F-14 FPS

Hornet_Driver

Here is my comparison. The "beffyness" of the system should not play a large role because it's a comparison.

F14B - 120 fps

F18C - 150 fps

F16C - 180 fps

Empty mission, starting on ramp hot, default view. Mission attached. Mission contains only 1 aircraft for comparison reasons. Swap it out in the mission editor.

fpsCompare.miz

Here is my comparison. The "beffyness" of the system should not play a large role because it's a comparison.

F14B - 120 fps

F18C - 150 fps

F16C - 180 fps

Empty mission, starting on ramp hot, default view. Mission attached. Mission contains only 1 aircraft for comparison reasons. Swap it out in the mission editor.

Thanks a lot!

• 2 months later...

Hey guys - I'm using the current free period to test out a lot of the planes.  I had my eye on the F-14, and I am glad I have been able to test it as the performance is pretty poor.  Here's my numbers:

CPU: i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz

GPU: Nvidia 2070 running at stock 

32GB RAM

Hardware-Accelerated GPU Scheduling TURNED ON

*See below for my in-game settings.

I ran the test mission that someone posted above:

F-16 - FPS ~79 (varied between 72 and 88 when in TrackIR)

F/A-18 - FPS ~74 (varied between 73-83 when in TrackIR)

F-14B - FPS - ~68 (varied between 63-69 when in TrackIR)

One might think that the above F-14 FPS rates are pretty good, and they are when you are just sitting on the ground.  Unfortunately this mission is not a good indicator of performance.  You need to get the plane up in the air fully understand my hit on FPS.

The problem i am having is that I am getting very noticeable and frankly unplayable FPS numbers when I am flying the F-14.  When i am flying strait and level and looking forward I am getting a decent 60+ FPS.  The problem is when I start to turn the plane or my head using TrackIR.  The FPS will often just bottom out dipping to 13 FPS or lower sometimes.  I am not seeing this behavior is any other plane - only with the F-14, so I am fairly certain my base settings aren't too far off the mark.  I do find it odd that there aren't more comments like mine as I have a fairly basic PC setup.  Possibly some F-14 configuration somewhere affecting this, but I am at a loss.

Eric Marlow

aka "Snacko"

Screen_201228_112559.png

Edited by KulleAeyd

On 12/28/2020 at 6:19 PM, KulleAeyd said:

I am glad I have been able to test it as the performance is pretty poor.

I would start by turning down the clutter/trees and preload radius, at least only halfway along.  Even though my PC specs are very similar to yours, I only use VR so mine are down lower, but it will still help.  I turn my cockpit resolution displays down to 512 as well, along with lower shadows and civ traffic too.  Do you really need DoF on too?

The F-14 module is an AMAZING module.  Yes it can be taxing on the system but it is WELL worth it. 

Best wishes.

i9-9900KF @ 3.6ghz ; 32gb RAM @ 3600mhz; Gigabyte RTX 2080 8gb ; TMWarthog ; TM rudder ; HTC Vive

Hey BA - thanks for the reply.  While I'll try anything, I'm not sure this will work.  1) this is the same setup that MW used in his video explaining the F/A-18 video options/control set up and my rig is fairly similar, 2) I've been using that setup for all my other planes and it works just fine, and 3) if those two items where at fault, i would be getting generally lower FPS across the board, not only when i start to turn.  Note: this happens in the F-14 no matter what map i am using - even when i am out to sea or on Nevada with nothing near at all any my other plane's FPS is running 100+.  It's an odd issue for sure, and since there are aren't a lot of people complaining here I'll have to assume there are some things underlying and undiscovered.

Just switched to an M.2 for my DCS directory.  Hope this helps.

i really do want to purchase the F-14, but until I can explain what is going on I think i'm going to have to leave it in the oven.

Snacko

Addendum to my above message - it seems now that the F-14 is silky smooth on the Nevada map.  No changes to my settings, only a new DCS M.2 installation drive.  I'll try the others maps just to be sure.  In a way though, if the drive was the issue, it would be a shame for those who still have mechanical HDDs.  I still can't imagine that my setup was too different from the norm these days.  Anyway, it's a big relief to know that was money well spent.

Edited by KulleAeyd

I'm glad you found out the issue. I had all sorts of problems when running it from my archaic hard drive - stuttering, pauses etc. 

Since I got an SSD for Christmas, I reinstalled DCS on that and it has improved things immensely. 

My system is far inferior to yours, (i5-3570K, GTX 1060 6GB, 16GB RAM) yet I'm getting screen tearing whilst panning around the cockpit, indicating FPS higher than my refresh rate of 60hz. 

I'm actually super impressed with how beautiful it runs (on Free Flight) anyway. 

I'm assuming it will run like faeces once I have a tonne of AI and stuff in a proper mission, right?

i5-12400F, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX, MSI RTX4060 8GB, 1TB Corsair Pro NVME.

Finally, I can run DCS!!!