Planes explode way too easily

domini99

Is it just me?

I find aircraft to explode waaaaayy to easily

My A-10C has dead engines, I decide to land it in a nearby field. I lower the gear, and it touches down. After it touched down, the nosewheel broke off, it bounced a time and KABOOOOOM massive explosion.

One time this really made me ragequit is when I had my A-10C severely shot up, I decided to try to land it. The landing was hard and my left gear leg broke and the plane started to skid of the side of the runway. The second the nosewheel got into the dirt the aircraft just blew up. Exploded, into a million pieces... Thanks ED.

This is not even fun anymore

Another thing that is really a problem with this: Mid air collisions.

They happen, I'm sorry. It just happens sometimes.

Flying the SU-27, dancing around an F15 and suddenly he comes real close and we tap wings.

The issue in DCS is, is that even when the wings just touch MICHEAL BAY SPLOSSIAAAAA

Am I the only one that thinks like this?

I don't even have the time to eject, if I would have collided a wing could have been torn off, either way forcing me to eject or trying to limp the jet back to a base, but in DCS it just explodes.

Look at this:

A collision in DCS like this, would end up with both jets just explode into thousands of tiny pieces without any chance of ejecting, because... well, the pilots died in the explosion.

I've noticed that especially the SU-27, can't survive any kind of collision. It just expodes instantly.

Am I literally the only one that's bothered by this?

I have always been annoyed by this, particularly when all FC3 jets had SFM. Any contact with the grass over a certain speed (~100knots) was instant explosion. You can belly land AFM/PFM planes in grass, though it becomes quick sand for the F-15/SU-27 if you roll into the grass. I've not had issues with the A-10 (when I flew it) blowing up upon touching grass.

There are indeed other more significant issues, but I would really value if this issue could be fixed.

IMO flying with damaged planes is also something that is part of the simulation.

Having your aircraft instantly explode when you close the canopy too hard is just not fun.

I see what you are talking about but don't expect this high fidelity damage modeling from old FC3 aircraft like the MiG-29.

If you try belly landings or light collisions with PFM models like the A-10C or the FW-190 for example you would be more satisfied. Losing a wing without getting roasted? No Problem!

Maybe one day ED will upgrade all FC3 planes to an AFM or better PFM but as long as this won't happen you will get what you have paid for...

budget module = more simple simulation.

i9 9900K @ 5,0GHz | 1080GTX | 32GB RAM | 256GB, 512GB & 1TB Samsung SSDs | TIR5 w/ Track Clip | Virpil T-50 Stick with extension + Warthog Throttle | MFG Crosswind pedals | Gametrix 908 Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have always been annoyed by this, particularly when all FC3 jets had SFM. Any contact with the grass over a certain speed (~100knots) was instant explosion. You can belly land AFM/PFM planes in grass, though it becomes quick sand for the F-15/SU-27 if you roll into the grass. I've not had issues with the A-10 (when I flew it) blowing up upon touching grass.
That's not true for the Su-27 and Su-25. With some training you can land and take of again on grass with both birds if the ground is flat. But don't expect all wheels to retract properly everytime.

That's not true for the Su-27 and Su-25. With some training you can land and take of again on grass with both birds if the ground is flat. But don't expect all wheels to retract properly everytime.

Someone else indicated it was an issue with the flanker but I guess not. In the Eagle, if you touch the grass and let your jet fall below a certain speed it gets stuck. If you land with no hydraulics and end up rolling off the runway, it does you no good to repair cause you'll never get your jet out of the mud.

Someone else indicated it was an issue with the flanker but I guess not. In the Eagle, if you touch the grass and let your jet fall below a certain speed it gets stuck. If you land with no hydraulics and end up rolling off the runway, it does you no good to repair cause you'll never get your jet out of the mud.
I think it is supposed that way. It shows the difference beetween wide, low presssure vs. narrow, high pressure tyres. That's also the reason why the first ones are prone to blow, the later ones are prone to get stuck.

