Patch Nov 18th - F-14A release - Feedback Thread

IronMike

Dear all, as our latest changelog has been very extensive, we'd like to offer a feedback thread for the current patch.

A couple known issues to list:

- The F-14s RWR does not show a missile warning if another F-14 fires a phoenix in PDSTT at it.

- Aim-7s are currently bugged, they worked during testing, but have some issues, see respective thread in the bug section.

- It is possible/likely that you have to rebind your keys for A and B.

- Certain mods might cause a CTD with the A. One report seemed to included the Superhornet mod. Unfortunately this is something modders need to fix on their side, of course we are investigating anything on our side.

-VSN Mods seem to cause the old AI F14 to show instead of our module, until it gets updated we recommend to uninstall them.

- If you report CTDs, please make sure that either a) you have no mods installed or b) you list installed mods and verify that after removing the mods the CTD does not happen anymore. The latter will help define which mods might cause a CTD.

Note: after removing mods, orphaned files can be left in DCS folders and continue to cause problems. Make sure to remove any such files manually. Additionally it is advised to run DCS repair after removing the mods.

We hope you enjoy the F-14A and we're eager to hear your feedback. Thank you!

Here is the changelog again:

DCS F-14A/B by Heatblur Simulations

• NEW Added F-14A Model Tomcat (F-14A-135GR, Late USN, ALR-67 Equipped Variant). New Systems and Changes include:
    • TF30 engine model, including:
      • Mid Compression Bypass Circuit
      • Mach Lever
      • Expanded compressor stall model
      • Hydromechanical fuel control
      • New thrust model
      • New engine spool dynamics
      • New afterburner model
      • Updated nozzle logic
      • New audio

[*]Reshaped engine nacelles and added new nozzles

[*]New - A specific liveries:

• VF-21 Freelancers 200
      • VF-111 Sundowners (200)
      • VF-154 Black Knights 101
      • VF-211 Fighting Checkmates 105

[*]NEW: Complete external sound overhaul (TF30 & F110). We’ve entirely overhauled the F-14’s exterior soundset, including the following changes:

• New rear aspect exhaust sounds
    • New intake sounds
    • New afterburner sounds
    • New fly-by sounds
    • New engine fan blade rattle sound (slow windmilling speeds)
    • AB Zone lighting thump (internal)
    • Fixed stall warning tone + new audio sample (internal)
    • New compressor stall sounds
    • Tuned engine start and idle sounds
    • Adjusted all sdef files to improve directional sound and audible distance
    • Complete overhaul of audio driver logic on code side
    • Various other common sound fixes:
      • Sounds now load quicker
      • Tomcat is no longer unbearably loud at idle and at distance
      • Reduced total number of sound samples being played in external view

[*]NEW Added simulated yaw string (A and B models) with corresponding wind simulation.

[*]NEW Fire Suppression System + keybinds.

[*]NEW Mid Compression Bypass Circuit Breaker keybind (F-14A only).

[*]NEW Afterburner Gate option + keybind.

[*]NEW Jester Features:

• JOKER callout
    • BINGO fuel callout

[*]Fixed fuel shutoff handles not shutting down engines.

[*]Fixed engine stall/over temperature warning light logic.

[*]Added F-14A versions of Caucasus, PG and Syria Quickstart missions.

[*]Adjusted F-14B fuselage nacelle area for more roundness and visual fidelity.

[*]Adjusted afterburners to not show black streaks.

[*]Engine windmill speed now affected by relative wind direction.

[*]Adjusted F110 AB thrust below mach 0.7.

[*]Fixed crashes caused by visual effects during compressor stalls.

[*]Adjusted engine fire and compressor stall visual effects.

[*]Engine fire and compressor stall effects now synced over the network.

[*]Adjusted pitch damping and pitch with power effects per SME comments.

[*]Adjusted inlet aerodynamic performance per SME comments.

[*]Adjusted subsonic airframe drag per SME comments.

[*]Fixed TF-30 oil overheating.

[*]Misc potential crash fixes in engine code.

[*]Updated F-14B Syria Take-Off Instant Action mission.

[*]Painted air brake pistons white.

[*]Allow AIM-7MH to loft, except when fired in ACM or boresight modes.

[*]Added CVN-75 to the data link capable carriers.

[*]Flood antenna identifies as missile lock instead of STT to targets now, for consistency with other DCS modules.

[*]Enable sparrow flood antenna if STT is lost while sparrow is in flight.

[*]Update RWR threat library version.

[*]Fix RWR symbols for HQ-7.

[*]Fix ARC-159 (pilot radio) keybinds for OFF/MAIN/BOTH/ADF.

[*]Fixed VF-11 Red Rippers (1997)/description.lua to remove problematic Spec Map.

[*]Adjust AIM-54 chaff resistance after latest ED/DCS changes

[*]Add bindable input for pilot hydraulic hand pump.

[*]Use the DCS global gameplay option for hiding control stick.

[*]Fix typo in options dialog (butons-> buttons).

[*]Converted Bone Strike, Colorado River Time Trial, Debridging the River Ingur, Heatblurring the Lines, Kish Kat Attack, Protect the Viksburg, Rioni River Run, Seine River Endurance Run to F-14A compatible versions.

[*]Adjusted AIM-54 countermeasure resistance to revert to old ED System.

[*]Fixed TID STT strobe angle error when not flying level.

[*]Potentially fixed a case where TWS AIM-54 could erroneously track a target not receiving recent radar returns.

[*]Prevent RIO from using Pilot Controls from backseat.

[*]Fixed steering tee not displayed in weapon off mode.

[*]Fixed detached wing not disappearing in LoD1+.

[*]Fixed Pilots not disappearing in static aircraft in LoD1+.

[*]Fixed Pilots not disappearing after ejection in LoD1+.

[*]Shifted pilot stick neutral position slightly aft.

[*]Adjusted flap jamming logic - flap jamming is now more likely to occur.

[*]Added anhedral tilt to horizontal tailplanes.

[*]Fixed left horizontal tailplane being displaced along Z Axis.

[*]Fixed Fire Extinguisher Handles & made accessible to pilot only.

[*]Fixed TWS velocity vector sometimes getting stuck.

[*]Ensure missile loses tracking when switching between PD-STT and TWS post launch.

[*]Fixed AIM-54 RWR indications.

[*]Updated manual to include F-14A late specific sections.

Edited by IronMike
  • Like 1

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Hello,

Well, regarding the F-14A Tomcat - thank you @IronMike, the team and everyone who contributed to its development !

But how can I say this: I've ruined its engines already...

https://forums.eagle.ru/forum/english/licensed-third-party-projects/heatblur-simulations/dcs-f-14a-b/7126047-dcs-f-14-development-update-enter-the-a?p=7143737#post7143737

Jokes aside, it looks outstanding.

The distinctive TF-30 exhaust nozzles do look marvelous, and so far details like the cockpit STALL lights and audio warning do add to the immersion feeling.

Thank you for your effort !

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

No offense but I think this update is more or less pointless. We got something that is nice, the F14A, but not something that is needed. For example, jester is unusable in combat right now. Constantly losing lock, spamming radar buttons, "NO CAN DO". Instead, we got new features for jester, not fixes. Another example would be the phoenix API. In fact, I believe the API has gotten worse recently. The missile just turns away last second before impact. Most players don't have the luxury of having a human rio to rely on, so these jester fixes are extremely important as are the phoenix, since the missile is one of the reasons people get the tomcat and without them you can't really do anything except BFM, in which most players will take something else like an F16. Again, sorry if it sounds like I'm being rude but it's just my thoughts.

• Like 4

these jester fixes are extremely important as are the phoenix, since the missile is one of the reasons people get the tomcat and without them you can't really do anything except BFM, in which most players will take something else like an F16. Again, sorry if it sounds like I'm being rude but it's just my thoughts.

I can very much concur with this, the Jester fixes really need to be looked into, the F-14 module essentially REQUIRES a Human RIO now, but alot of us don't have Human RIO's, so we rely on Jester VERY heavily.

• Like 3

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I wish those Jester problems could be fixed soon. And those afterburner effects really need work. Those B model effects are quite poor with orange tone and they really don't quite work especially with the A model's TF-30s. Need more brighter colors and shock diamonds.

Nevertheless, Tomcat is always the king so thank you for this.

Hey,

Thanks for the awsome work.

Are there more liveries for the late A to come in future (officially by HB, not the Skin-Contest), or does it stay with this four?

Aren't there more liveries for the late A in real life?

