Accurate map for DCS 2.5 Caucasus theatre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accurate map for DCS 2.5 Caucasus theatre

After more than a year of hard work, here's a brand new accurate map for the DCS 2.5 Caucasus theatre. It was created to replace the good old -but obsolete- TC-1 map. Have fun with it.

V1.0 (2019-06-23) - Printable and accurate map for DCS 2.5 Caucasus theatre - GeoTIFF format

NEW! Here's the webmap : http://dcsmaps.com/caucasus/openlayers

Here are the vector data that were used to draw this map. Feel free to make your own maps, as long as you distribute them for free.

You can also find a compressed version of this map in the fantastic CombatFlite app by Viper39.

------------------------------------------------------

DESCRIPTION:
    This is not a real-life Caucasus map. This is a printable and accurate map for DCS 2.5 Caucasus theatre. It only shows what exists in the game, be it roads, railroads, rivers, lakes, coastline, urban areas, forests, bridges...

I dedicate this map to the mission creators out there. May it serve them well.

HOW TO USE IT:
    This map is brought to you as a very large GeoTIFF image. You can:
    * Open it with any powerful image editor (The GIMP, Photoshop...).
    * Open it with any powerful GIS editor (Quantum GIS, ArcGIS...) as a raster.

It is also available in a lower quality on the CombatFlite app by Viper39.

HOW IT WAS DONE:
    * Urban, vegetation and water areas were extracted from a HUGE image composed of screenshots of the DCS mission editor.
    * Rivers were all drawn by hand, one by one. Yes.
    * Roads and railroads were drawn by AI Humvees, thanks to a MOOSE script by Hardcard.
    * Relief shadows are from the ASTER GDEM.
    * Town labels and beacons are from ingame LUA files.
    * Airbases were drawn by hand.
    * Bridges were generated through SQL scripting.
    * Tunnels were drawn by hand.

HOW CAN I HELP?
    If you see any error or missing part, or even if you wish to see some information added, please PM me on the ED forum (user "Flappie").

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
    BaD_CrC, who's been supporting me from the beginning of the project
    All the others who kept encouraging me on the forums : davidp57, BlacleyCole, FoxDelta, M1Combat, rajdary, deep...
    Hardcard for his "Google car" scripting wisdom and the MOOSE community in general
    Viper39 for his incredible CombatFlite app
    Last but not least, Eagle Dynamics for their wonderful simulator. I was hooked since 2003 and I don't plan to leave.
    Last edited by Flappie; 03-28-2020, 07:30 PM.
    Accurate DCS 2.5 Caucasus map - v1.0

Amazing work ... really, hats off to you and all the people that helped produce this ... will download it right away and then see if there is a way to put it on my iPad pro and zoom-in with gestures

Thanks you, thank you
    Last edited by Rudel_chw; 06-28-2019, 11:34 PM.
    For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra
    For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 1500X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Windows 10 Pro - Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1
    Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Comment

Great work! Just amazing! Something I have wanted for years....

Now what I can start dreaming is that ED would allow this map to be used in A-10C, AV-8B N/A (etc in the future) modules as map in TAD / EHDS. I would be so happy to see a far more useful and clearer map there. (Yes, yes... Unrealistic etc bla bla bla.... but still a nice extra bonus feature for special tab).
      i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.
      i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Comment

Wow... Outstanding...! Thank you very much Sir.

sigpic

229th Assault Helicopter Battalion - Always Recruiting

If you have a passion for helicopter flight simulation and would like to fly in a friendly and supportive online multiplayer environment, then you’ve just put your skids down safely on the right page…!

DCS Squadron Recruiting Page for the 229th
        https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=267081

For details see our website at:
        http://1stcavdiv.forumotion.net/

Comment

Originally posted by Rudel_chw View Post
          Amazing work ... really, hats off to you and all the people that helped produce this ... will download it right away and then see if there is a way to put it on my iPad pro and zoom-in with gestures

Thanks you, thank you
          Thank you. All data are vectors, apart from the relief shadows. I'm planning to upload it as an interactive map (like Google Maps or OpenStreetMap) but I haven't found the best way to do it yet. Work in progress...

Comment

Amazing!!! Thanks!

If you are a dedicated pilot, a team player ... join us !!!