Stuck in the mud is understandable. However, the jet exploding instead of the landing gear getting ripped off is unrealistic.

When you land in grass, and the gear clips in the mud at ~100 knots the gear should rip off, but instead the jet just explodes in a million pieces.

It is a simplification, and I am sure that at some point as the system evolves, it will improve. However it isn't a deal breaker as far as I'm concerned. There are far bigger fish to fry right now.

But yes, it would be a huge plus to have more sophisticated and realistic damage modelling.

While it is harsh to have both planes explode when they "tap wings", this isn't something that's ever going to end well. :)

Windows 10 Home, Intel Core i7-9700K @ 4.6GHz, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (8GB VRAM) on 34" LG curved monitor @ 3440x1440, 32GB RAM, TrackIR 3 (with Vector Expansion), Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Pedals, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs.

The damage modeling needs polishing.

I find it as well difficult to fly a A-10C as it loses both its engines or sub-systems for counter-measures etc way too easily from 7.62 caliber firing. Even Su-25A/T takes far more beating before it lose something important.

And the terrain modeling I put directly to the engine category, hoping 1.5 will fix it. As it isn't nice that a aircraft does crash landing in very shallow dives or slow speeds and it just blows up because it was corn field instead airfield.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

While it is harsh to have both planes explode when they "tap wings", this isn't something that's ever going to end well. :)

Haha no, I've had this after a massive collision in a training flight:

uploadfromtaptalk1442950300278.thumb.jpg.4437dd54fc32145d97eb0383c648c8de.jpg

But I lost hydraulics rapidly and decided to eject instead of limping it back to base.

But still, I could eject and this one lucky time it didn't explode in a million pieces. This is what I want, not some dank explosion and over with it.

The damage modeling needs polishing.

I find it as well difficult to fly a A-10C as it loses both its engines or sub-systems for counter-measures etc way too easily from 7.62 caliber firing. Even Su-25A/T takes far more beating before it lose something important.

And the terrain modeling I put directly to the engine category, hoping 1.5 will fix it. As it isn't nice that a aircraft does crash landing in very shallow dives or slow speeds and it just blows up because it was corn field instead airfield.

I don't know how tough it's supposed to be, but a simple BTR-80 cruisin' along can bring down the A-10 with a single burst of fire.

In all seriousness, I do agree with you. And why is it that the first few hits the Hog takes always seems to take out the MFCDs and HUD? Drives me nuts! (Maybe I need to learn how to not get hit...).

Windows 10 Home, Intel Core i7-9700K @ 4.6GHz, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (8GB VRAM) on 34" LG curved monitor @ 3440x1440, 32GB RAM, TrackIR 3 (with Vector Expansion), Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Pedals, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs.

In all seriousness, I do agree with you. And why is it that the first few hits the Hog takes always seems to take out the MFCDs and HUD? Drives me nuts! (Maybe I need to learn how to not get hit...).

That's probably the best

I do believe that AI in this game is too accurate. I mean some dude with an AK snipes my A-10 from miles ahead.

Just don't get too close, and don't fly over them and it should work out fine.

If there are too many, go high and use guided munition.

I think it is too easy to land on the grass :D. Real terrain is not as flat as in DSC.

Of all the planes I crash landed, the MiG-21 feels most realistic. It can be done, but it's always hairy.

Su-27 don't seem to need the runaway to land at all. It can land on grass completely undamaged. It will get stuck in the mud if it stops.

I just tried crash land A-10C (I only got it recently, I don't even know how to start it yet, so I'm no expert :D) - the nose wheel collapsed, but the plane didn't explode and I survived.

As for mid air collisions, I had one while practicing formation flying in Su-27. I touched the wing of a Yak-40 and it went down in smoke, but my Su-27 was still flyable.