Are those ones here early or late A's?

vf211-1.PNG.49b2e544dac3971be5cabc9eb3c9b3bc.PNG

vf211.PNG.c065299056a5ed92659cb7609e3e8588.PNG

vf84.PNG.dc2e64028e3681932d5d231d02761881.PNG

vf21.PNG.612cff66c0d8f965777549e62e9f5d10.PNG

vf154.PNG.09c029293b1a1be808c6b5b3877de30f.PNG

vf154-2.PNG.91325f0bc994ef6119435fafce8a850e.PNG

And what about the legendary Gypsy 202 from 89? Early or late A?

vf32.PNG.5c939363768c4650951bd67717b69c4d.PNG

vf32-2.PNG.94a01261b26826db476986795eb914c9.PNG

I dont know if those were early or late ones? If you know, please teach me a lesson ;)

If those were early ones and will come with the early A its ok.

So if there are no more other liveries in real-life (also no LowViz ones) then the four we have right now in DCS for A, its ok. My fault

So I am waiting for the early A, the problem is solved and we get those ones along the Tomcatters, "Final Countdown"-Jollys, and so on.

If those ones were late A liveries, and they are missing here, I am a bit frustrated and disappointed.

The "bit" depends on if they were coming in a later patch or if this livery-collection is completed by HB.

Then its up on the community to recreate them in the Skin contest.

Lets see.

Another Point: The Module Icon for the Tomcat for me still says : F-14B.

Will this be changed to "F-14A/B" in a later patch?

I also want to report a bug:

There was an older F-14A (just AI) with very bad graphics. Its still there.

If you place it, in the mission editor, you can choose the liveries for it.

But those liveries seem not to work any more. Every skin you choose for it will be the HB VF-103 LowViz Skin for the B.

Is this a bug? Must be if you ask me.

But this old A could now be removed from the game in a future patch. Its not needed anymore scine our new HB A Tomcat.

Thanks to all, the HB Team and the community.

Stay healthy and fly safe :pilotfly:

Wishlist: (Aircraft)

F/A-18D Hornet | F-14D Tomcat | A-6 Intruder | EA-6 Prowler | E-1B Tracer | E-2B Hawkeye | (Navy) F-4 Phantom | F-104 Starfighter | AH-64 Apache | UH-60/SH-60 | RAH-66 Comanche | Curtiss P-40 | North American T-6 Texan | Mitsubishi A6M | Jak-9

Wishlist: (Map)

Vietnam | Pearl Harbor 1941 | Naval Air Station Pensacola (New Orleans <-> Orlando)

Wishlist: (WWII-Assets-Pack-UPDATE)

USS Arizona | USS Oklahoma | US Aircraft Carrier | Japanese Aircraft Carrier

The 14A also seems to really struggle to break Mach 1.0 in full burner with any combat loadout or fuel tanks, struggles to push much past 1.1 or 1.2 at altitude too with missiles. Is this accurate?

Also the lack of some iconic late-time A Tomcat squadrons like VF-41 and VF-14 as well as the current low-viz liveries being way too white when compared to the low-viz B we have is kinda a bummer. Also all the current 14A liveries use the Jolly Rogers pilot and RIO suits and the default helmet, unlike the B where every livery has unique helmet textures and patches for the crew. Overall good progress but still a lot of polishing and bugfixing to be done before I' even consider the early A or Ali-cat.

No offense but I think this update is more or less pointless. We got something that is nice, the F14A, but not something that is needed. For example, jester is unusable in combat right now. Constantly losing lock, spamming radar buttons, "NO CAN DO". Instead, we got new features for jester, not fixes. Another example would be the phoenix API. In fact, I believe the API has gotten worse recently. The missile just turns away last second before impact. Most players don't have the luxury of having a human rio to rely on, so these jester fixes are extremely important as are the phoenix, since the missile is one of the reasons people get the tomcat and without them you can't really do anything except BFM, in which most players will take something else like an F16. Again, sorry if it sounds like I'm being rude but it's just my thoughts.

You are not being rude at all, in fact you have been invited to share your thoughts and we appreciate that. There is always bad and good, and only by taking both into account we can improve.

I still think a lot of the Jester "issues" come partially from too high expectations, misconceptions about AWG-9 or his abilities etc (in general, not with you in particular I mean), but we are also fully aware fo the more glaring issues and working on them.

Thank you for your input.

• Like 1

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Hey,

Thanks for the awsome work.

Are there more liveries for the late A to come in future (officially by HB, not the Skin-Contest), or does it stay with this four?

Aren't there more liveries for the late A in real life?

Are those ones here early or late A's?

