Refuelling Probe light?!

Elphaba

http://www.heatblur.se/F-14Manual/general.html#external-lighting

The refueling probe light is used to illuminate the refueling probe and is automatically enabled with probe extension.

All external light controls are located on the Master Light Control Panel except for the exterior lights switch on the left throttle (see Throttle) which disables or enables all external lights apart from the approach lights.

Haven't tested lately but it might be less bright than you expect.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Sorry guys, I think I forgot to put down a tracker for it, I did now. We'll see if we cant fine tune it soon. Apologies for forgetting about it.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

• 1 month later...
I don't have the cat so I can't compare.

Check this RW vid:

Start at 3:10

I just started learning the F-14. I was going to come here and report the probe light problems, but it seems that the probe light is pretty dim in real life based on that video.

That being said, I'm seeing zero illumination in the sim. I can see the light turning on in the external model, but no light actually illuminating the environment. Seems to be the exact same bug that plagued the F-18 for so long and was only recently fixed.

• 1 year later...

Refueling at night without using the nvg's is damn near impossible with that refueling light. it is crazy dim and not pointed in a very useful direction. That said, I would suspect it to be a poor design choice on the tomcat engineers rather than on heatblur. 
Here are some views of it:
f14 probe normal.pngf14 probe enhanced.pngScreen_220202_125424.pngScreen_220202_125446.pngf14 night refueling front enhanced.png

• Like 1

It's there, but I noticed that it, like most lights in DCS, illuminates things at a far shorter range than they should. Aside from the alignment issue, I'm pretty sure that the real thing can actually illuminate a good part of the whole tanker at precontact. You shouldn't expect too much from a dinky red night vision light, but I don't think it should be completely useless, either.

Between talking to a couple of RIOs and reading some NATO AAR docs, the probe light isn't intended to be like a headlight on a car. The tanker itself has lighting (with the layout depending on the AC), and the probe light generally helped out to about ~20 feet from what I was told. Ambient light and lighting from the tanker obviously would +/- that, but it sounded like the visibility is somewhere in-between where it is now (practically in the basket) and what some folks want to see (totally illuminating out to precontact).

So, aircraft like the S-3 and future KA-6, it's going to remain a challenge, but the probe light should help some there since you have to be in pretty close anyways tanking off of those jets. With KC-10s, British Tristars, KC-135s, and I believe KC-130s, some had illumination actually in the basket, while others had ambient lighting and spotlights underneath the aircraft to provide illumination of the basket and hose between the tanker and tankee.

I don't know if we currently have it but depending on dates, some tanking baskets should have illumination, either illuminated strips like formation lights, or actual lights behind the basket that would make it "glow" a little.

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

• 11 months later...
On 9/23/2020 at 7:19 PM, IronMike said:

Sorry guys, I think I forgot to put down a tracker for it, I did now. We'll see if we cant fine tune it soon. Apologies for forgetting about it.

Any progress there behind the doors? We started flying Tomcat in 2023 with this issue still unresolved. Still unable to refuel at pitch black night because of poor refuel light.

When I do night refueling with my squadron, we generally turn the gamma up to compensate for the current state of lighting. 

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

• 1 year later...