Having said that, I do agree the damage model needs tweaking, especialy after seeing damaged AI Huey hit the ground and bounce back as if it's made of rubber. :D

That's probably the best

I do believe that AI in this game is too accurate. I mean some dude with an AK snipes my A-10 from miles ahead.

Just don't get too close, and don't fly over them and it should work out fine.

If there are too many, go high and use guided munition.

That I really hope get changed in future when the collision system for trees gets improved. Now in the latest news video update about DCS 1.5/2.0 Wags mentioned that all trees are colliable in the map (NTTR) instead just the ones around airfields and urban areas.

The wish is that the LOS system is possible to be implemented so the vehicles lasers, radars etc are blocked with the trees. And of course the blocked LOS means the AI doesn't even know where you are so they can't shoot you accurately.

And that means you would not need anymore try to fly and operate from munitions maximal distance but you can get your hands dirty and actually get low. Do low passes with cannons and rockets. Or seek concealment by driving vehicle behind trees or edge of the forest so the A-10C pilot will lose the lock on you etc.

At that point I could take the A-10C damage model and it being cut to half (counter measure systems, huds, MFCD etc disabled from first hits) because it would be more difficult to AI or human players to actually react, aim and fire a low flying A-10C that comes suddenly behind the trees with the cannon screaming.

Then I think we could rethink about the damage models from that part again as how often would aircrafts get hit.

But still as well that helicopter lands 2-3 meters a second nicely on the ground and the whole thing explodes. Sure it is lost aircraft by twisted fuselag etc but still. It wouldn't be a kill for enemy just scratching you ;)

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I think it is too easy to land on the grass :D. Real terrain is not as flat as in DSC.

Of all the planes I crash landed, the MiG-21 feels most realistic. It can be done, but it's always hairy.

Su-27 don't seem to need the runaway to land at all. It can land on grass completely undamaged. It will get stuck in the mud if it stops.

I just tried crash land A-10C (I only got it recently, I don't even know how to start it yet, so I'm no expert :D) - the nose wheel collapsed, but the plane didn't explode and I survived.

As for mid air collisions, I had one while practicing formation flying in Su-27. I touched the wing of a Yak-40 and it went down in smoke, but my Su-27 was still flyable.

Having said that, I do agree the damage model needs tweaking, especialy after seeing damaged AI Huey hit the ground and bounce back as if it's made of rubber. :D

I've only ever survived one mid air collision in my 27, I don't even know what I hit, it went so damn quick.

The A-10 still blows up on me quite often. Maybe it doesn't like me, I don't know

That I really hope get changed in future when the collision system for trees gets improved. Now in the latest news video update about DCS 1.5/2.0 Wags mentioned that all trees are colliable in the map (NTTR) instead just the ones around airfields and urban areas.

The wish is that the LOS system is possible to be implemented so the vehicles lasers, radars etc are blocked with the trees. And of course the blocked LOS means the AI doesn't even know where you are so they can't shoot you accurately.

And that means you would not need anymore try to fly and operate from munitions maximal distance but you can get your hands dirty and actually get low. Do low passes with cannons and rockets. Or seek concealment by driving vehicle behind trees or edge of the forest so the A-10C pilot will lose the lock on you etc.

At that point I could take the A-10C damage model and it being cut to half (counter measure systems, huds, MFCD etc disabled from first hits) because it would be more difficult to AI or human players to actually react, aim and fire a low flying A-10C that comes suddenly behind the trees with the cannon screaming.

Then I think we could rethink about the damage models from that part again as how often would aircrafts get hit.

But still as well that helicopter lands 2-3 meters a second nicely on the ground and the whole thing explodes. Sure it is lost aircraft by twisted fuselag etc but still. It wouldn't be a kill for enemy just scratching you ;)

Hahaha, I have some pretty bad memories about the helicopter part. It's called "vortex ring state"

"All goin' smooth, okay bring her down...." *fwop fwop fwop rumble rumble KABOOOM*

"Nice landing"