

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Like Northstar pointed out, it's the longest serving variant. It's also the only Tomcat in service with a foreign air force, and at the end of the Tomcat's US service still made up a significant percentage of the fleet. Every squadron that ever flew the F-14 flew the A first, and some of them that's all they ever had. Pretty much any scenario taking place before 1988 the F-14A is the only one available, and after that year it was still the most common until the mid 1990s. By comparison, the F-14B served only 9 (and at a maximum 6 at once) fleet squadrons and the F-14D only served 4 (max 3 at once) versus the F-14A's 28 fleet squadrons, including by 1987 ALL at once.

• Like 1

DCSF-14AOK3A.jpg

DCSF14AOK3B.png

But why is there a FW190D9 in the game when we have the F15?

Not everyone wants to play the most modern aircraft or airquake. Try out the different era servers, they can be fun and help you to improve as a pilot in other ways.

• Like 4

Ryzen 5800x@5Ghz | 96gb DDR4 3200Mhz | Asus Rx6800xt TUF OC | 500Gb OS SSD + 1TB Gaming SSD | Asus VG27AQ | Trackhat clip | VPC WarBRD base | Thrustmaster stick and throttle (Deltasim minijoystick mod).

F14 | F16 | AJS37 | F5 | Av8b | FC3 | Mig21 | FW190D9 | Huey

Been playing DCS from Flanker 2.0 to present 😄

I've got more PVP kills in the A than the B so far...

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I've got more PVP kills in the A than the B so far...

Are the F-14's allowed in MP? I thought they got banned because of the last patch issues with the AIM-54.

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

Are the F-14's allowed in MP? I thought they got banned because of the last patch issues with the AIM-54.

On 80's servers they only have Fox1's.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Guns only bro!

Aaah, good to know. Thanks lads! :thumbup:

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

Hands down my favourite servers. Though eventually, it would be nice if they allowed maybe a max of two AIM-54As (don't know if thats possible?) and limit the F-14A to AIM-9L's and AIM-7F's for balance but also still giving the Tomcat its premier weapon.

But why is there a FW190D9 in the game when we have the F15?

Not everyone wants to play the most modern aircraft or airquake. Try out the different era servers, they can be fun and help you to improve as a pilot in other ways.

I swear these threads pop up every week... it would be really good if people did a search first before posting this exact same question.

To add to your point, Sideburns, it really is about time frame, historical significance, etc. Everyone seems to understand that something like the F8F or Spitfire Mk. 22 do not belong in a WW2 server because they saw no real action during that conflict despite actually entering service before its end. No questions asked.

What seems to be forgotten is it's the exact same thing with the F-14A and F-14B during conflicts like the Iran-Iraq War. The F-14B did not score a single aerial victory and produced no aces; it saw no combat until Desert Storm AFAIK.

• Like 2

Yep the ONLY fight the tomcat can win ;P

A well driven F-14 with a human RIO dominates PvP; even more if you get to fly in a two-ship

(of course not now, after the 4th of november with last 2 patches ED made our Tomcats almost useless)

666GIAP_Chimanov - My Tomcat tribute video, type on youtube browser=> "DCS F-14 Tomcat Symphony"

Anything is better than having to look Kelly McGillis full in the face at any age. I'd rather walk for an hour around my neighbor's horse farm and kiss whatever I found on the bottom of my boot.:megalol:

Yeah, she never did anything for me either.

Can't pretend fly as well as you can.

A well driven F-14 with a human RIO dominates PvP; even more if you get to fly in a two-ship

(of course not now, after the 4th of november with last 2 patches ED made our Tomcats almost useless)

I'd argue, its not broken, but overall more close to reality. You just got used to an unrealistic setup IMO.

That's a lot of If's for Most Multiplayer.

Well, i replied to the "guns fight is the only one a tomcat can win" comment. Not a lot of "if" really, the problem is you see many guys flying only with jester, and getting into low level furballs wich is a mistake. When the F-14 it's flown as it should be flown, it's very difficult to defeat.

I'd argue, its not broken, but overall more close to reality. You just got used to an unrealistic setup IMO.

I disagree completely, but please elaborate a bit in how "we got used to an unreallistic setup and now it's fine overall" and i might change my mind.

• Like 1

666GIAP_Chimanov - My Tomcat tribute video, type on youtube browser=> "DCS F-14 Tomcat Symphony"