No announcement yet.

Accurate map for DCS 2.5 Caucasus theatre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flappie thanks for all the great input to the community, your map is great (using with CF) and now webmaps looks to be another great addition for sim fans.

There is tons of useful data that can be added to the map, but I'd like to ask for some kind of simple ruler to measure distance and heading as things with the higher priority. Distance is covered, please think about adding simple measurement of the track/headings. With that VFR flight planing would be much, much easier.

Thank you in advance for consideration of this feature request!
    Zapraszam na Gildia.org - polska społeczność DCS.

Comment

Originally posted by VladMordock View Post
      Flappie thanks for all the great input to the community, your map is great (using with CF) and now webmaps looks to be another great addition for sim fans.

There is tons of useful data that can be added to the map, but I'd like to ask for some kind of simple ruler to measure distance and heading as things with the higher priority. Distance is covered, please think about adding simple measurement of the track/headings. With that VFR flight planing would be much, much easier.

Thank you in advance for consideration of this feature request!
      Hey, thank you for your support! This feature is already on my TODO list.
      Here it is:

1. Add beacons (imminent)
      2. Add landmarks (need to split data into two different layers - landmarks should be online within a week)
      3. Add heading to measurement tool (I also plan to add a list of waypoints, but I'm a crappy programmer, so bear with me)
      4. Add peaks
      5. Add Maximum Elevation Figures
      Accurate DCS 2.5 Caucasus map - v1.0

Comment

Hi Flappy,

Following your mapping thread since the beginning. Great effort you have put so far.
        What a stunning new development. I am walking the same road as you, working currently on a web app and exporting scenery objects as well as grouping them e.g to factory complexes.
        See Project Dynamism - Persistence and Dynamic Content Creation Framework for DCS World

In my case they are targets for dynamically created missions and damage persistence.
        • bridges
        • factories with smokestacks
        • communication towers
        • weather radars
        • oil platforms and pumps

For exporting points of interest in any DCS map I am using DCS Witchcraft and a custom LUA script to search for scenery objects. It creates GeoJSON format with X/Y/Z and Lat/Lon corrdinates.
        Interesting objects you can find by inspecting the ZIP files in <DCS_Installation_Folder>\Mods\terrains\<terrain>\Models\
        Code:
        e.g.
        \Mods\terrains\Caucasus\Models\BlockBuildings\BlockBuildings.preview.zip
        \Mods\terrains\Caucasus\Models\CaucasusAFBbuildings_new\CaucasusAFBbuildings_new.preview.zip

If you are interested I can provide you the script and instructions how to get DCS Witchcraft working.
        It should then be straightforward to automatically listing ingame navaids like towers, stadiums, bridges, smokestacks, remarkable buildings, etc.

BTW: In map #60 How did you get the oil derriks (the illuminated towers) exported? I can only get the pumps.
        The derriks themselves seem somehow exist only in a hidden state (even AI can not attack them properly)
        Check Out:
        Project Dynamism - Persistence and Dynamic Content Creation Framework for DCS World and on DCS Forum

Comment

Hi, and thank you for the offer! I would be very happy to use your magic to retrieve all interesting buildings. Please, teach me your ways, Sensei!

So, you want to know my little secret to locate all the derricks, uh? Simple! Since I had no solution to my problem, I "simply" followed an AI Viggen flying all over the map, and I spotted the buildings of interest with my own eyes, in F2 view. It took me around 3 days. Then I put a unit in the middle of all these buildings in the ME, and I retrieved their coordinates thanks to a MOOSE script.

You'll find my list with coordinates attached to the present post, derricks included. I'm pretty sure all derricks are in there, because they are visible from far away in the game. And I'm also pretty sure I'm missing a few buildings of interest (mostly stadiums).

PS: Your project rocks! I'll have a look.
          Attached Files

Comment

Beacons have been added to the webmap.
            Don't forget to zoom-in if you want them to appear.

