Viggen mil power or afterbunner for ingress

CrazyGman

So just been learning the Viggen after having it on the backburner for 2 years, and been liking it quite a bit, however I noticed that loaded up it's fairly slow at full Mil power, slower then the MiG 21 at Mil power. I assume that is because of the relatively high bypass turbofan engine, and the fact that the plane is realtively heavy in general.

That being said and i understand that this is situational when flying to target is the standard to be operating just in mil power, or is it proper to be in stage 1 or 2 afterburner, if so generally how close to target before engaging burner?

Typically you release weapons at Mach 0.8 - 0.9, so for most weapon configurations you definitely want stage 1 or 2. I usually just try to hit that Mach at my IP. The main thing with mil power is less that you aren't very fast, and more that it takes forever to hit that speed though, particularly with a draggy loadout.

Page 173 gives a table of economical airspeeds. The one I remember is M0.55 (Sea Level).

I think the rest of your questions come down to pilot decision and mission specific needs/threats. I wouldn't think of the attack as "I must go into X zone burner at Y distance/TTG" but more as a tool available to achieve the mission goal.

Somebody else probably has more detailed info.

Interesting, I didn't realize the MiG-21 is faster in MIL at S.L. but just ran a test and yes it is.

Page 173 gives a table of economical airspeeds. The one I remember is M0.55 (Sea Level).

I think the rest of your questions come down to pilot decision and mission specific needs/threats. I wouldn't think of the attack as "I must go into X zone burner at Y distance/TTG" but more as a tool available to achieve the mission goal.

Somebody else probably has more detailed info.

Interesting, I didn't realize the MiG-21 is faster in MIL at S.L. but just ran a test and yes it is.

Thanks. Yeah I usually fly the MiG 21 and so I was noticing that it was taking a bit longer in the Viggen. Then looked at the speed and it was 0.68 mach (with fuel and a full load of rockets) and I was like geez I can still get to around 0.75-0.8 in the MiG 21 at Mil power with rockets (i know they are smaller). Obviously it changes when burner is engage espesially since the Viggen won't flame out at 1300kph IAS at ground level