Current state

fatboy

Hi since we have the halloween sales i was thinking about getting the Channel map but i was wondering what state the map is in and what sort of updates it's been getting or will be getting.Any help would be great Cheers:helpsmilie:

MODULES: A10C Warthog,AH-64 D APACHE,AJS Viggen,AV8B Harrier,BF109 K4,C101 Aviojet,F14 Tomcat,F15E Eagle,F16 Viper,F5 Tiger,F86 Sabre,FA18C Hornet,FW190A8,FW190D9,I16 Ishak,JF17 Thunder,KA50 Blackshark,L39Albatros,Mirage2000C,Mirage F-1,MI24P,MI8MVT2,MIG15BIS,MIG19P,MIG21BIS,Mosquito FB VI,P51D Mustang,P47D Thunderbolt,SA342 Gazell,SpitfireIX,TF51D,UH1H Huey,Yak52.

OTHER:Flamming cliffs,Combined Arms,WW2 Assets Pack,SuperCarrier.

TERRAINS: Nevada,Caucasus,Normandy,Persian Gulf,Syria,Channel,Marianas. 

I wish I could say something positive.

I am concerned about this map. I mean the performance - especially in VR - is very poor compared to any other terrain. There are very few posts in this subforum, maybe 6 or 8 in the last 2 to 3 months. There are more or less no missions to speak of, and AFAICS, there have not been any real updates since it was released.

Maybe the map has been shelved temporarily to make way for more pressing tasks, and I hope I am wrong, but, as I said, I am concerned about its future.

It is however, a beautiful map!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Cheers for the response imacken. I'll give this one a miss i think.Thanks for your honesty.

MODULES: A10C Warthog,AH-64 D APACHE,AJS Viggen,AV8B Harrier,BF109 K4,C101 Aviojet,F14 Tomcat,F15E Eagle,F16 Viper,F5 Tiger,F86 Sabre,FA18C Hornet,FW190A8,FW190D9,I16 Ishak,JF17 Thunder,KA50 Blackshark,L39Albatros,Mirage2000C,Mirage F-1,MI24P,MI8MVT2,MIG15BIS,MIG19P,MIG21BIS,Mosquito FB VI,P51D Mustang,P47D Thunderbolt,SA342 Gazell,SpitfireIX,TF51D,UH1H Huey,Yak52.

OTHER:Flamming cliffs,Combined Arms,WW2 Assets Pack,SuperCarrier.

TERRAINS: Nevada,Caucasus,Normandy,Persian Gulf,Syria,Channel,Marianas. 

• 1 month later...

Map is in a terrible state guys.  Same as normandy, its dead in the water.  They appear more concerned on pushing out new bare bones content.  They need to start beefing up the modules they already have, or customer support will diminish!  We have been asking for more assets, both WW2 and modern for years and have been given scraps.  Possibly they are using the private customer to fund their military application side of things.  Hopefully they will listen to us and stop releasing modules until they have the current ones at a usable standard!

This map is absolutely beautiful at 20k feet.  However, you can literally go from 100fps at altitude to 15 fps close to the ground. I really wish they would optimize it. 

I am happy about the new damage models for the warbirds. They are absolutely amazing. I wish they would just keep working on existing content before pushing new maps and birds. 

Beautiful at 20k feet? I can't say I agree. It looks like a green carpet or pool table with the occasional wheat field squares. Treelines become invisible. Granted, there are some amazing things with this map, primarily the airfields, houses/cities and details at very LOW level, but this does not look like Europe at high altitude at all. An older competitor to DCS previously run by modders has a much, much more believable rendition of the same region (altitude), and that is years and years old. Hopefully modders will come along to enhance it down the line. For a cutting edge 2020 map I am not impressed. PG, NTTR and Syria are all much, much better renditions of their real life locations. The lack of iconic locations and airfields (Biggin Hill etc), meaningful progress and updates are not encouraging either. For now I much prefer Normandy with the Barthek reskin, which looks much better.

• Like 2