PL-5 question

MobiSev

Is the PL-5 a radar assisted IR missile? I'm asking bc I have gotten tone on targets that I have locked up that should 've been way outside IR parameters (10nm head on for example).

Modules owned:

FC3, M-2000C, Mig-21bis, F-5E, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, F-14A&B, JF-17

Is the PL-5 a radar assisted IR missile? I'm asking bc I have gotten tone on targets that I have locked up that should 've been way outside IR parameters (10nm head on for example).

You have to use T2_Press and the missile will start moving over the enemy that you have locked.

You have to use T2_Press and the missile will start moving over the enemy that you have locked.

Yeah, I know that. You misunderstand. The seeker is already doing what you are saying on the HUD, but I was getting a firing solution tone way before I am used to (The target is a little more than 10nm from me head on aspect). This gives the impression that the radar is helping guide the missile a little before it actually detects the IR signature (kind of like with TWS, but with IR). That's my question.

I'm sure this is not the case but I wanted to confirm here. Is there any such function on the PL-5 or is the PL-5 just picking up an IR signature from really far away?

Edited by MobiSev

Modules owned:

FC3, M-2000C, Mig-21bis, F-5E, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, F-14A&B, JF-17

The radar tells the IR seeker where to look, so due to the seeker being able to look exactly where the contact is the seeker will pickup the contact easier with the IR signature so you maybe able to lock onto the target beyond the missiles range (Especially if it has after burner on) so still take note of the contacts range with the radar

Edited by Blinky.ben

Yeah, I know that. You misunderstand. The seeker is already doing what you are saying on the HUD, but I was getting a firing solution tone way before I am used to (The target is a little more than 10nm from me head on aspect). This gives the impression that the radar is helping guide the missile a little before it actually detects the IR signature (kind of like with TWS, but with IR). That's my question.

I'm sure this is not the case but I wanted to confirm here. Is there any such function on the PL-5 or is the PL-5 just picking up an IR signature from really far away?

Yes and no.

The radar will find your target. but it I wont hear tone all the time.

your best bet is use radar to find the target, and I use the tiny circle ( honestly dont know if thats where the seeker head rlly is pointed but...) and try to get it over the box wehre the enemy is.

Usually if I do so suddenly I get a LOUD tone, if within 10 miles. fire and kill

If I fire with NO tone, it usually just flops

I cant seem to recall, is there a cage seam unseam

Yes and no.

The radar will find your target. but it I wont hear tone all the time.

your best bet is use radar to find the target, and I use the tiny circle ( honestly dont know if thats where the seeker head rlly is pointed but...) and try to get it over the box wehre the enemy is.

Usually if I do so suddenly I get a LOUD tone, if within 10 miles. fire and kill

If I fire with NO tone, it usually just flops

I cant seem to recall, is there a cage seam unseam

Yes there is a cage/seam button but I don’t recall what it is called within the bindings. But I do use it a lot and it works good

Yes there is a cage/seam button but I don’t recall what it is called within the bindings. But I do use it a lot and it works good

It's T2 Push.

if within 10 miles. fire and kill

You're firing PL-5s at 10 miles and getting hits? Really?

Edited by VC

VC

=X51= Squadron is recruiting!

X51 website: https://x51squadron.com/

Join our Discord: https://discord.gg/d9JtFY4

It's T2 Push.

You're firing PL-5s at 10 miles and getting hits? Really?

Rarely

Usually Im HIGH

40k ish

DCE campaign someone swapped Jeffs for flankers

so I fight the USN a lot

I gotta loft the sd10s or Im dead. then its run time. Sometimes I catch planes attacking the convoys or something, if theyre about 20k lower than me a 10 mile shot has hit.

Its NOT common and the plane was headed towards the missile. but fighting the US with F14s AND F18s, you need to launch your **** and run

10nm isnt even Rmax at altitude for these SRMs; for comparisom, the 9Ms Rmax is around 6nm on the deck. By 20kft its already at 10-12 (ive gotten a few kills from that range). And IIRC the PL-5 in DCS is faster than the 9M.

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg