DCS F-14B Sound Overhaul

BreaKKer

^^

I'm pretty sure the above was taken from this video of the 2003 Nellis air show. Sound quality wise I think this is a really good benchmark of my expectations for ultimate F-14B sound. I know the challenge here is DCS and how it handles sound, having to synthesize or digitally recreate some of it etc. All kinds of things like distance and angle of the plane are going to translate into time delay of the sound and doppler effect and stuff like that.

But really, this video has so much more bass and depth to it. I'd really like to see the sound for the A and B have more *oomph* and base to them.

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

Hey Guys from HB.

Thank you for your amazing job on the Cat! To pay homage to you, I had a vr pc built just for your Cat :smilewink:!!!!

Can i ask you a question? The Sound Overhaul is very impressiv!!! The question I have is, do the engines sound the same regardless of whether the canopy is open or closed irl? Cause now, i think there is no difference isn´t it?

thx for all HB :pilotfly:

So I love the new sounds, however I do have a small question: Why do the intake sounds persist when the aircraft is passing? In the video of the flyby sounds, you can still hear the intake whine after the intakes have passed, when in reality you'd only really have the rumble of the exhaust/afterburner. Is this something that will be looked at?

• 2 weeks later...

Not here either. The flyby sounds are lagging and clipping left and right. But I think the startup and externals are fine. They said there was a new AB sound, but it seems very familiar (i.e the old one) as it has a very distinct signature. Not saying this to be a nay-sayer either. I think the F-14 is a superb module and it is my main airframe, but the sound logic has problems and the quality of the flyby's are not up to par with the Hornet and Viper.

I think the F-14 is a superb module and it is my main airframe, but the sound logic has problems and the quality of the flyby's are not up to par with the Hornet and Viper.

I'll agree. Viper and Hornet are far better with sound details. That engine whine should not be heard from behind that loud. Need more rumble and roar.

There are a few sound issues that we will try to address that we just ran out of time for. Consider this version of the overhaul v1.0. Some things are just limitations of the sound engine or a lack of good audio samples to achieve what we'd like.

Systems Engineer & FM Modeler

Heatblur Simulations

It seems like the pitch and volume are too low. Looking at the SDEFs the pitch for the intake close sounds was down at like .47? The sound samples themselves were pretty good but it seems like the pitch is being made too low and they are too quiet. My ears should be bleeding in external view right in front of the jet!

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

One thing is the sound samples themselves, of which I think most are fine. Agreed that the intake whine could be louder in front on the ground. The biggest problem is the lag (Sound not loading in for half a second at times when switching to flyby view), overlapping sounds that does not blend (clip) and the volume mix. It does not create the 'thunder' as it passes you, but sounds more like a vacume cleaner. The fact that you hear the whine after the flyby is also way off. But like they have commented here- it seems they are aware of it. I just think is should not be consired done at all in it's current shape. I am no coder, but there are other modules which handles this extremely convincinly, so I guess it is a matter of cracking the formulae. I trust they will deliver in time.

• Like 1

Best sound design EVER made for a DCS module so far imho!

It is not only the samples but the sounders logic what really counts, and this new overhaul seems to have a lot of work in that regard so very happy for this. There are some issues like few sound "gaps" in the fly by's and the lack of a more deep roar in the lateral and back fields as well as a more powerful afterburner but thats just samples stuff...very impressed with the HB's work once again!, keep it up guys!:)

Take a look at my MODS here

One thing is the sound samples themselves, of which I think most are fine. Agreed that the intake whine could be louder in front on the ground. The biggest problem is the lag (Sound not loading in for half a second at times when switching to flyby view), overlapping sounds that does not blend (clip) and the volume mix. It does not create the 'thunder' as it passes you, but sounds more like a vacume cleaner. The fact that you hear the whine after the flyby is also way off. But like they have commented here- it seems they are aware of it. I just think is should not be consired done at all in it's current shape. I am no coder, but there are other modules which handles this extremely convincinly, so I guess it is a matter of cracking the formulae. I trust they will deliver in time.

We welcome any users' improvements to the sound (sdef changes or better samples!). If you have something that you think is an improvement, send me a video example along with the sdef and/or audio sample and we will evaluate. The sound delay problem is tough to solve, we're not sure what causes it. Same with the phasing sound from the intakes. Directional sound is done entirely in the sdef file, and the only aspects that can be changed real-time in the code are gain, pitch, and radius. The mixing and blend of all sounds together in a good way is the most difficult part. I'm looking for ways to reduce intake whine in flybys while keeping it audible in F2 view. Unfortunately there's no way to know if the camera is in F3/Flyby mode, which would help a ton (sound engine limitations mentioned above). Many of these issues are not as simple to solve as they may seem, everything is a tradeoff (as with most things).

I've put in a few sound engine change requests in to ED that would make solving many of these problems easier, will see what they have to say.

sdefexample.txt

Edited by fat creason
  • Like 1

Systems Engineer & FM Modeler

Heatblur Simulations

Yeah I would love to, but sadly I am just a lowly peon with no relevant skills except pointing out what I'd like to see changed:D Glad to see that you guys are responding and taking these things seriously though. It keeps me coming back to my favourite module again and again for sure. Regarding sound engine and limitations, I guess it would be stating the obvious, but ED has come a looong way with their sound design the last year and maybe they have some tricks up their sleeve to share? Either way, I fully respect the difficulty in solving this, but I also hope you keep digging until you nail it down:)

We welcome any users' improvements to the sound (sdef changes or better samples!). If you have something that you think is an improvement, send me a video example along with the sdef and/or audio sample and we will evaluate. The sound delay problem is tough to solve, we're not sure what causes it. Same with the phasing sound from the intakes. Directional sound is done entirely in the sdef file, and the only aspects that can be changed real-time in the code are gain, pitch, and radius. The mixing and blend of all sounds together in a good way is the most difficult part. I'm looking for ways to reduce intake whine in flybys while keeping it audible in F2 view. Unfortunately there's no way to know if the camera is in F3/Flyby mode, which would help a ton (sound engine limitations mentioned above). Many of these issues are not as simple to solve as they may seem, everything is a tradeoff (as with most things).

I've put in a few sound engine change requests in to ED that would make solving many of these problems easier, will see what they have to say.

I do believe this is my time to shine

BreaKKer

CAG and Commanding Officer of:

Carrier Air Wing Five //  VF-154 Black Knights