Windowed mode

It would be nice to be able to run DCS World in a different resolution and windowed than the modules. This way it would be easier to load custom profiles to controls and use other 3rd party programs (teamspeak, etc)

"It takes a big man to admit he is wrong...I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

5800X3D - 64gb ram - RTX3080 - Windows 11

Why can't you. Uncheck the fullscreen box and set the resolution to what you want.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Why can't you. Uncheck the fullscreen box and set the resolution to what you want.

He wants to be able to run the Options in windowed mode but the Sim in full-screen - without changing the options each time.

This is how it's done:

Navigate to ...\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\MissionEditor

and open the MissionEditor.lua with a proper editor (Notepad++)

Make a backup of this file before you change it!!!!!!

Than go to line #258

and change it from this:

fullscreen = true
to this:

fullscreen = false

Now go to line #311

and change it from this:

Gui.CreateWindow(width, height, fullscreen)
to this:

Gui.CreateWindow(1024, 768, fullscreen)

1024x768 is an example - You can put in your wished resolution for the windowed GUI.

Now every-time you start DCS-World the GUI will be windowed in the resolution you have set. But the Simulation will start as set in the options-menu .

Edited by PeterP

I see, said the blind man.;)

Nice trick, I will have to file that one away.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

• 6 months later...

No - you can't get the MP-GUI Windowed while running the Sim Full-screen - the MP-GUI is already part of the Running Simulation.

But you can resize it and set a new position by using this edit in your "monitorsetup".lua:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=84270

don't set it smaller than 1024x768 in DCS 1.2. !

but be aware that it can go completely fubar under certain circumstances:

>>DCS World GUI bugs

Edited by PeterP

• 2 years later...
Hi, guys!

When I try to save the mission editor.lua so I can run the DCS world in windowed mode, I got this error message, now what?? Please see attached. Thanks!

Cheers,

Vincent

Vinny, are you using Notepad++ to edit that? I would not try to edit it with anything else but that. But also make sure the game is not running before you mess with it. Not sure what else could be causing that error.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

YouTube ~ Twitch

It would also be nice to be able to run in windowed mode with SLi working, like in fullscreen.

My system:

Win 10, Amd Ryzen 3700@stock GTX1080 Ti, 34" Asus G-sync ultrawide monitor, Ipad Air, 32 gigs of 3600 ram, complete CH HOTAS setup, Oculus Rift CV1/Trackir5 and a Saitek Quadrant

Been simming since the Commodore 64. A few million polygons ago.

It would also be nice to be able to run in windowed mode with SLi working, like in fullscreen.

Isnt that a issue to take up with nVidia?

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Isnt that a issue to take up with nVidia?

Nope. "As always, we’ve worked closely with a number of developers to enable SLI in their games and game engines, and we continue to work with Monolith on Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor."

Link here.

In other words, both Nvidia and ED need to work on this to get it working as it should. I can bet my life that Nvidia wont come chasing ED to get SLi working in windowed though. There are some conflicting opinions on if SLi can work in windowed modes in the first place (considering other games as well), but it seems like the general consensus is that it DOES work. Crossfire doesnt.

What needs to be done for this to function properly I dont know at all (I'm not a developer), although I hope that DCS 2.0 will enable mfd's to be exported without using the "put them on another screen and grab" method, in case you use an ipad or somthing like that. I guess it wont.

Oh, and another thing. If the heat blurs or "every frame" options are enabled, the SLi also seems to become inefficient. This also goes for fullscreen mode.

Edited by ChrisIhao

My system:

Win 10, Amd Ryzen 3700@stock GTX1080 Ti, 34" Asus G-sync ultrawide monitor, Ipad Air, 32 gigs of 3600 ram, complete CH HOTAS setup, Oculus Rift CV1/Trackir5 and a Saitek Quadrant

Been simming since the Commodore 64. A few million polygons ago.