Tomcat FAQ - pls give us your input

IronMike

Dear all,

I'd like to create a Tomcat FAQ, and of course I have a list of stuff I will add, but I would also like to know what you guys would like to see covered in it. I will then make a selection of your proposals to give it a reasonable length.

If you would like to see something covered in this FAQ, then please leave a comment here and I will take it under consideration. (Please understand that if there will be too many suggestions, I will have to narrow the selection and your suggestion might not be included. It is appreciated nonetheless.) Thanks a lot in advance!

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

the current state of missile api would be nice because it feels like it changes often

rgr. (it didnt change though at all since ages, the new API still doesnt work.)

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

Things we see a lot:

1.) What eras are represented in the B and upcoming A model, ex: "The B represents a B model of the mid-late 1990s, prior to GPS integration and the B UPGRADE which included RIO MFD and JDAMS".

- Under that, a quick A vs B capability comparison, like armament, power/handling, cockpit,

RWR, etc.

2.) What Jester will be able to do, and/or won't be able to do. Options you plan to add on his interactions, like chatty cathy vs pertinent only, aka the really boring people that are too cool for his jokes apparently.

3.) Status of some intended (or at least soft "we'd like that") features such as:

- Custom cockpit skins, for those wanting fresh cockpits or VR optimized ones.

- Dynamic MODEX (ED keeps changing them on the Hornet and Viper, but curious what the

thoughts are to represent at least a few common "line" bird locations and fonts.

- TARPS pod : What you'd like it to do, what it definitely won't be doing.

- Wing glove vanes : Blurb of why they will not be modeled, rather modeled as bolted shut as

later on was common.

- Option to remove fuel tank pylon and run slick, maybe even with AIM-9 wing glove pylons.

4.) And a big fat one: Why you guys aren't doing the D model, what documentation is missing, what's still under wraps, etc. We see them every other thread, every other week.

5.) How the Iranian Cats will be configured, visual model difference plus weapons and any avionics changes.

6.) Post A-Model release, where will resources be directed aside from obvious bug fixing? Forrestal then A-6 AI, A-6 AI then Forrestal after? TARPS? Sound?

7.) Status of Supercarrier compatibility.

- Does ICLS show the right glideslope in HUD

- Does Airboss and meatball show right glideslope, right AOA, etc.

- Any planned SC specific extras or integration

8.) As big stuff gets knocked down, can we make some requests depending on availability of modeler and texture guy resources?

- Worth asking, could you guys manage to just do the proper TCS-less setup with just the little

bump? I mentioned elsewhere but custom arguments in models allow for swapping parts

around, if the TCS could be done that way you could have one model for the A and just have

all 3 modeled, using an argument to swap between TCS, bullet fairing, and then just the nub.

- If you DID do this, adding the D model TCS/IRST housing would at least allow for a usable D

model AI aircraft. Food for thought.

- Throw in HGU-68 helmets in addition to planned HGU-55

- Optional removed IFR probe covers. Commonly seen here and there through the time period

being represented, and also on the Iranian A models. As mentioned again, maybe as a

custom argument in the skin LUA files?

- Fixing the extra NACA duct on right engine nacelle that I wasn't able to find present on any

Tomcat models, A, B, or D. I assume that the left side of the plane was referenced and then it

was mirrored over.

One last one, for the Viggen guys because I feel for them: What's going on with the AI Drakken they were supposedly getting? I don't own the module but can certainly see why the Viggen guys might be upset.

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

exact years of F-14A/B modeled in game?-A is set in late 80s?what about -B?hard to search in your post..I remember you said it, sorry.

dose F-14A will got TARPS,LANTIRN,ECA,ALQ-167 same as -B?

thanks

Edited by Alphabet_Ghost

I7-4790K | RTX2070 | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | 24G DDR3 | 東芝 TOSHIBA HG5d M.2 256GB SSD | Q200 EX

Hey Mike!

many things have been already mentioned.

I am always curious about which emergeny procedures can be flown, and which not. Status of circuit brakers, which one work, which one not.

You may refer to the NAVAIR, there the emergency section (which I read a lot) is a few pages long ... (p480 - p566) :D

This is where the fun starts for me :)

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

Some comparison for how the Phoenix behaves in game vs how it behaved IRL/should behave in game would be good. A more in-depth discussion of the general "magic INS" (whatever that means) thing that people keep bringing up should also be included. I will add to this post if I think of more.