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tvf211-1.PNG Views:\t0 Size:\t562.6 KB ID:\t7144078","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"7144078","data-size":"full","title":"vf211-1.PNG"}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tvf211.PNG Views:\t0 Size:\t258.3 KB ID:\t7144079","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"7144079","data-size":"full","title":"vf211.PNG"}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tvf84.PNG Views:\t0 Size:\t432.9 KB ID:\t7144080","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"7144080","data-size":"full","title":"vf84.PNG"}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tvf21.PNG Views:\t0 Size:\t615.7 KB ID:\t7144081","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"7144081","data-size":"full","title":"vf21.PNG"}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tvf154.PNG Views:\t0 Size:\t666.5 KB ID:\t7144082","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"7144082","data-size":"full","title":"vf154.PNG"}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tvf154-2.PNG Views:\t0 Size:\t582.9 KB ID:\t7144083","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"7144083","data-size":"full","title":"vf154-2.PNG"}[/ATTACH]

And what about the legendary Gypsy 202 from 89? Early or late A?

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tvf32.PNG Views:\t0 Size:\t388.5 KB ID:\t7144084","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"7144084","data-size":"full","title":"vf32.PNG"}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tvf32-2.PNG Views:\t0 Size:\t296.4 KB ID:\t7144085","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"7144085","data-size":"full","title":"vf32-2.PNG"}[/ATTACH]

I dont know if those were early or late ones? If you know, please teach me a lesson ;)

If those were early ones and will come with the early A its ok.

So if there are no more other liveries in real-life (also no LowViz ones) then the four we have right now in DCS for A, its ok. My fault

So I am waiting for the early A, the problem is solved and we get those ones along the Tomcatters, "Final Countdown"-Jollys, and so on.

If those ones were late A liveries, and they are missing here, I am a bit frustrated and disappointed.

The "bit" depends on if they were coming in a later patch or if this livery-collection is completed by HB.

Then its up on the community to recreate them in the Skin contest.

Lets see.

Another Point: The Module Icon for the Tomcat for me still says : F-14B.

Will this be changed to "F-14A/B" in a later patch?

I also want to report a bug:

There was an older F-14A (just AI) with very bad graphics. Its still there.

If you place it, in the mission editor, you can choose the liveries for it.

But those liveries seem not to work any more. Every skin you choose for it will be the HB VF-103 LowViz Skin for the B.

Is this a bug? Must be if you ask me.

But this old A could now be removed from the game in a future patch. Its not needed anymore scine our new HB A Tomcat.

Thanks to all, the HB Team and the community.

Stay healthy and fly safe :pilotfly:

There will be more official liveries added on a rolling basis as they get done. We focused on LR-67 equipped F-14A's for this version and we have some more being worked on.

As the other A's are ready we will add more of those appropriate liveries as well.

This is far from the final amount of liveries that will be available.

• Like 2

Hey guys, I think there are some LANTIRN problems after update - I am unable to use point and area track, slew to waypoints or designate target. I tried rebind keybinds and I tried use old bindings as well. I have this issue in both F-14A and F-14B from RIO seat. Thanks.

Testing sustained turn rate performance and it has dropped noticably in the B for some reason, by quite a lot, so much so that the F-15 now matches the F-14B in STR even between 0.6-0.5 mach, which is crazy. The A also doesn't live up to the charts. Right now I can't even achieve charted values for 5kft at SL.

Something is up... :-/

• Like 1

The 14A also seems to really struggle to break Mach 1.0 in full burner with any combat loadout or fuel tanks, struggles to push much past 1.1 or 1.2 at altitude too with missiles. Is this accurate?

Well mine just was struggling hard as well after dropping a bunch of 83s, otherwise clean airframe. And IIRC it's been reported before at least for the B to get a bit higher speeds after dropping 83s, like being able to go past M 1.0 without burners. First tried from around 28-30k on in a very slight climb, like 1°. Just couldn't push through there, then tried leveling which wasn't much better, followed by a shallow descent somewhere around 3°. That was enough to get her through the "barrier" and once passing around 1.2-1.3ish, the thing actually began to accelerate and kept doing so even in a 5° climb. Just almost ran out of fuel somewhere around 1.6 because I started the whole thing at just 7200 and burned most of that already with before going down to pick up speed. But well, that is the TF-30. Wasn't much different in another sim that has a partial GIUK map. Going into a shallow dive or trying to push past 1.2 at lower altitude already is the key.