14th VFS Samurais Discord: https://discord.gg/uc9c7Vz
            Teamspeak: 14vfs.teamspeak3.com

Немој ништа силом, узми већи чекић!

MSI Tomahawk MAX | Ryzen 7 3700x | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | RX 5700 XT OC Red Dragon 8GB

Comment

Great work!!

Question: Has anyone tried having this printed at a Kinkos/FedEx or the like? If so, how much did it cost? How large was it? And did they hesitate to print?

Thanks!
              i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - GTX 1070 SC - 4k Display

"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."
              - Faramir

Comment

Thanks Flappie, you're amazing ; I admire your resilience, your ingeniosity and your technical talent !

Now, someone will have to finish my Kneepad.app ! (BadCrC, this should make you laugh ^^)
                Zip - VEAF

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum
                If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

Comment

Nicely done! Release your inner Navigator!
                  I don't need no stinkin' GPS! (except for PGMs )

sigpic

SPECS:
                  Spoiler:

i7-9700K - 64GB RAM
                  RTX 2070 SUPER - TCL 55" 4K
                  Corsair K70 RGB + Stream Deck 15/XL - TrackIR 4 Pro

TM Warthog, F-18 Grip w/ Mag Base, and 3 Cougar MFDs w/CH Pro Pedals
                  Win 10 Pro - 1TB M.2 SSD - Delta Sim TDC

HANGAR:
                  Spoiler:

A-10 AV-8 F-5/14/16/18/86 M-2K P-51 UH-1
                  FW-190 MiG-15/21 FC3 *Supercarrier* CombatFlite
                  Channel Nevada Normandy Persian Gulf Syria TACView WWII Assets

Comment

Simply amazing work thank you so much for sharing this with the community
                    sigpic
                    The Fraternity - Georgia Reign - PvE MP
                    24/7 Server: 107.150.36.234:10308
                    Live Map& Stats: Georgia Reign
                    Join Our Discord

Comment

Congratulations Flappie! This is an amazing work you have done here, and a very hard and tedious one! I am sure your map will become the reference in the DCS community for years to come, a.k.a the « Flappie map ». You just entered in the very restricted pantheon of the DCS community.

Comment

Thank you very much for your efforts !
                        Anton.

My pit build thread .
                        Simple and cheap UFC project

Comment

Thank you Flappie!!! Much appreciated!

Comment

Yes a ton of work well done . Any word on the pdf version ?
                            9700k , Aorus Pro wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , EVGA 1070 FE , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Hotas on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , RiftS

"Hold my beer"

Comment

Yes, QuantumGIS crashes when I try a PDF export. The vector version will take me some more time. I'm still trying to figure out how to make a PDF file of that size...

Comment

Originally posted by Flappie View Post
                                Yes, QuantumGIS crashes when I try a PDF export. The vector version will take me some more time. I'm still trying to figure out how to make a PDF file of that size...
                                Thank you !
                                9700k , Aorus Pro wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , EVGA 1070 FE , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Hotas on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , RiftS

"Hold my beer"

Comment

This is awesome, thank you!

The level of work and time investment that's gone into this cannot be understated...quite an effort!

Cheers,
                                  Brick.
                                  9700k@5.2Ghz | GTX 1080ti | 32gb Ram@3200Mhz | 512gb M.2 NVME SSD
                                  Oculus Rift S | VKB GF Pro Mk.II+MCG Pro (rotary wing) | BRD DS-Raven (fixed wing) | MFG Crosswind V2 | Jetseat+SSA/SSM | SimLab GT1 80/20 Rig | NLR Motion Platform V3 | Quad Bass Shaker Setup
                                  DIY Control Panels: 'White Rhino' Throttle | UFC | MFBB Left | MFBB Right | MFBB Centre | WEP-TECH ACP | HYD-MECH LDG | SYS-ELEC | AN/ARC Radio

Comment

Spoiler:

sigpic

Comment

Thank you, you made my day!

Comment

stunning, flappie, thx for all your hard work and time
                                        my projects:

https://www.sim-addons.com/

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/sim-addons-1

AV8B nozzle lever
                                        https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=233670
                                        F18C fingerlifts
                                        https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=234747
                                        F18C radar elevation
                                        https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=248080

Comment

Working...
                                        X