Comment

Hi Flappie,

Let me introduce you to the magical world of automation then

1) First you need DCS Witchcraft and integrate it into DCS World
              - Original project see https://jboecker.github.io/dcs-witchcraft/
              - Original download + instructions see https://github.com/jboecker/dcs-witchcraft
              - Problem is the included NodeJS version. Needs to be replaced by newer one, see: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.p...52#post4199952

2) Then set up and run a "Witchcraft enabled" mission in DCS and connect to it via http://localhost:3000/console.html

3) Fire the following script in the Witchcraft LUA Console while the mission is unpaused... might take a time... especially for first execution
              Code:
              -------------------------------------------------------------------
              -- scenery object as GeoJSON
              -------------------------------------------------------------------
              local foundUnits = {}	 
              local volS = {id = world.VolumeType.SPHERE,params = {point = {x = 0,y = 0,z = 0},radius = 2000000000}}
              local ifFound = function(foundItem, val)
                  if string.match(foundItem:getTypeName(), 'METEOBURO') then
              		local point = foundItem:getPoint()
              		local lat,lon,alt = coord.LOtoLL(point)
                      local entry = {
              			type = 'Feature',
              			geometry = {
              				type = 'Point',
              				coordinates = { lon, lat }
              			},
              			properties = {
              				uid = foundItem.id_,
              				type = foundItem:getTypeName(),
              				location = {
              					x = point.z,
              					y = point.x,
              					z = point.y
              				}
              			}
                  	}
                  	foundUnits[#foundUnits + 1] = entry
                  end
              end

world.searchObjects(Object.Category.SCENERY, volS, ifFound)

return foundUnits
              4) The result is a GeoJSON (minus some header and footer).
              - Copy paste the result into
              Code:
              {
                  "type": "FeatureCollection",
                  "features": 
                       <copy_Witchcraft_output_here>
              }
              - Now you can paste the whole thing here for a nice map view: http://www.geojsonlint.com/

Thats it!

Important for your scenery object search is the "TypeName".
              For the example here I use "METEOBURO" which is some kind of weather radar with round cupola on a stone tower.
              Many more interesting objects with thumbnail picture and type name you get from the \Mods\terrains\<terrain>\Models\ folder mentioned in the post before.

To get you easier started I packaged all together in a ZIP you can download here:
              https://wetransfer.com/downloads/bd8...3152259/3beaad
              30 MB, link valid for 7 days
              - put "witchcraft.lua" into your DCS user files directory something like C:\Users\<username>\Saved Games\DCS\Scripts
              - adapt "MissionScripting.lua" in your DCS installation folder something like C:\Games\DCS World 2\Scripts to match the one in the ZIP (Attention, your DCS installation is now vulnerable to malicious missionscripts, see Witchcraft documentation)
              - start DCS and run the contained mission Witchcraft_CAU.miz (if you trust me , it basically only contains MIST library and the trigger to connect to Witchcraft)
              - put "DCS Witchcraft" folder wherever you want. Run the "witchcraft.cmd" in the "windows" subfolder. Once DCS is connected you can open your browser to http://localhost:3000/console.html and the Witchcraft LUA console should appear...

Have fun!
              Check Out:
              Project Dynamism - Persistence and Dynamic Content Creation Framework for DCS World and on DCS Forum

Comment

Great, thanks a bunch!

Comment

Do any of you find any use in the DME/VOR/TACAN frequencies ? (in blue below). I plan to remove those to only show channels and short name.

Example :
                  VOR Tbilissi = 113.7 MHz TB Ch 84
                  DME Mozdok = 820 MHz MZ Ch 20
                  TACAN Batumi = 135.90 MHz BTM Ch 16

Comment

At least for the helicopters there is no channel numbering that correspond to the official channel numbers you propose, only some equipment with channels from say 1 to 10 wher the frequencies are set in ME. So to me it would be nice to have the frequencies avaliable for the other equipment with manual frequency settings.
                    Helicopters and Viggen
                    DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta
                    Win7 Pro 64bit
                    i7-3820 3.60GHz
                    P9X79 Pro
                    32GB
                    GTX 670 2GB
                    VG278H + a Dell
                    PFT Lynx
                    TrackIR 5

Comment

Alright, sir. All beacons will then be displayed as:

Frequency Channel Callsign (and maybe some day, Morse code)

VOR Tbilissi = 113.7 Ch 84 TB
                      DME Mozdok = 820.0 Ch 20 MZ
                      TACAN Batumi = 135.9 Ch 16 BT

Is that OK?

Comment

To me it looks perfectly fine. The morse code as an underscore of that information would be nice...eventually ;-)
                        Helicopters and Viggen
                        DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta
                        Win7 Pro 64bit
                        i7-3820 3.60GHz
                        P9X79 Pro
                        32GB
                        GTX 670 2GB
                        VG278H + a Dell
                        PFT Lynx
                        TrackIR 5

Comment

Let's go, then.
                          I might find an elegant solution to enable the Morse codes in the webmap. Note that it's way easier to implement those on the static map (the one featured in CombatFlite).