Overall I had the impression the A is more fuel efficient which already shows on the ground. It begins to taxi at noticably less FF than the B. As a side note, I did NOT get a bingo or even joker callout from Jester.

Also liking the new sounds here BTW.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Can we get an ETA on the untextured sidewinder rails being finished? They're a huge eyesore for me.

Yep, been reported since day one of release, along with various other "lapses" which are easy to fix like the untextured TCS and mis-aligned bump-map on the engine necelle which is still present on the A. One day I gues.

• Like 1

There will be more official liveries added on a rolling basis as they get done. We focused on LR-67 equipped F-14A's for this version and we have some more being worked on.

As the other A's are ready we will add more of those appropriate liveries as well.

This is far from the final amount of liveries that will be available.

Please also adjust the current VF-154 and 211 ones as they are waay too bright/white for a late era low-viz 14A. Especially the underside.

Hey Folks,

Is everyone still noticing that the background noise when the Jester menu is activated ("A" key) is still extremely loud? It was happening to me in the B model as well. I have turned down ICS volume.

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

W10 Home 64Bit, Intel Skylake I5 6600K 3.50GHz, ASUS ROG Stryx Z270F MoBo, 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD (OS), Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD, 2TB Seagate SDHD, 2TB WD Green HDD, GALAX GTX GeForce 1070 EXOC Sniper White 8GB VRAM

Flew the A-variant for the first time. Looks great, sounds great, feels great!

Those TF-30s have some big-time giddy-up!!! I feel like I'm flying *THE* Tomcat now, the way "Maverick" and all the 1980s Topgunners got to fly it!

Thanks for all you do, HeatBlur, and for making my dreams come true!

• Like 1

Having a great time with A. It definitely has its own flight characteristics which in my view gives us two aircraft for the price of one. Great job! For some reason it’s satisfying to catapult full AB. IDK

However, I’m just a bit disappointed with the B missing the appropriate engine gauges. Is there a time frame for that to be added?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

@IronMike Hey there. I posted in the bugs sub forum, but please allow me to provide some feedback here also.

Im a staunch advocate for HB and believe the F-14 to be the best simulation of any aircraft on PC in history (I've been around since the beginning of the hobby).

We all waited patiently for the "A" with lots of anticipated fixes as well. Lots of fixes didn't eventuate.

Some of these have been mentioned (ie Jester).

For me - its the damn airspeed bugs. They dont work as intended.

I feel the release is very under-cooked for HBs standards:

After teasing the ALR-45 RWR, we get a placeholder -135 with ALR-67.

There was one short teaser trailer - which teased liveries that we dont have access to.

The liveries we DO have have issues (reported whiteness, generic flight suits/helmets)

The initial release was far more impressive and complete

There is no CV-59, and no news of it.

Campaigns and other promised content?

Things that excited me before the initial release, like the promise of "Dynamic Cockpits" are merely "wish list" items at this point.

Please dont write me of as a "karen"...you asked for feedback here, and im giving you my considered, honest report.

IMHO, as a single player only type that is most imperative is a fixed and greatly expanded JESTER.

He should be giving speed/energy/hard deck info during ACM (as well as ACCURATE and timely threat indications)

He should be doing other things too - like READING the checklists, telling the pilot when wings are moving in the break etc..

All these things should be pretty straight forward, as someone mentioned here earlier - you pretty much need a human RIO now.

I had hoped today would be one of celebration and joy with the F-14A, the ONE. In stead I feel flat and underwhelmed.

I hope none of this sounds like im angry

Thank you for listening

Dave

TL:DR. Unhappy. Need:

1. expanded, competent JESTER who does everything mentioned above

2. please fix the airspeed indicator bug bug. With a cherry on top.

3. Forrestal

tomorrow.

• Like 1

Haven't had too much time to test so far, but from an initial couple of flights, on the plus side we have:

• The A - "probably the worst engine/airframe mismatch we have had in years"

On the minus side:

• Flaps broken again
  • Low speed turn rate reduced - so BFM nerfed
  • Still have serious Jester issues - one of the most obvious being, Jester switching from TWS to RWS after 54 launch and losing tracks resulting in 54 going stupid
  • 54 RWR still broken, so 54s banned in my squadron
  • 54 terminal homing issues still causing very odd last minute misses - I know its probably EDs fault, but as a customer I just want it fixed
  • The worst flame effects in game

Good job you've had an extra 2 weeks to fix stuff, because I dread to think what state it was in! Sorry guys, the feedback back is a serious negative :(