Edited by TLTeo

+1 on phoenix. more info on how exactly they work in terms of optimal parameters, recommended ranges to fire depending on aspect, speed etc. and most important, reliable information when they go pitbull would be the most important info for me. we do a lot of tests internally and have a good grasp on how to deploy them, but Im not sure we do it 100% correctly

EDIT and using this post to say to all of HB thanks again for creating the most awesome module out there, by far, and making my childhood dream (almost) a reality ! :D

second EDIT (think..push.. speak..)

also I think info on how to use countermeasures with Jester is a bit lacking. when flying without a human RIO, can I rely on Jester chaffing (without depleting everyinging in seconds), what does the Jammer do, is it even implemented, whats the recommended CM program, and how to use that F10/Ground Crew countermeasure radio command (that you never get a confirmation after you used it) vs the in game rearming refuelling window, I still dont know how to set countermeasures correctly in the tomcat

Edited by EntropySG

Will there be a possible option to have the glove vanes deploy as a cosmetic part when exceeding mach 1 on the -A model?

While it would be nice to see, given HB attention to realism I would not expect them to activate the vanes unless they wanted to actually model the effects.

You know what's funny, is I'm pretty sure I put all of those things in my post because these are the FAQs. And just like the repeat threads that are the reason to create a FAQ, folks skipped right past it and wrote the same things instead of checking to see if anyone already listed it.

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

You know what's funny, is I'm pretty sure I put all of those things in my post because these are the FAQs. And just like the repeat threads that are the reason to create a FAQ, folks skipped right past it and wrote the same things instead of checking to see if anyone already listed it.

Now instead of answering the same things over and over again we'll give'em the link to FAQ :thumbup:

@Entropy: you need manual, not FAQ.

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Content. Not just buyable. I feel we deserve a free campaign or so, and lets not forget cage the bear is and was a user made campaign.

Dont let your jester AI which is revolutionary go to waste - listen to the voices. Make the A6 playable after F14 is done!

Then work on the F4 phantom II

Also, a Su24 would be VERY interesting, and old enough you *may * be able to find dox on it...

I could think of much more, but you guys are much smarter than I on this

Talking about Forrestal and assuming is opened to discussion aswell,is there any chance to emulate ED SuperCarrier in a future ? I mean develop a Pri Fly station, maybe a Command bridge or being able to observe from the Vulture Row ?

Thanks

Talking about Forrestal and assuming is opened to discussion aswell,is there any chance to emulate ED SuperCarrier in a future ? I mean develop a Pri Fly station, maybe a Command bridge or being able to observe from the Vulture Row ?

Thanks

These are questions, which will not depend solely on us. A solution I could see - no promise for now - is that in the future we make a second version of it with SC features that could get included with the SC package. But these are all things we cannot decide or answer without talking to ED first. Before that we need to finish it, and then see where we can take it from there. For the time being please only expect the normal Stennis features. As for different viewstations, we will look into that, but again, no promise for now. My apologies.

Heatblur Simulations

I strongly seem to recall just skins and its an A+ so its a bit better than what Iran had anyway

I hope not, IRAN -A has minor but important differences such as: no chin pod, Mk.47 only Phoenix, AIM-7E-4 only, different pilot model, maybe some russian missiles, I think AIM-9E as well, no refuel probe cover ( :) ) and other...

Than slam a VF-1/VF-2 skin into it and you have a super early Tomcat for the Operation Frequent Wind :smilewink:

I strongly seem to recall just skins and its an A+ so its a bit better than what Iran had anyway

The A+ is not an A. Period, the end. It's an old designation for the F-14B. The F-14A was, is, and always will mean the TF-30 equipped Tomcat. The US Navy F-14A we are getting is a contemporary of the F-14B we've already got, upgraded with TCS, LANTIRN, and a similar ECM suite to the F-14B. But you are correct, the Iranian F-14 will basically be just the F-14A with textures and unable to equip the TCS.

DCSF-14AOK3A.jpg

DCSF14AOK3B.png

Than slam a VF-1/VF-2 skin into it and you have a super early Tomcat for the Operation Frequent Wind :smilewink:

Not quite. VF-1 and VF-2's -70GRs lacked the nose probe, had different gun gas vents, and a completely different aft fuselage from the -80GR and beyond, including the -90GR that was delivered to Iran. We're still quite a few details away from a first cruise Tomcat. Shame, too, but if they were only going to give us one version of the F-14A, I think they picked the correct one.

DCSF-14AOK3A.jpg

DCSF14AOK3B.png