Comment

It would be a nice feature, but if complicated just let it be.
                            Without knowing how these things are developed, I can understand it's more complicated than the static map. All content being dynamic in size with zoom levels and such, making it look good on the screen. I have noticed some clipping of text when using the WMS in Oruxmaps on my phone and I guess it has something to do with the DPI/PPI (text being really small too). But it's a minor thing and a very special case not part of the main functionality, so don't bother about it. I just mentioned it as an example of why it's more complicated.
                            Helicopters and Viggen
                            DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta
                            Win7 Pro 64bit
                            i7-3820 3.60GHz
                            P9X79 Pro
                            32GB
                            GTX 670 2GB
                            VG278H + a Dell
                            PFT Lynx
                            TrackIR 5

Comment

Hi Flappie,

Any luck with the export script?
                              Hope it will be useful for you and allow to automate some of the boring tasks.

You think it will be possible to use your realistic Caucasus map in my project?
                              The webapp I'm developing uses Leaflet, not OpenLayers. It can consume tile layers, WMS and GeoJSON.

Also, you managed to export the true DCS road network of Caucasus, right? So in theory it can be used to place vehicles on road and to check if and how they can reach a given destination (e.g. path finding).

The rivers and water bodies could serve as natural boundaries of movement.

Were you able to export/outline the forests as well?

Cheers
                              Check Out:

Comment

Hi, I haven't messed with your script yet. You kind of scared me: I don't want to break my DCS! And I'm busy with the data I was able to collect manually. Would you be so kind and collect the data I'm looking for, please? All that you can see on the map but the hillshades are vector data. I can provide them, no problem. I first need to update my public repository. I've tried Leaflet but it was a bit slow compared to OpenLayers2. I'm OK to try, though. I've already been asked for this kind of interaction, but I haven't been through yet. This is not my specialty at all.

Those are:

-Stadiums
                                -TV masts
                                -Comm towers
                                -Derricks
                                -Lighthouses
                                -Wheather domes
                                -Observatories

In the meantime, I've just released an upgrade to the webmap. It contains all of the above that I collected manually (I'm pretty sure I missed afew of them), plus 2 oil platforms. I've also removed the DME/VOR/TACAN frequencies, because they don't seem to be used much. Have fun you all!

I'm now back to coding stuff. I want to improve the measurement tool by adding heading info.

The GeoTIFF / Combat Flite map will be updated but I don't know when. I must find a way to produce even bigger maps to have a decent max-zoom level.

Last edited 05-17-2020, 12:05 AM.

Comment

Morse codes were added!

Comment

Looking good! [emoji106]
                                    Helicopters and Viggen
                                    DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta
                                    Win7 Pro 64bit
                                    i7-3820 3.60GHz
                                    P9X79 Pro
                                    32GB
                                    GTX 670 2GB
                                    VG278H + a Dell
                                    PFT Lynx
                                    TrackIR 5

Comment

Not really: you have a problem with tiles. They make a mess with the labels. I've already bumped into this bug. I had to declare "singleTile=true" in OpenLayers.

Comment

Originally posted by Flappie View Post
                                        Not really: you have a problem with tiles. They make a mess with the labels. I've already bumped into this bug. I had to declare "singleTile=true" in OpenLayers.
                                        I haven't seen it in the web map, only in Oruxmaps, so I concluded it being part of the special case issues I mentioned earlier, the one I don't want you to waste time on. But if you believe it's not a big thing to fix then I definitely appreciate you looking into it.
                                        I for sure wouldn't call it "a mess", the overall experience and look is amazing, you have done a great job so far!
                                        Helicopters and Viggen
                                        DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta
                                        Win7 Pro 64bit
                                        i7-3820 3.60GHz
                                        P9X79 Pro
                                        32GB
                                        GTX 670 2GB
                                        VG278H + a Dell
                                        PFT Lynx
                                        TrackIR 5

Comment

I've looked a bit at Oruxmaps documentation, but I haven't found much about tiles tweaking so far, sorry.

I'm trying to add bearing next to the measurement tool distance. It shows up, but it's all wrong. I don't know what's happening. I've tried two methods from different sources and they return the same bearing. I'm starting to believe something is wrong with my map.

For instance:
                                          Batumi runway 31 shows a bearing of 312 instead of 306 (+6).
                                          Anapa runway 04 shows a bearing of 45 instead of 42 (+3).

Maykop runway 22 shows a bearing of 224 instead of 219 (+5).
                                          Beslan runway 28 shows a bearing of 282 instead of 274 (+8 ).
                                          Gudauta runway 15 shows a bearing of 156 instead of 151 (+5).

Comment

Working...
                                          X