No announcement yet.

Accurate map for DCS 2.5 Caucasus theatre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm back! I was silent for quite a while because I'd encountered a lot of issues making my own webmap server. Today, I've fixed most of the issues. Expect a brand new tool in the weeks to come.
    Accurate DCS 2.5 Caucasus map - v1.0

Comment

+1

Comment

Nice, welcome back !
        Zip - VEAF

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum
        If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

Comment

[emoji106]
          Helicopters and Viggen
          DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta
          Win7 Pro 64bit
          i7-3820 3.60GHz
          P9X79 Pro
          32GB
          GTX 670 2GB
          VG278H + a Dell
          PFT Lynx
          TrackIR 5

Comment

Can't wait to see that Flappie! Welcome back!

Comment

Even if it's not featuring the radio beacons yet, here's a first version of the Caucasus webmap: http://dcsmaps.com/caucasus/openlayers

It lags a little from time to time, probably because I've chosen a cheap hosting offer.
              Please tell me what you think about it.
              Last edited 03-28-2020, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Only tested on my phone, but it's really looking promising!
                Good job!
                May I ask, is there a possibility to get access to the tile server URL or WMS/WMTS for it? I hope to be able to add it in the mobile maping tool I use, Oruxmaps.
                Helicopters and Viggen
                DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta
                Win7 Pro 64bit
                i7-3820 3.60GHz
                P9X79 Pro
                32GB
                GTX 670 2GB
                VG278H + a Dell
                PFT Lynx
                TrackIR 5

Comment

Originally posted by Holton181 View Post
                  May I ask, is there a possibility to get access to the tile server URL or WMS/WMTS for it? I hope to be able to add it in the mobile maping tool I use, Oruxmaps.
                  The way the map is currently displayed is only half WMS. I used OpenLayers2, which is kind of old. I'm working on an OL6 layout, which will feature full WMS support. I hope it will be way faster.

Comment

Originally posted by Flappie View Post
                    The way the map is currently displayed is only half WMS. I used OpenLayers2, which is kind of old. I'm working on an OL6 layout, which will feature full WMS support. I hope it will be way faster.
                    [emoji106]
                    Helicopters and Viggen
                    DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta
                    Win7 Pro 64bit
                    i7-3820 3.60GHz
                    P9X79 Pro
                    32GB
                    GTX 670 2GB
                    VG278H + a Dell
                    PFT Lynx
                    TrackIR 5

Comment

That's excellent, thanks Flappie !
                      Do you think that we can help with hosting ? Are there any fees on your side ?
                      Zip - VEAF

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum
                      If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

Comment

Thank you.
                        I'm using a paying hosting service, yes. It costs me around $90 a year, domain name included. That's not much. If the server gets crowded someday, I might add a "Donate" button to host the webmap on a better server.

Comment

And we'll donate, promised !
                          Zip - VEAF

Comment

I'll update the webmap very soon with a new ruler tool and the "donate" link.

In other news:

1/ I've found out one can easily replace the ingame kneeboard map tiles. I want to make a kneeboard mod out of my GeoTIFF map. It might take some time because I need to reproject my map in the exact same projection used in the original kneeboard map. I don't know yet if this mod will break the integrity check or not.

2/ Viktor_UHPK has asked me to add some stuff, like minimum off-route altitude (MOR) and navaids (lighthouses, TV masts...). If you want, you can help by listing ingame navaids in this sheet. And if you know an automatic way of listing those, please tell me.

Comment

I'll update the webmap very soon...
                              Hi Flappie,
                              Love what you've done so far. Just wondering if you plan to add more zoom levels to the WMS map? For us rotor-heads it would be very nice to get more low level details. But I also know high zoom levels require a lot of storage space for the tiles.
                              Helicopters and Viggen
                              DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta
                              Win7 Pro 64bit
                              i7-3820 3.60GHz
                              P9X79 Pro
                              32GB
                              GTX 670 2GB
                              VG278H + a Dell
                              PFT Lynx
                              TrackIR 5

Comment

Storage is not the issue. Quantum GIS 3 keeps crashing when I try to render a bigger map. I've been looking for a solution, but nothing so far. Let's hope QGIS will do better in a next build.

Comment

Storage is not the issue. Quantum GIS 3 keeps crashing when I try to render a bigger map. I've been looking for a solution, but nothing so far. Let's hope QGIS will do better in a next build.
                                  Ah, that's a bummer. I cross my fingers...
                                  Helicopters and Viggen
                                  DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta
                                  Win7 Pro 64bit
                                  i7-3820 3.60GHz
                                  P9X79 Pro
                                  32GB
                                  GTX 670 2GB
                                  VG278H + a Dell
                                  PFT Lynx
                                  TrackIR 5

Comment

I've added a ruler to the webmap! (double-click to finish a measurement)
                                    I'm now working my way to add the headings.

I will soon add radio beacons and MORAs.

Comment

Excellent ! This most useful feature allowed me to measure the way we drove yesterday during the Rallye des Ailés : 311km in the mountains, from Beslan to Kutaisi.

Merci Flappie for your outstanding work !

PS : I searched a bit but couldn't find a database with the navaids in the DCS files (although I found that all the cities are listed in Mods\terrains\Caucasus\Map\towns.lua, which I used in a script of my own ^^)
                                      Zip - VEAF

Comment

Funny rally event! I'm glad the new tool was put to good use so quickly.

Yes, I used the very same LUA file to display the town names on my map.

Comment

Coming soon: new data!
                                          • MEFs (Maximum Elevation Figures)
                                          • Landmarks (oil derricks, tv towers, comm towers, lighthouses...)

Comment

Working...
                                          X